Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you drive a MS in a winter climate without snow tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's possible. Wheels for S and X are interchangeable.

According to Teslarati, the stock configuration for the MX is:
  • Front wheels: 20 x 9.0 +35 mm (1.378″) offset
  • Rear wheels: 20 x 10.0 +40mm (1.575″) offset
  • Front Tires: 265/45 R20 – 40 PSI (*46 PSI / 317 kPa)
  • Rear Tires: 275/45 R20 – 40 PSI (*46 PSI / 317 kPa)
TireRack has a set of 19" Rial Lugano wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak tires that they say will fit my MS. Will this also fit the MX?

They aren't staggered, and they're also smaller than the 20" wheels that come standard on the MX. (TireRack says that doesn't matter and is even preferred for winter driving?)

Yes, like already mentioned rims are exchangeable between cars and higher tire sidewall is always better in winter...

Ok, thanks. Just confused because on another thread here someone said the MS wheels weren't rated for the weight of the MX. Also, someone on this thread said that if you switch from a staggered configuration (which my MS has now, and new MX will also have) to square Tesla may need to reconfigure the autopilot cameras?

This is partly true. However, if one has a vehicle with staggered 21" wheels (i.e., rears have a larger diameter and width than the fronts) and one switches to a square configuration (i.e., front and rears are the same), then the car will end up pointing upwards at a slight angle. I was told by Tesla that this (small) difference is enough to require a recalibration - both rear suspension, and the auto-pilot camera. (Yes, I would have thought that the air suspension would sort things out - but apparently not.)

I have a staggered 21" wheel setup on my 2018 S75D(from the factory) and last winter put some after market 19" legganos(from tirerack) on that were not staggered. My car also has the SAS. I didn't even think about the possibility of the car pointing up at a slight angle because of this, and it never caused any issues with the autopilot, at least that I noticed and can recall. Only thing that happened was the sensors on the new wheels had to be detected, which took like a mile or two.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
Do the swap and skip autopilot for a couple months if it becomes an issue.

You can also contact a sales guy in your area and tell him your situation. He might be able to find an X in inventory that would be close to your configuration. Might be able to get one right away.

Chains are for deep snow only.

At Tesla levels of income, it would be criminal not to swap tires in areas where snow falls,
unless you are dumb offspring of a rich family, RIP:)

Braking distance alone is DOUBLE on snow and ice with all-seasons, even Consumer Reports admits it.

High performance summer and winter tires for me, on dedicated wheels.

On a tangent, I had an RWD loaner on winter tires, and argued vigorously against it as snow was in the forecast, I drove it in 3" on snow and ice and did fantastic, the tail-wagger oversteering was so controlled it became actually fun.

I'm definitely getting winter tires with a dedicated set of wheels. I'm convinced!

My current plan is to buy a set of 19" TST wheels from Tsportline with Blizzaks that fit my MS. On the day that I pick up my MX, I'll take the MS to a tire shop and have them put the 21" wheels/summer tires back on. (The trade-in quote I got was with these 21" wheels.) Once I have the MX, I'll go back to the tire shop and have them put the 19" TST wheels on it with a new set of Blizzaks that fit the MX. Then I can sell the lightly used Blizzaks that were on the MS.

This way I'm only buying one set of wheels that I can use on both vehicles. Hopefully, I can resell the MS Blizzaks for at least something, then I'm only out the difference between what I paid for them new and the resale price.

Reactions: f205v
Ok, thanks. Just confused because on another thread here someone said the MS wheels weren't rated for the weight of the MX.

Issue is not the wheels, but the rubber tires. Tires are rated to support a specific weight load. So even if a tire will fit the rim of a wheel on a MS or MX, if its not rated to support the weight of a Tesla, its a poor choice. This is not the same as the speed rating, BTW.

Issue is not the wheels, but the rubber tires. Tires are rated to support a specific weight load. So even if a tire will fit the rim of a wheel on a MS or MX, if its not rated to support the weight of a Tesla, its a poor choice. This is not the same as the speed rating, BTW.

Got it, I think I understand now. I talked to Tsportline and they said their 19" TST wheels would work for both the MX and MS, but I would need different tires for each for the reason you suggested.

I recently moved to Park City, UT from the SF Bay Area. I've decided to trade in my 2016 MS for a new Raven MX. However, the wait time is 4-8 weeks for a new MX. We've already gotten some snow here in Park City, and there will certainly be more in the next 2 months (assuming it takes the full 8 weeks to get the MX).

I have the 21" wheels on the MS, because when I bought it we weren't planning to move to Park City or spend much time in a winter climate. So, in order to put snow tires on it, I'd have to buy new wheels as well—which means >$2k total.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend $2k for wheels/snow tires that I'll only use for 4-8 weeks prior to trading my MS in for the new MX.

But since I've never lived in Park City or a winter climate anywhere, I'm not sure how much of a risk it would be to drive the MS without snow tires for the next two months. It has the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on it, which I'm pretty sure are summer performance tires.

What do you think?

I have 19" gray slipstreams with all weathers about 10K miles, I'll trade you. PM me.

Read your latest post - going for the winter tires isn't a bad choice. But it's a waste of money IMO. A good "all-season" tire may be just good enough for you to get where you need to get to.

You're either going to Bear Valley (4), Truckee (80), Sierra / Heavenly (50) or Kirkwood (89). The only highway that gets sketchy is Highway 89 because of the shade of the mountains and the build up of ice on the highway in a few spots.

With AWD, the chain control guys will wave you through (they know which models have them, and can ask if they're new - talk to them, they're friendly).

US 80 is frequently plowed and unless you're heading down to Donner Lake, it'll be just fine most of the time. US 50 will have snow falling from the trees, but the main areas that get sketchy are Twin Bridges to Meyers. Once past that, unless you're staying in a place off of Pioneer Trail, you can get by with good tires.

You can make it with a newish set of summer tires if you're careful (BTDT). The Tesla is heavy enough and unless we're talking DEEP snow, you'll get traction and move. But a good pair of all-season tires can have you getting through without chains.

So I guess the idea is "where are you staying" which determines how bad things are. Even if you had a good set of winter tires, certain areas (e.g. Needle Peak and some areas by Blackwood Drive on South Lake) aren't friendly at all and you'll need chains.

But SF Bay to Tahoe? It's a cake walk with good tires.

PS. Check craigslist. I picked up a good set (5) of rims for $300. Picked up perfect set (4) for $200 and put some Toyo Celsius on them (eBay ... take offs from Georgia) for $600. These are winter tires, and I haven't put mine on yet as the forecast for snow is ... nothing for 10 days out. Come Thanksgiving... That's when we need to have our tires on, wiper blades changed and be finished with our chores.

I didn't read the whole thread but exactly what tires matters.

I drive a RWD MS near Green Bay year round on all seasons they are a relatively inexpensive General high performance all season and I haven't had any problemsI it is flat though and I am pretty experienced in RWD winter driving though, so I am going to cope better than someone who grew up in a warmer climate or hilly terrain.
Point being dedicated snow tires while definitely nice there is more to consider in buying them than if snow falls once on awhile.

Also since you split mileage over two sets of tires them you might need to prepare yourself to replace them while they have tread as they might "age out". I will take good all seasons over old snows with hardened rubber.

With 2018-2019 being a year with no snow in my area, a few weeks ago was the first time I tried to drive MX100D with 20” stock Continental tires on it. It was not good. I also didn’t like coming home with my beautiful car all dirty. I took a different approach and used the Costco auto program to buy a cheap new Nissan Rogue for $21k to use in the snow and Home Depot or anywhere with potential parking lot issues and to one area we travel to with no SC coverage where we rent a car anyway at a cost of course. Rogue had 400 miles on it Friday when a shopping cart hit it at Walmart and dented it! Imagine if that was the X? Not sure if it will go thru insurance and hit car fax or not, but as others have said in this post, car fax hit and snow tire cost on the x would have paid for a good chunk of the rogue. So if you can do it, buy an inexpensive vehicle to keep around.