Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Purchase a model Y Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean how he stacked the board with his lackeys and relatives? Okey dokey. It's not nearly as cut and dried as you make it out to be.
Board members are appointed by shareholder votes. Your ownership determines your voting weight.

Thats how all corporations work.

If you own your company, you can appoint whomever you want to what position you want.

Do you have an issue with that cut and dried principle ?

Board members are appointed by shareholder votes. Your ownership determines your voting weight.

Thats how all corporations work.

If you own your company, you can appoint whomever you want to what position you want.

Do you have an issue with that cut and dried principle ?
And Board members like Musk's close friends and his brother who probably are unduly influenced by him can be removed by shareholder votes. I'm not saying the principles of corporate governance aren't cut and dried. The personal relationships driving all this drama are not cut and dried, and the majority of the drama originates with Elon for the recently idiotic things he's said and done that have made people lose confidence in him. If enough confidence is lost, then the shareholders have every right to screw him on his package regardless of him meeting the benchmarks.

If there is a dramatic increase in range, indeed, that would drive sales, because it increase feasibility of ownership for those who have to visit commercial chargers.
Only if they could somehow do it via magic without adding more cost to the car.

Apartment dwellers as a group are far more sensitive to cost than range. EVs need to be cheaper and faster charging to go after that population, not longer range.

New battery tech may enable all of those things to be true at once in the next decade or two… that will be nice.

And Board members like Musk's close friends and his brother who probably are unduly influenced by him can be removed by shareholder votes. I'm not saying the principles of corporate governance aren't cut and dried. The personal relationships driving all this drama are not cut and dried, and the majority of the drama originates with Elon for the recently idiotic things he's said and done that have made people lose confidence in him. If enough confidence is lost, then the shareholders have every right to screw him on his package regardless of him meeting the benchmarks.

Its the shareholders prerogative to vote for representatives acting in their best interest. If those reps are allied with Elon, thats still the voters’ prerogative to elect/reelect/remove.

So far, Musk’s rescinded pay was not determined by the shareholder class. It was determined by a judge ruling on the side of an individual with a stake not worth 1 bicycle.

Reactions: 455dan
Back to the point of the thread, my answer is a qualified yes. Maybe.

The uncertainty that I feel is related to the future of the corporation which is why Musk is under discussion. While others have made excellent points about the value he grew and his potential compensation related to that, I want to point out that Elon does not design cars, rockets, neural chips, or boring machines; he hires and inspires good people. And what kind of shrewd business deal was Twitter and how does that get anyone to Mars? Reportedly morale is low and many are disillusioned.

At issue is whether my next Tesla will be a product of the A Team or the leftovers. He has been losing top people for some time. For example, he offered SpaceX engineers a Los Angeles salary plus 25% to move to Brownsville TX and got few takers. With apologies to my Texas friends, many top engineers also did not want to live in Austin, which bears directly on the next generation of their vehicles. {Disclaimer: I am actually from the Lone Star State originally.)

So, did he grow several fantastic companies: absolutely. Does he deserve that pay package: well, that was the deal. But ten years from now will Tesla look more like SpaceX or X/Twitter?

No, now that they opened up the supercharger network their biggest advantage is gone.

IMO the suspension is bad and the advertised range is good but you never get it, other manufactures are more conservative on estimates so you probably don't really get much range advantage on the MYLR. Lots more options today and more coming.

I used to think this but he's made missteps that have made me lose most of my faith in him (firing ALL the supercharger team in a hissy and having to eat crow and hire many of them back, seeking $55 billion pay package when that money could have easily stopped the layoffs and then threatening to take his ball and go home if he doesn't get it, etc.). He thinks he's the second coming of Steve Jobs and he's just not.

As for the original question, I only got the MY when the prices dropped. So I actually paid about $2k less for it than I did my M3 in 2019. There's no way I would pay the normal markup going from a 3 to a Y. It's not that much better.
This person has absolutely no clue what he’s talking about in the first paragraph total nonsense.

Recently, a friend and I were talking about our 2020 Model Y’s. He asked if I would purchase again, if I had the choice. We spoke about what we liked and not. In the end, we both felt that the car was fun to drive, and could hold lots of gear. He has had more issues with his August, 2020 purchase than my September build 20. We both agreed that the suspension needed help and I have always thought that a heads-up display would be a benefit. Neither of us felt very good about the idea of providing Elon Musk with extra money, but that is a political question.

Beyond this, the biggest gripe is the lack of service centers in proximity to our western Ma location. The closest center is in Boston, some 1 1/2-2 hours away. The Boston centers are notoriously bad, so Rhode Island is often a better choice. Both of us felt that this issue was a huge consideration and possibly a deal breaker moving forward if more centers are not opened.

I’m curious to hear from others. Would you purchase again?
1. Great debate - and should be very helpful to any new potential car buyer

2. I own 2 Teslas. 2019 and 2023 models. Due to Covid and other personal scenarios my driving has been less compared to heavier normal drives.

Someone here said it well. The political/Elon issues and other angles make it much trickier as of 2024.
I used to be a big Elon fan and also separately big Tesla fan. I have hated time spent on figuring the issues with ICE/gas cars forever. And not having to go to Gas St, or oil changes or “servicing”! - it’s a settled debate for my sane mind.

Tesla cars - have big issues (no parking/radar/sound sensors and more so camera in front is mind boggling). Biggest issue with EVs in general - the degradation or range loss. Range can be 150 miles or more given the 80/90% charging suggested limit. Smaller nitpicks - side mirrors and rear visibility a joke. Common Tesla - these are non issues (aside from degradation thing). Paint quality (even normal wash) is bit of a pain.
A big downside is purchase experience - be warned. It’s almost like no one knows what car you’re driving off when you purchase. A joke basically. But I’d still buy a Tesla/EV like they do online transaction than deal with dealerships anyday. After you commit 250$ you are totally on your own!

Big +: 2023/24 Y is awesome car! The road noise, and suspension is very good (I do city/NY tri state area drives and some roads are almost trails rather than roads!). I NEVER serviced my 2019 Tesla aside from tire rotation/balancing ever! that too from local shop. Has ~80k miles! May do a brake check (just basic break cleaning service given winter grime on roads). Can’t say more for Tesla’s safety (had couple hit from behind incidents as well) and maintainability more than this. I spent more time figuring where to find no touch wash than anything else I remember.
Over last 4-5 years more local car shops have learned to service Tesla.
Superchargers availability is definitely an issue (vs ICE, esp range loss during winters) but may be I’m well aware now so less of an issue (I HAVE to know my plan/trip well ahead and can’t be too far away off the beaten path thing). It’s in this context PHEV hybrid will always be in my radar.

Among EVs - Tesla and Y/X models - there’s nothing even close considering all other factors.

Range and range loss esp during peak winters - I’d definitely consider longer range 3 row SUVs and other options.

Elon issue esp on Tesla — I personally cannot align myself to someone who is unethical for how they treat their employees, and is savage on them. I disagree 200% (esp given climate issues he espouses) - forcing people to commute when avoidable is big corporate thinking only hurting non-billionaires. Besides artificially inflating commercial real estate or “big cities” — very much anti free market thinking. Remote work and time and cost saving given latest tech in 2024 — it will come whether he likes it or not! in some other form.
Biggest issue with Elon is lack of focus on Tesla itself (X, political indulgence, focus on space when people spend 3-4hrs a day leaving family behind for long work hours on roads that are potholes and bumper to bumper traffic). I think Elon is disconnected with daily/normal life and it’s issues and in the long run making best decisions. I 100% admire him speaking his mind out and most of what he tries to achieve but if you get busy firing CEOs publicly or over video calls over ego issues - it reflects negatively on his mindset. This is not a damning assessment - I do have more expectations from him cause he is so good.
But - I would strongly consider PHEV and other EVs (if you can deal with their make issues or charging/super charging issues).
As of mid 2024, if I can’t wait, I’d still buy Tesla no question.

Reactions: drb3333
I have a 2022 Model Y LR and would definitely buy the refresh Y when it comes out, BUT……my wife has never warmed up to the lack of physical controls for hvac etc, and hates that it doesn’t have a retractable sunroof. So, we likely will look into an Audi PHEV when new model year comes out. I won’t buy a non Tesla EV until it becomes more clear that DC fast charging infrastructure improves. I will believe Tesla opening their superchargers widely to non Teslas WHEN it happens.

Reactions: AJ..
NO! NEVER AGAIN A TESLA.

I just don' understand why so many people are satisfied with their Tesla. I would understand if your previous vehicle was a soap box. But, I'm sorry, it is impossible to call Tesla a decent car. Just don't know where to start :
  • Automatic windshield wipers are never accurate. The solution according to the latest update is to make it easier to MANUALLY adjust.
  • Lane assist keeps on nagging, this is waaay tooo sensitive to be pleasant.
  • The same with forward collision. No worries, just disable it. Well good luck. You have to disable it EVERY new ride.
  • Phone key is an absolute nightmare. We have new phones and BT is of course always on. Nevertheless every now and then the car just refuses to unlock.
  • Autopilot keep on nagging, so it's better to not use it. Is just makes me crazy. And in between 2 naggings, it's constantly making micro adjustments (Left - Right). Feels like being on a boat.
  • The car keeps updating... Just great, mainly extra fart sounds and games. I'm an adult, do not need that.
  • Hat shelf. What is this. They invented the "foldable hat shelf. Just try to get it out (and then, where to put it).
  • Range. Where to start. IMO this is just criminal behaviour. If I'm lucky, I can drive 300km (charge 80% LR) instead of the advertised 418%.
  • Cruise control and phantom breaking. I guess everyone has experienced their Tesla breaking for no obvious reason, resulting in at least unpleasant driving or worse, dangerous situations.
  • The lack of decent parking sensors result in some kind of "suggestion" how close your are to obstacles. Just take a look at how many Tesla cars are scratched in the front. God damn, I miss the trustful acoustic sensors of my previous car.
  • Moreover, the cameras give very often the warning they are inaccurate due to ... whatever. Might be mud or sun. Doesn't matter. A little bit of sun and you are parking like with a car of 20 years old.
  • Not my personal experience, but my brothers : about 5 times not disconnecting from the power cable. TBH, this hasn't happened since more than a year.
  • A few months ago, a SC in Belgium : a person from Luxembourg could not charge. We could charge without a problem, his car just refused. Very convenient at 10PM with a small kid in the back.
  • A Tesla is like a German car, it keeps it value. Yeah, right. Certainly when Tesla is lowering it's prices by the thousands at a time.
My experience. THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST CAR. Over-promise and under-deliver. And on top, just lie about the range. The ****ers will buy it and swallow the lies.

It is for a reason why the Tesla stock is going down and why Tesla cannot sell their toy-cars any more? I feel like Jack *sugar* having bought this piece of garbage.

My suggestion to potential new Tesla buyers : DON'T (now I sound like Biden, I guess). Read the negative reviews. Most of them are true. I was hoping that my car "would be different", or that when so many people buy this car, these people complaining are the "unfortunate few".

Looking forward to replies to my rant ;-)

NO! NEVER AGAIN A TESLA.

I just don' understand why so many people are satisfied with their Tesla. I would understand if your previous vehicle was a soap box. But, I'm sorry, it is impossible to call Tesla a decent car. Just don't know where to start :
  • Automatic windshield wipers are never accurate. The solution according to the latest update is to make it easier to MANUALLY adjust.
  • Lane assist keeps on nagging, this is waaay tooo sensitive to be pleasant.
  • The same with forward collision. No worries, just disable it. Well good luck. You have to disable it EVERY new ride.
  • Phone key is an absolute nightmare. We have new phones and BT is of course always on. Nevertheless every now and then the car just refuses to unlock.
  • Autopilot keep on nagging, so it's better to not use it. Is just makes me crazy. And in between 2 naggings, it's constantly making micro adjustments (Left - Right). Feels like being on a boat.
  • The car keeps updating... Just great, mainly extra fart sounds and games. I'm an adult, do not need that.
  • Hat shelf. What is this. They invented the "foldable hat shelf. Just try to get it out (and then, where to put it).
  • Range. Where to start. IMO this is just criminal behaviour. If I'm lucky, I can drive 300km (charge 80% LR) instead of the advertised 418%.
  • Cruise control and phantom breaking. I guess everyone has experienced their Tesla breaking for no obvious reason, resulting in at least unpleasant driving or worse, dangerous situations.
  • The lack of decent parking sensors result in some kind of "suggestion" how close your are to obstacles. Just take a look at how many Tesla cars are scratched in the front. God damn, I miss the trustful acoustic sensors of my previous car.
  • Moreover, the cameras give very often the warning they are inaccurate due to ... whatever. Might be mud or sun. Doesn't matter. A little bit of sun and you are parking like with a car of 20 years old.
  • Not my personal experience, but my brothers : about 5 times not disconnecting from the power cable. TBH, this hasn't happened since more than a year.
  • A few months ago, a SC in Belgium : a person from Luxembourg could not charge. We could charge without a problem, his car just refused. Very convenient at 10PM with a small kid in the back.
  • A Tesla is like a German car, it keeps it value. Yeah, right. Certainly when Tesla is lowering it's prices by the thousands at a time.
My experience. THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST CAR. Over-promise and under-deliver. And on top, just lie about the range. The ****ers will buy it and swallow the lies.

It is for a reason why the Tesla stock is going down and why Tesla cannot sell their toy-cars any more? I feel like Jack *sugar* having bought this piece of garbage.

My suggestion to potential new Tesla buyers : DON'T (now I sound like Biden, I guess). Read the negative reviews. Most of them are true. I was hoping that my car "would be different", or that when so many people buy this car, these people complaining are the "unfortunate few".

Looking forward to replies to my rant ;-)
Oh, I forgot the extremely disappointing quality of seats. It feels like being trapped in a plastic bag. Belgium is not a desert country, but after an hour of driving, your behind and back is completely damp. They call it ‘vegan leather’. Just call it what it is : a plastic wrap.

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis
NO! NEVER AGAIN A TESLA...

Looking forward to replies to my rant ;-)...
I have to say that either I have a magic Tesla Model Y or none of those things are an issue in my car, maybe both :)

I have the parking sensors, but prefer the Tesla Vision parking assist, my wipers are fine, lane assist is great, I love the seats, and I don't know what a hat shelf is, so I can't comment.

I highly suggest you sell your Tesla and buy nice Peugeot and a cup of decaffeinated expresso :)

I have the parking sensors, but prefer the Tesla Vision parking assist, my wipers are fine, lane assist is great, I love the seats, and I don't know what a hat shelf is, so I can't comment.

I highly suggest you sell your Tesla and buy nice Peugeot and a cup of decaffeinated expresso :)
I guess the "hat shelf" refers to the Parcel Shelf, which Tesla devotes and entire page to for "concealing cargo", but I don't think that will assuage him.

X2 on the decaf.

KoenMertens, best of luck with whatever new vehicle you choose next.

I have to say that either I have a magic Tesla Model Y or none of those things are an issue in my car, maybe both :)

Try to sell the car without accepting a few thousands loss. The price plummeted just after we bought it with more than 6K.

Tesla vision parking assist is like a blob of ink on your screen. Blurry lines are a suggestion, not accurate.

Hat shelf is the cover in the trunk. Just try to get it out (so you can place some large stuff in the trunk). And if you got it out. Try to figure where to put it.

Perhaps you don't have a magic car, I guess you have a lower standard or ... your previous car was a carriage.

You never experienced phantom breaking? Or got a damp but after a +1 hour drive (yes, AC is on in my car).

Autopilot is not nagging in your car? You get the advertised mileage? Your car never gives the warning that the cameras are inaccurate?

Your updates are about better performance, battery management and so on? My latest update however was about the ability to adjust the windshield wipers manually with the scroll wheel and 2 new games. Oh, I forgot, they added Audible. My previous car could do this with google auto.

Just look at the facts. Tesla no longer gets its cars sold to anyone. Tesla has so many unsold cars that it's storing them in an an abandoned mall parking lot