Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would the typical Corvette Driver recognize a Performance M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Now coal rollers...] Should be banned.
They are not legal, it's an EPA violation for starters. Various local traffic laws may also apply, given the danger of [intentional] obscurement of other driver's vision of the road.

But asshats are still going to asshat.

P.S. Some of them do have a fair amount of rolling jump, due to large engines and the inherent torque capabilities of a Diesel engine. Not Tesla amounts though.

Most don't know what a Tesla is, much less the different models.

Now coal rollers, they don't care what model it is, they just are looking for a reason to belch at any Tesla. I realized that coal rolling only works if they are in front of you, and they are mostly noise and smoke, no speed. Just pass them.

To add to that... hydrogen cars are also bad. Yes I said it, hydrogen cars. Everytime they are in front of you and accelerate they spew out enough water out of their exhaust to get all over the front of your freshly washed car!!! It’s just as bad as spraying your windshield washers, it just gets all over the car behind you. To add to that these hydrogen powered cars start off all the way on the left HOV carpool lane, then as they exit they accelerate and spew water across all the cars on the highway as they exit to the right so there is no avoiding them.

I expected more people to try and test the model 3 but so far no one bites. I think most high end ICE owners don't know the difference between a 3 and an S not to mention the variants of either. They have seen the ludicrous mode numbers and I think they assume we are all that fast.

Same here! Going down the same streets where Z's, corvettes, and the like are abundant I would really expect something, anything really! Let me tell you, so far...it's quiet. One time I was at a stop and I saw a tricked out benz zipping through traffic behind me and pull up right next to me. I thought to myself, "perfect!", and was ready to give it a go. Light turns green and I waited, listening to any hint of engine noise next to me, and.....nothing. It's like he turned into a regular model citizen. All of a sudden, it's as if I'm a police car, everyone drives perfect around me (which is a good thing). :rolleyes:

I'd have to guess that only 10% of new vette drivers would know that the P3D even exists.

Most don't know what a Tesla is, much less the different models.

Now coal rollers, they don't care what model it is, they just are looking for a reason to belch at any Tesla. I realized that coal rolling only works if they are in front of you, and they are mostly noise and smoke, no speed. Just pass them.
Those guys are nuts. Should be taken out back and put out of our misery. What sort of person even thinks "huurrrr this guy must care about environment so um gonna put smoke on him"?

I'd have to guess that only 10% of new vette drivers would know that the P3D even exists.

This is probably true. I find most traditional car people don't keep much of an eye on the electric world. I did notice at work the other day that everyone was pretty hyped on the Roadster specs but us Tesla fans were all drooling about that months ago and it has just hit their world.

Light turns green and I waited, listening to any hint of engine noise next to me, and.....nothing. :rolleyes:

I'm not the only one who waits for the noise! Related anecdote: I have an early Model S, got it in 2013. During the first ~6-12 months, I was constantly challenged by BMWs and Corvettes (and everything in between). Even in a S85, I would smoke them all in the first 0-30, and this is after waiting the split-second to listen for the roar if they were going to go for it.

Now, they don't even try. I could be next to an AMG or BMW M3 and no one is ever in the mood.

i think some performance car drivers know what it is from the wheels and calipers, but most just assume it's the '35k cheap Tesla.' i know it's not a popular opinion around here, but the hype around the car is that it's a mass market, affordable, tech-heavy, eco-friendly Tesla.
Even in performance trim, it's looks kind of cute and bubbly ... doesn't have the presence of a P100D and certainly not at all menacing like it's direct competition... M3, C63, etc... I think people don't bite at the light because it doesn't look like a performance car. in fact, the demographic that notices my car the most are little kids... i get waves from them all the time... weird but true.
Don't know... i guess it's just a friendly looking car.

And when you leave them in the dust and they catch up at the next light and they ask, tell them it is the base "slow" version. :p
I resemble that remark.
I don't race but I do take people out for their first Tesla drive. I always encourage them to stomp on the go pedal somewhere it is safe and after the laughs and grins I say "the crazy thing is that this car is the slowest Tesla makes."

The Model 3 SR is going to wreck my punch line.

i think some performance car drivers know what it is from the wheels and calipers, but most just assume it's the '35k cheap Tesla.' i know it's not a popular opinion around here, but the hype around the car is that it's a mass market, affordable, tech-heavy, eco-friendly Tesla.
Even in performance trim, it's looks kind of cute and bubbly ... doesn't have the presence of a P100D and certainly not at all menacing like it's direct competition... M3, C63, etc... I think people don't bite at the light because it doesn't look like a performance car. in fact, the demographic that notices my car the most are little kids... i get waves from them all the time... weird but true.

That doesn't explain them driving crazy and revving yard everywhere - but then quit when the Tesla pulls up along side them.

Bullies don't care if its a lower trim car (330i vs M3) or a Camry, they hot rod everywhere in their noisy ICE makers. They just drive hard until something comes up that can beat them.

You all are doing this wrong. Paint the brake calipers the standard color, remove the badge in the back.

And when you leave them in the dust and they catch up at the next light and they ask, tell them it is the base "slow" version. :p
What badge? Nobody has received it yet. :/

I get attention mostly from folks in their 30s it seems.

That doesn't explain them driving crazy and revving yard everywhere - but then quit when the Tesla pulls up along side them.
Bullies don't care if its a lower trim car (330i vs M3) or a Camry, they hot rod everywhere in their noisy ICE makers. They just drive hard until something comes up that can beat them.
It just says to me that this puppy has learned when to keep quiet and not drop a deuce on the carpet around 3's with red calibers under 20" rims after getting swatted on the nose a few times by someone else's P+.

Once you get a few P- in the area and he gets burned by them, too, he'll probably start pussyfooting around all Model 3s. ;)

Reactions: MXWing

True... if you’re looking for a race, the guy weaving and revving is the easy mark.
slightly OT - I was next to an XP90D driving home and we were going ridiculously fast light to light... plenty of launches etc... it was funny since we didn't have engines to rev, we couldn't really signal that we wanted to launch till we started going and it became obvious.

Reactions: MXWing
No, you got it wrong.

Only side ways for its red brake for P3D+ and there is no way to tell for P3D-.

In a few months, when Tesla distribute the badge(both P3D- and P3D+) and the spoiler (for P3D+), then people will be able to tell from the rear. ;)

No spoiler yet but got tired of waiting on Tesla's badge. Just went 3rd party for now. Damn badge supplier laughed when Elon said funding secured. :(

317tA50pGIL.jpg