Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would it void the warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered a MS and don't expect delivery before September at the earliest however inevitably I have already been looking at possible modifications before it has even arrived....

One thing that I would really like to do is to make the frunk/froot automatic, I have seen them online (Model S Power Frunk Lift Kit — EV Accessories Ltd.) and was curious to know if a modification like this would void the Tesla warranty?
Anyone know?

short answer - maybe. depends on what could be proven/isolated from 12v battery system vs more mechanical type issues.

I don't think it can void the entire car warranty but if you had for example a failing 12v system, could you 100% guarantee that it wasn't the lift kit draining the battery ? Tricky one, especially if Tesla dig their heels in.

It's not the most invasive mod ever though so if you get it fitted by someone who knows their stuff, or you are a professional installer yourself - then it's not a massive risk imo.

Reactions: Jerryjal
Somebody bodged the wiring really badly onto the 12v battery following the manufacturers guide and Tesla had to sort it out and it wasn;t cheap as it killed the 12v battery.

I'm all for mods and individual customiosation but get the frunk wrong or it misbehaves when driving and you're into a lot or pain. Personally, recognising everyone is different, I've not seen the need in 5 years of MS ownership.

Somebody bodged the wiring really badly onto the 12v battery following the manufacturers guide and Tesla had to sort it out and it wasn;t cheap as it killed the 12v battery.

I'm all for mods and individual customiosation but get the frunk wrong or it misbehaves when driving and you're into a lot or pain. Personally, recognising everyone is different, I've not seen the need in 5 years of MS ownership.
It porbably depends what you’re used to. I’ve had a powered tailgate on cars for the past 6years and find it much more convenient. I was even unhappy when I “upgraded” my Merc from a c class to a CLS and lost the foot sensor.

It’s definitely a mod I have to have. I hadn’t considered affecting the warranty though :(

I'd suggest living with the car for a short while at least before doing this.

Everyone's needs are different of course, but personally I opened the 'frunk' once when I got it and have not used it in the 2 years since then...

The hidden storage area below the floor in the boot is way more useful, and larger...

Last edited:
I'd suggest living with the car for a short while at least before doing this.

Everyone's needs are different of course, but personally I opened the 'frunk' one when I got it and have not used it in the 2 years since then...

The hidden storage area below the floor in the boot is way more useful, and larger...

I have just ordered my Model 3 and have spent ages looking at “upgrades” but I think this is the best advice, drive it for a couple of months and see what “bothers” you

Reactions: Jerryjal and Neilio
Yeah, it really is sound advice. Even though I said the boot is a must have for me, just because it’s what I’m used to, the drunk is another matter. This will be my third car with a frunk. The first one I had I didn’t use the frunk at all. The second one, I used it more than the boot so I’m going to see how I get on with the M3 before I shell out on the frunk opener.

The boot is the boot, the worst that happens is it becomes a spoiler.

The frunk, you'll probably do what many do, stick your UMC and type 2 cable in there, maybe a tyre compressor and then only open it when you need one of those items. It's just a glorified glove box in practice.

As an aside, the frunk is not secure, so don't leave valuables in there (accepting a UMC and Type 2 cable can be worth £500 between them). It can be opened in a few seconds with a battery on a M3.

upload_2020-8-2_8-6-8.png