Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would not update car if you have a road trip coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey @TikiNiki if you like you can ignore all the advice to hold it this way or that way. Its got nothing to do with where you hold wheel.
Its all to do with how the car knows your hand is there, that's all.
Just hold it where its comfortable.

It’s all about slightly resisting the steering movements initiated by Autosteer, or by coaxing it where you would like it to go.
It isn’t a grip sensor or a heat sensor or a camera looking at the wheel. It just detects resistance to movement (torque)
Here's a two step process :)
Step 1 - assuming AP engaged
Relax your arms and you will start to feel the tiny steering wheel movements as autosteer tries to keep the car in the lane.

Step 2
Apply very slight resistance to the movements. The car will detect those and not nag.
There is no step 3

Basically, if you can feel the cars steering movements with your hand, the car will be able to "feel" your hand there - and not nag.
The biggest change with this version is that they now recognize lighter touches on the wheel.
I've only had one nag and that was when I didn't touch the wheel at all to see what the message looked like.

The upside of doing this is when you really want to push the car and manually drive around some twisty bits, you will feel the car reacting to your inputs in a most satisfying way :cool:
Hope that helps!

Reactions: Troy916
You guys are definitely either applying incorrect torque (remember dont just grip or squeeze - that doesnt do anything) or there might be an issue with your car after the update.

See this quick video of the amount of torque you have to apply to get rid of the nag:

Only slight resistance

Now just apply that much all the time and youre golden
Thanks for reposting this video. I could not find it again. It is pretty clear that the amount of torque is very small. I actually did this myself (without video proof) this weekend. And of course this is only required when you do not have your hand(s) on the wheel which allows you to use resistance as the wheel makes slight movement. I.E. only required if no hands on the wheel or the wheel does not move on a absolutely straight road (rare). Even on a straight road there is normally some wheel movement.

And like you said, there could be a problem with a particular car after the update which might require reboot/reset (and more) or a visit to SC.

Last edited:
Went on a trip this weekend with 200 miles on AP and received an excruciating THREE whole nags (/s). One was when I had been off the wheel for a while, and the other two were on boringly straight paths of the highway where i felt the car never adjusted itself and the wheel maintained in position not requiring any torque application.

I am typically driving with 2-4 fingers resting at the bottom of the wheel while in AP (similar to a picture further up in this thread). The amount of complaints in this thread has to be from people that just don't want to touch the wheel at all while driving.

Went on a trip this weekend with 200 miles on AP and received an excruciating THREE whole nags (/s). One was when I had been off the wheel for a while, and the other two were on boringly straight paths of the highway where i felt the car never adjusted itself and the wheel maintained in position not requiring any torque application.

I am typically driving with 2-4 fingers resting at the bottom of the wheel while in AP (similar to a picture further up in this thread). The amount of complaints in this thread has to be from people that just don't want to touch the wheel at all while driving.

I did 80 miles in my AP2 car on Friday and only had a few nags. They weren't too annoying so I didn't bother counting or timing them.

I drove 120 miles in an AP2.5 car yesterday and probably got over 200 nags. The other driver got just as many nags and gave up on using autopilot for the other 250 miles of the trip because they were so frequent. We both had a hand or two on the steering wheel at all times when we were driving. Holding the steering wheel didn't do anything to prevent the nags from showing up on this car. He had the same issue on the 375 mile trip on Saturday but I didn't do any of the driving that day so I didn't know how bad it really was until I tried it myself on Sunday. After just 30 minutes, I was about to give up and tried rebooting. That didn't fix the issue.

I did 80 miles in my AP2 car on Friday and only had a few nags. They weren't too annoying so I didn't bother counting or timing them.

I drove 120 miles in an AP2.5 car yesterday and probably got over 200 nags. The other driver got just as many nags and gave up on using autopilot for the other 250 miles of the trip because they were so frequent. We both had a hand or two on the steering wheel at all times when we were driving. Holding the steering wheel didn't do anything to prevent the nags from showing up on this car. He had the same issue on the 375 mile trip on Saturday but I didn't do any of the driving that day so I didn't know how bad it really was until I tried it myself on Sunday. After just 30 minutes, I was about to give up and tried rebooting. That didn't fix the issue.
Please explain "rebooting". I think most here feel there is something wrong with the AP2.5 car if you are doing the same as you did in the prior version and the AP2 car. I have a AP2.5 Model S and I never get a NAG doing the same as I did in the prior version. I did reboot "everything" which is something I have recently be doing with each new version.

Please explain "rebooting". I think most here feel there is something wrong with the AP2.5 car if you are doing the same as you did in the prior version and the AP2 car. I have a AP2.5 Model S and I never get a NAG doing the same as I did in the prior version. I did reboot "everything" which is something I have recently be doing with each new version.
I rebooted by holding both the scroll wheels. I also rebooted the instrument cluster by holding in the top buttons on the steering wheel. Those reboots didn't reduce the number of nags at all. After we got home, someone suggested we try powering off the car so we'll try that next.

There is definitely a problem with some cars. It might not be in every car...but some cars are nagging drivers constantly, no matter how they hold the steering wheel. We're going to take both cars out again this week and drive the exact same stretches of road, same speeds, same drivers, etc. and see how the two cars compare.

I rebooted by holding both the scroll wheels. I also rebooted the instrument cluster by holding in the top buttons on the steering wheel. Those reboots didn't reduce the number of nags at all. After we got home, someone suggested we try powering off the car so we'll try that next.

There is definitely a problem with some cars. It might not be in every car...but some cars are nagging drivers constantly, no matter how they hold the steering wheel. We're going to take both cars out again this week and drive the exact same stretches of road, same speeds, same drivers, etc. and see how the two cars compare.
Doing the power off and waiting 3-5 minutes is an important part of the solution that you missed. Also, others have suggested you toggle off/on the auto pilot feature (I think the are two options with one saying beta).

Since you do not have a problem with your AP2 car and only have a problem with the AP2.5 car (with the same driver) while most of us do not have a problem with our AP2.5 cars there most be an issue with your AP2.5 car. I think most of us believe in your case there is definitely a problem with your AP2.5 car. Which if none of the solutions (reboot/reset/power off) work then I would take it in for service. Maybe bring both cars for the test drive with SC to prove your point. Simply makes no sense that it is not a problem for so many but an issue for some.

Doing the power off and waiting 3-5 minutes is an important part of the solution that you missed. Also, others have suggested you toggle off/on the auto pilot feature (I think the are two options with one saying beta).

Since you do not have a problem with your AP2 car and only have a problem with the AP2.5 car (with the same driver) while most of us do not have a problem with our AP2.5 cars there most be an issue with your AP2.5 car. I think most of us believe in your case there is definitely a problem with your AP2.5 car. Which if none of the solutions (reboot/reset/power off) work then I would take it in for service. Maybe bring both cars for the test drive with SC to prove your point. Simply makes no sense that it is not a problem for so many but an issue for some.
We got home late last night and will be trying the "power off" step today to see if it helps.

The method that AP uses to detect your hand(s) on the wheel has been discussed in this thread ad nauseum. If those who are still having problems are truly following that advice then I suspect a problem with the (lack of) sensitivity in the torque sensor in the steering wheel. It's probably worth a SC appointment or at least a phone call. Maybe the sensitivity can be adjusted remotely.

For me it requires more torque than previously, I find myself shaking my hand out as it get stiff. It's that constant subtle flex in in my finger to apply the resistance. I turned it off on long straight stretch so I could relax my hand. It may be minor but it does require more force than actual driving and that is not good.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I find that if I wrap one hand or both near the bottom of the steering wheel (7 o'clock for the left or 5 o'clock for the right), relax my arms, and allow the wheel to carry my hands/arms around as it moves, it provides a good balance of sufficient torque to register as hands-on and relaxation for my hands/arms. I also positioned my seat and steering wheel such that my arms don't have to be raised far above my lap. And if something goes awry with the auto steer, my hands are already on the wheel and ready to respond. As a disclaimer, this is just my preference, so try it at your own risk. :cool: Enjoy the rest of your road trip!

While I find the constant warnings annoying, I also find that I can generally abate the need for warning while keeping my right had poised near the bottom of the wheel, just sort of hanging there. That allows enough torque. And I find that there is generally enough time between warnings to let go and take a drink of water or adjust other items as needed. It would be nice if the driver could ELECT time intervals for the warnings.