Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would you pay to have your car unplugged and moved for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So ive ran into a problem. I charge at work and it can get very costly to just leave it plugged. Also we only have a few chargers and i want to free them up for someone else to use. Also sometimes (not often) while supercharging i incur some fees from idling after charge.

I was thinking it might be convenient if there was a service that would unplug your car and move it for you to avoid paying fees and be curtious to others. Would any of you be willing to pay for this? This could be useful for Tesla and other EV drivers. Would love feedback.

Thank you,
Roberto

I think that would be situation dependent. In the 3+ years I've been driving Teslas I can't think of a time I'd of found it necessary to pay someone to move the car.

But were I parked at a packed supercharger and being charged a dollar a minute idle fee and for some reason (like an important meeting that I could not leave) paying to have the car moved would be an option.

I would under certain circumstances. I know there are Tesla Valets at some malls where local working folk will convene during the lunch hour between 11:30-2pm. There's 12 charging stalls, but a line of 10 cars can easily queue up. The valet will move the cars around so you can enjoy your lunch or movie without worrying about idle fees, being a stall hog, or having to interrupt your meal to move your car. I've never used the service, but I would say a $5 tip or fee would make sense....and it creates a decent job.

Thanks for the input guys! love it!

I'm still on the fence about it. but i think the reality is that int he near future this will start to become more of an "issue". We are still at the point where charging isnt as much of a hassle but it is slowly getting there.

at my work there is are level 2 chargers. when i got my tesla a year ago the stations were always free. since then ive seen a number of new teslsas charging on them and other ev's to the point where there are no chargers open.

None of this would be a problem if Elon's promises for AP1 came true. If AP1 "will find you anywhere on private property", it should have no problem valeting the car at a charger (if someone needs the space and your car is done, they just unplug your car and it moves itself). So, if you believe Elon, that it's just a feature on "Elon time", then sleep worry free - it's coming for all Teslas with any auto-pilot hardware, sooner than anyone thinks.:rolleyes:

Last edited: