Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would the Car Have Hit One of These Traffic Stanchions? [on NOA]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The video doesn't show the car's screen, but it appears the lane line markers went away, so the car lost the right edge of the lane, and the stanchions were not recognized by the system. You made the right call taking over.

Oddly enough it looks like others have hit them as well - since a few are lying on the ground. Was the car trying to route the lane that was closed?

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
It likely depends on what it "sees". They appear to be an orangish color so it could or should have identify them as cones and avoid (like it does with orange barrels). Also white or metal colored ones tend to show up as small "poles" on the visualization which I think it would also avoid. Seems the odd colors are the ones it doesn't "see" or visualize.

Last edited:
It likely depends on what it "sees". They appear to be an orangish color so it could or should have identify them as cones and avoid (like it does with orange barrels). Also white or metal colored ones tend to show up as small "poles" on the visualization which I think it would also avoid. Seems the odd colors are the ones it doesn't "see" or visualize.
They appeared as cones on the car's screen.
Was the car trying to route the lane that was closed?
It was a closed exit, and yes, I think the car was trying to follow the fog line.

Without my wife's reaction, I might not have reacted in time. I had been looking to the left.

The real question is would the video have been posted if it did hit the stanchion?

Those videos are endlessly criticised as poor driver by Tesla defenders, and picked up by the media as poor Tesla self-driving. I can only guess that there are more people who have hit things but the actual videos of them doing so are few. I think it's probably ok to admit you almost hit something but less ok to admit you did hit something.

Reactions: 2101Guy