Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you be comfortable letting your car sit at about 8% charge overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I have about 160 miles to drive later tonight, ending at a hotel. From past experience I expect my S60 will have about 8% of it’s battery left after 160 miles. Unfortunately the hotel doesn’t have a charger, but there is one a mile or two from the hotel that I plan to use tomorrow morning. Also unfortunately they don’t allow overnight parking at the charger, so it will have to wait for the morning.

I do have the option to hit a supercharger on the way to the hotel, but it’s slightly out of the way and will probably add a good 30 or 45 minutes to the trip by the time I go out of the way and take some time to charge. Since I’m not scheduled to arrive at the hotel until 10:30 or 11PM as it is I would rather not get there any later if I can avoid it.

So, after all that, do you think that leaving the car parked outside overnight at 8% will still leave me with at least enough power to make it 1 or 2 miles to the charger in the morning or should I take the time to grab a little power from the supercharger on the way there? (This is in florida, so luckily the weather shouldn’t be much of a factor... they are predicting an overnight low of 50 degrees)

On a side note, is it bad for the battery to let it sit at a low SOC for so long?

Since I bought the car almost a year ago I don’t think I’ve ever left it unplugged overnight... much less at a low SOC, so I really don’t know how much of a vampire drain to expect.

Being in Florida, you should be fine. If the temperature was below freezing, I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea.

If you're worried about it, you could consider charging for 30 minutes prior to your arrival at the hotel (maybe grab a coffee or a beer) and going back in the morning to complete your charge.

Reactions: David99 and bonnie
According to data I have collected my range loss whenever parked overnight is 0.5 to 2 rated miles/hr of idle time, temperature dependent. It has been on average at or below freezing most nights this last month, so I expect you will fare much better. Others may be better able to speak to how battery aging affects this, but I imagine the car factors that in to some extent anyway.

You will undoubtedly be fine for one night; you won't irreprably harm your battery or anything leaving it a bit low for a few hours. If you are lucky you might be able to get on a 110V outlet.

I wouldn't worry about it unless freezing weather.
Have you checked with the hotel to see if they might have a 120v outlet you could use? Most buildings have multiple 120v outlets on the outside for maintenance and cleaning work, etc.
This would give you some charge and avoid worrying about a depleted battery.

Thanks guys. I’ll ask at the hotel and see if they have a 120v outlet. That’s a good idea, but it sounds like I should be good even without one. Maybe I’ll throw an extension cord in the car just in case.

On a side note, if Tesla could have gotten this super charger powered up then that would have been perfect as it wouldn’t have been out of my way much at all...

New Orlando Supercharger (Wawa) @ Sand Lake Rd and Universal Blvd.

Last edited:
Are you accustomed to using "range mode" if you don't that might just buy you some margin and set the cruise 5mph lower than usual for more margin. Make sure to turn off "Smart Preconditioning" and "always connected" if those are on as well.

I’ve played around with range mode a little and found that it didn’t really make a significant difference. From what I could see, with my temperate weather and lack of a dual motor car it doesn’t make a huge difference for me. Certainly wouldn’t hurt to turn it on though.

Smart preconditioning is off, but I do have always connected on. Turning that off tonight is definitely a good idea.

Thanks guys. I’ll ask at the hotel and see if they have a 120v outlet. That’s a good idea, but it sounds like I should be good even without one. Maybe I’ll throw an extension cord in the car just in case.

On a side note, if Tesla could have gotten this super charger powered up then that would have been perfect as it wouldn’t have been out of my way much at all...

New Orlando Supercharger (Wawa) @ Sand Lake Rd and Universal Blvd.
Depending on the hotel that might not know that have 120v outlets. If not walk around the building and you'll find some, probably. You might check on Plugsahre to find if something close is listed. Personally I'd be leery of letting it sit with such a low SOC. Of course, I am very conservative with my Battery health.

please let us know how this all works out, I want to do some road tripping this summer and don't want surprises with the family along.
Be glad you don't need to deal with battery heating, here near Green Bay it is a real concern. My one long trip in cold weather the wife was a bit upset when we had to make an extra out of the way supercharger stop due to me not understanding/planning for that. I told her it was MY FAULT not the car. Being blamed for an hour wasted on a trip is a lot better than being blamed for a financial mistake the size of a MS.

Another option would be if stopping for a meal maybe let chargepoint/plugshare/destination chargers be our guide

I've charged from motel A/C units. They are usually 240v at 16 amps. I made an adapter plug for the UMC. Works well.
Here's a photo of me charging from a second floor balcony connected to the A/C unit.
IMG_1840.JPG

I wouldn't want my car to sit below 10% for overnight, or above 90%.

Hit that charger a mile or two away and take just 15% ...

Regardless of temperature or vampire or ... it's not good battery health to sit for hours at the extremes.

I've heard the low extreme is harder on the battery than the high extreme.

Reactions: Dr. J and Tech_Guy
The common 14-16 gauge extension cords aren't good for much but LED christmas lights. If youdon't already have one get yourself at least 1 10-12 gauge 20ft. extension cord, power tools, shop vacs, weed wackers will all appreciate a bigger cord.

When using new to you outlets I would consider backing down the charge rate from default and watching voltage, if it falls much below 120 or 240 whichever is applicable I would back down the amperage more as low voltage can be a sign of stressing the capacity of the wiring or outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: mazeminder
The common 14-16 gauge extension cords aren't good for much but LED christmas lights. If youdon't already have one get yourself at least 1 10-12 gauge 20ft. extension cord, power tools, shop vacs, weed wackers will all appreciate a bigger cord.

When using new to you outlets I would consider backing down the charge rate from default and watching voltage, if it falls much below 120 or 240 whichever is applicable I would back down the amperage more as low voltage can be a sign of stressing the capacity of the wiring or outlet.

On a 120v outlet, the magic point of "giving up" is 109v (regardless of how many Amps you happen to be pulling) it will stop charging.

A thin gauge (14, 16) and/or long extension cord will contribute to dropping down to 109v faster as you dial Amps up.

I wouldn't push it to the point of giving up at 109volts though. In my limited experience I left it at somewhat low voltage and it ended up eventually erroring on my as things warmed up. Kept using the same outlet but dialed back the amperage and voltage stayed high heat under control and no errors.

Well, I arrived in a little better shape than I expected. I parked at the hotel with 12% and 25 rated miles remaining, so I’m thinking I should be in reasonably good shape overnight. I’ll let you know how it looks in the morning.

E29700F5-D3CE-42A5-A029-E0E974AF001B.jpeg

In the end I used 174 rated miles to travel 161.7 real miles, which doesn’t seem too bad.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc