Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy an option to add controls?

Would you buy option to add physical controls?

• No, current layout is fine

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • Yes, a strategically minimal set of physical controls

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Yes, a full traditional control suite

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. Model S has a perfect balance of physical controls, the instrument cluster and the touch screen display. I wouldn't change a thing.
Model 3, on the other hand, seems to be missing some very basic stuff. It seems odd to have to look to the right even to check the speed or to adjust the cruise control via the touch screen.
However, if the Autopilot accurately recognized the speed limit signs and adjusted your speed accordingly you wouldn't have a need to check your speed all the time or to adjust the cruise control. Just an example.

Actually owning and driving both cars, I don't find it that different. I actually prefer screen buttons for adjusting the speed over bumping the stalk. As far as controls (which is what this thread is talking about), the only difference between the S and the 3 is the removal of the cruise control stalk (as well as the glove compartment button and mirror adjust physical controls, neither of which I would ever use driving). Having less display real estate is separate, and obviously involves some compromises.

Last edited:
Ok but that's not good enough. You will want something else at the same time or you will need to switch back & forth between assigned function, or... But I would suggest that if one can't operate traditional cruise control buttons on the steering wheel (or stalk) by feel alone, as intended, they lack the skill to even be driving. :)

Strange. I have never learned the art of reading others mind, but I am sure you have. Also I can hazard to say I know a few people that have no desire or live in a climate where cruise control is not used. Not to mention my father's age group. Saying they don't have the skill to drive. That again must be a trait I have yet to learn. Never meeting someone and yet I am fully convinced they should not be able to operate a car.

A bit surprised currently only 5 would want additional controls option, 20 wouldn't. I guess this is a Model 3 forum where 'Tesla can do no wrong' people are rampant. :D (I'm one of them! Actually not entirely. This is a fairly simple point and I think completely logical but people can't see it apparently.)

Would suggest you stick with this part. "Not entirely". Unless you have driven the car. It's pretty intuitive, and getting better.