Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a New Model S Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does need to bring back the pano roof. The real leather would be nice but not at the cost of what it takes for real leather IMO.

uhh... My understanding is that the synthetic material Tesla use now is more expensive than real leather. The reason they use it is because it's more comfortable, easier to clean and maintain, and supposedly more durable long-term.

The problem is that regardless of how good looking it is, it looks pretty much the same as it did 8 years ago, and the rear actually looks slightly worse. I've owned two Model S's, and in a few months I'm going to be looking to replace one of them. I don't want to replace it with a car that looks the same inside and out. Keep in mind that at this point there is a large group of folks who bought Model S's who are now getting ready to replace them. I'm not alone in wanting my new car to look different from my old one.

Now I'm not saying it has to be anything radical, it should just be like Audi does going from one model of the A6 to the next, minor refinements keeping the overall appearance the same. And at the same time the performance model needs something visual to distinguish it from the base model (beyond just the red calipers).

The interior is what really needs to be updated though. It's only gotten worse with the removal of real leather, and the addition of the stupid center console, and it was never great to begin with.

Different opinions I suppose. They can make some some tweaks but I wish they'd keep as much of the Model S interior design as possible and work on the inside of the car.

I found the yacht floor to me monumentally silly for a car interior and glad they agreed it was not a good idea. What's the point in building the most modern, clean, and uncluttered car interior only to have a giant hole for all your stuff to slush around as you drive and launch the car? I hate seeing wires, cables, or anything else in my view. With the Center Console, I can plug in all of my chargers, USB drives for Tesla Cam, USB Audio, a box of Kleenex and everything I may need and need ready access to without it all open like a crow's nest.

I hate seeing open cavities in a car interior. I don't even like to see the hole for the cup holder all open all the time, like the Model 3, with no way to close or cover it when needed.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Well Tesla did change the front end a few years back.

I have the center console and also used a loaner with the yacht floor. I prefer the center console.

Tesla does need to bring back the pano roof. The real leather would be nice but not at the cost of what it takes for real leather IMO.

Have you driven a new Model S with the Raven suspension? Tesla has made SEVERAL upgrades over the years as noted here. Model S Changes from 2012 to 2019 | TeslaTap

Totally agree about the sunroof.

The lack of the sunroof is one reason that I am not the least bit interested in trading in my Model S for one they are now selling.

I feel like they really underestimated how much some customers absolutely love the sunroof. It's now June and I don't think I've needed to turn on my AC yet and I love the fresh air and open air feeling of the giant sunroof.

I found the yacht floor to me monumentally silly for a car interior and glad they agreed it was not a good idea. What's the point in building the most modern, clean, and uncluttered car interior only to have a giant hole for all your stuff to slush around as you drive and launch the car?
It was a wonderful spot to put laptop bags, diaper bags, or a purse. My USB drives are the tiny sandisk ones that take no space.

There is a simple solution here, Tesla should be like almost every other car manufacture and offer more options. The central console could be an option, same as the stupid enormous HEPA filter that makes another of my favorite original features, the frunk almost worthless. Same thing for the sunroof (which I would perfer not to have). The whole "improve manufacturing efficiency" line is bullshit. Every other automaker can do it for a reasonable price.

It was a wonderful spot to put laptop bags, diaper bags, or a purse. My USB drives are the tiny sandisk ones that take no space.

There is a simple solution here, Tesla should be like almost every other car manufacture and offer more options. The central console could be an option, same as the stupid enormous HEPA filter that makes another of my favorite original features, the frunk almost worthless. Same thing for the sunroof (which I would perfer not to have). The whole "improve manufacturing efficiency" line is bullshit. Every other automaker can do it for a reasonable price.
<Off Topic>
I'm with you.
Back in 2015, eagerly waiting on the delivery, I had also ordered the central console, which was then an official Tesla add-on part. Coming from a "normal car", the idea of that empty space was bizarre. :rolleyes:

That add-on was in such demand apparently (or too limited production ?)... any way, delivery day came and no center console... hence I had to do without it.

Within a couple of weeks I was (un)sold: I loved the yacht floor. I cancelled the order, which was not a problem for the Sec.

Story does not end here :D Funny thing happened a month or two later: the car was at the SeC for some reason, and it came back... with the center console :eek:
Anyway, I asked to remove it, which the SeC did without any fuss, apologising for their confusion.

And the big frunk is also an asset I'd miss.

Here is a link with a good picture for those who never saw an "old" frunk
Trunk + Frunk Lighting Kit for Tesla Model S - Review

(Note: I'm not affiliated with Teslarati and have no interest in the kit, but that picture really shows well the size)

</Off Topic>

Reactions: jaguar36
And the big frunk is also an asset I'd miss.

Here is a link with a good picture for those who never saw an "old" frunk
Trunk + Frunk Lighting Kit for Tesla Model S - Review
I don't think the smaller frunk is just because of the addition of the HEPA filter. The dual motor models frunk is smaller because of the additional drive motor in the front now. I'm willing to bet the pic you linked is of a RWD Model S.

I don't think the smaller frunk is just because of the addition of the HEPA filter. The dual motor models frunk is smaller because of the additional drive motor in the front now. I'm willing to bet the pic you linked is of a RWD Model S.
That pic is of a RWD S. However the front motor only takes up the "microwave" square section at the back, which still left quite alot of usable space.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: arnis and SilverGS
That pic is of a RWD S. However the front motor only takes up the "microwave" square section at the back, which still left quite alot of usable space.
So how much more space is the HEPA filter taking up? How thick is the filter? I've seen the one on a Model X (on the Rich Rebuilds channel) and it is big in terms of the length and width, but its depth seems very small - perhaps an inch or two? I can't see that taking up so much space in the frunk worth even mentioning.

In 110,000 miles, my Model S has cost me exactly $338 in repairs. Bummer your experience has been so bad.
How many repairs did Tesla do as part of warranty and/or good will during that period? One of my biggest issues is that all the Teslas I ever got, required TLC from service to get them righted. Apparently Tesla quality is not doing so well lately:
Tesla ranks dead last in latest auto quality survey
so given the elimination of all good will, latest limitations on warranties, and the ever increasing service, loaners, and parts availability issues, a prospect of a new Tesla is really not that enticing.

PS> I think Teslas have had issues from day one (mine ranged from 2013 to 2018), but because service used to take care of all the issues, surveys probably reflected happy customers. Today, with no more stellar service, no more good will, shrinking warranties, charging customers diagnostic fees for issues which are not reproducible (even if you have a video of it happenning), the constant "some future OTA update will fix your issue" empty excuses, customers are no longer singing a happy song, hence the JD Powers results ranking Tesla dead last in quality.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your very helpful comments. I took another test ride in the "404" mile range Model S and have mixed feelings. The ride, to me, is more comfortable than my Model 3, and road noise is usually less as well. The seating position is a bit of an issue. I seem to sit lower in the Model S than the 3, and being "vertically challenged" my view of the road is less open than in the Model 3. That makes a difference as I can better place the Model 3 versus the Model S.

I also find the hatch to be useful, and feel there is a bit more room everywhere. Having said that, Tesla is offering what I believe is far below market price to trade in my Model 3, making a swap more expensive than I expected. I also rely on the SuperChargers when visiting family, and the longer range could be helpful at times. Overall, I'm interested in the Model S, but for now I'm likely to hold onto the 3.

Thanks again for the help.

Anyone experience the service in Cleveland, Toledo or Columbus and how was it?

Columbus rocks, five years on. Had issues that could almost always wait until annual service, always took care of all, loaner if requested, my biggest repair, the steering bolt, resulted in ranger coming with loaner on trailer to my workplace 100mi away and returning the car repaired in three days same place.

How many repairs did Tesla do as part of warranty and/or good will during that period?

From memory:

Misaligned hatch that marred bumper

MCU screen replacement for yellow border (has since returned, fixing myself with UV light)

1x headlight replacement for burned out DRL

My car has been to a service center 4 times (including annual maintenance back when that was a thing).

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Greetings -

I currently own a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with 23K miles, 19" wheels and AutoPilot (not FSD). Since I took delivery in November 2018 prices for all Teslas have dropped, and that has me wondering about upgrading my Model 3. I'm happy with the car, but find that road/tire noise is inherent to the car, regardless of running 18/19/20 inch wheels/tires. The car offers what some consider a "sporty" ride, but others consider "less refined". Around town on short rides neither complaint is significant, but taking a longer ride makes these shortcomings more annoying, especially as I age. I'm a senior citizen, and I get cranky pretty easily these days.

The recent price cut for the Model S brings the price down to $75K for the "base" car, a drop of nearly $20K from the 2018 Model S 100D. The price difference from my Model 3 to the Model S back then was over $40K back then - it's less than $30K today, and the 2020 Model S has been improved somewhat over the last two years. The narrowed price gap has me interested enough to consider a potential swap.

I don't drive very much, especially given COVID-19, but I expect that will change. Much of my driving is local - less than 50 miles a trip - but I plan to do longer rides - 150-250 per trip - on highways more frequently in the future. No one can know what Tesla plans, so worrying about updates seems more of a mental exercise as well as an excuse to procrastinate, but I'd like to know from Model S owners how you feel about your car.

Have any of you owned both the Model S and Model 3, and if so, do you find the Model S provides a more sedate/quiet platform compared to the Model 3? Does the difference in price seem worthwhile to you, and if so what in particular do you feel are the benefits that the Model S offers that the Model 3 doesn't have (the suspension comes to mind)? Any downsides? Would you buy the Model S again today, or are there things that bother you to the point where you'd like to see Tesla make a change, and if so, what would you change? Would you buy another S today, or do you think that the updates aren't significant enough to swap to a newer S now, and you'd rather wait for a major refresh - either design or battery pack?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but making the jump to the S is a big step as a retiree, and I want to make sure I understand the pros and cons from actual owners, not salespeople or anonymous website reviews.

Thanks in advance for your comments and insights.
We own a 2015 model S. We bought it new and still love it. The supercharging is a good benefit when offered. Our car has the older software for auto steer, so we are considering replacing the car and getting a newer model S or X We took it to Grand Canyon last year. The auto steering was a big benefit and we had no trouble finding superchargers. The only maintenance required is for tires and I guess brakes eventually. Since the price has dropped it might be a good idea. We are considering an X because the car is a bit higher and we are retired also. Easier access! Good luck.

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I've revisited the Tesla location near me and I'm still undecided about what to do. I didn't get a trade in value for my 2018 FWD M3, but Carvana indicated somewhere near $35.5K (upgraded 19" wheels, 25K miles, some curb rash on wheels, typical paint issues) and I'm also due for a new set of tires (likely $1000-1500 installed).

The S rides more like a luxury car compared to my M3, but the seating position is different - I sit lower in the MS, and my line of sight is a bit restricted compared to the M3 (I'm 5'7", wife is 5"1) which concerns me a bit. We are on the wait list for the CyberTruck, but that's likely 2 years out until it's available. I'm still inclined to wait for the battery day updates, and I'm frankly not sure if as a senior the CyberTruck is something that will work for us.

My question has to do with depreciation. If I do decide to get the MS and later decide to get the CyberTruck, the car will be 2 years old or so. I'd imagine that by that time Tesla will have either a new battery pack or redesign, or maybe both. Given how Tesla continues to drive down new car prices, along with technological change, I'm concerned that the resale value of the S may be relatively low. Your thoughts are welcome, not only about resale value, but whether it makes sense to keep the M3 until things become clearer.

My neighbor has asked about my Tesla and driven it quite a few times. He just bought a Bolt and got a great price of just about $25K out the door for a nicely equipped model. It's not a Tesla, and I don't consider it a true competitor, but with all the new EVs coming out in the coming few years it may be that all EV resale values are challenged.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I've revisited the Tesla location near me and I'm still undecided about what to do. I didn't get a trade in value for my 2018 FWD M3, but Carvana indicated somewhere near $35.5K (upgraded 19" wheels, 25K miles, some curb rash on wheels, typical paint issues) and I'm also due for a new set of tires (likely $1000-1500 installed).

The S rides more like a luxury car compared to my M3, but the seating position is different - I sit lower in the MS, and my line of sight is a bit restricted compared to the M3 (I'm 5'7", wife is 5"1) which concerns me a bit. We are on the wait list for the CyberTruck, but that's likely 2 years out until it's available. I'm still inclined to wait for the battery day updates, and I'm frankly not sure if as a senior the CyberTruck is something that will work for us.

My question has to do with depreciation. If I do decide to get the MS and later decide to get the CyberTruck, the car will be 2 years old or so. I'd imagine that by that time Tesla will have either a new battery pack or redesign, or maybe both. Given how Tesla continues to drive down new car prices, along with technological change, I'm concerned that the resale value of the S may be relatively low. Your thoughts are welcome, not only about resale value, but whether it makes sense to keep the M3 until things become clearer.

My neighbor has asked about my Tesla and driven it quite a few times. He just bought a Bolt and got a great price of just about $25K out the door for a nicely equipped model. It's not a Tesla, and I don't consider it a true competitor, but with all the new EVs coming out in the coming few years it may be that all EV resale values are challenged.

The first couple years are the biggest depreciation hit.

I’d wait till battery day before doing anything.

Depending on when you reserved the cybertruck, it may be more than a couple years wait.

You could go with a cheap bolt or a used Model S to get you by until the Cybertruck comes out.

Reactions: aerodyne
The S rides more like a luxury car compared to my M3, but the seating position is different - I sit lower in the MS, and my line of sight is a bit restricted compared to the M3 (I'm 5'7", wife is 5"1) which concerns me a bit.

Regarding seating position, I'm not tall either (5'8"), but see fine out of my 2020 Model S. You can adjust the seat height up with the side seat controls to help with visibility.

Hell yes i would buy a new model S, the pricing now vs when i bought my 18 100D is insanely cheaper, for comparison my 2018 100D S with EAP no FSD, w permium interior cost 112k before taxes, now, i can buy same model with FSD for about 89k. It has many new features included since then, with better seats, 400 miles of range, mcu 2, ap3 chip, raven suspension, and more.