Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you upgrade to EAP from AP for $3K?

Would you upgrade to EAP from AP for $3K?

• Yes, I'd upgrade from AP to EAP for $3K

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • No, $3K would be too much

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • I've already upgraded from AP to FSD

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I already have EAP

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon recently said on Twitter that EAP owners will get a US$3K discount if upgrading to FSD (compared to AP owners)

A possible inference would be that Tesla is considering allowing AP owners to upgrade to EAP for $3K.

I think the reason Tesla stopped selling EAP because there were too few FSD takers.

There were more EAP than FSD buyers so how do you convert future EAP buyers to buy FSD?

So, to entice potential EAP takers, Tesla has reclassified EAP features as FSD features.

If the goal is to sell more FSD and not EAP, then I don't see the future for the revival of EAP offer.

I think the reason Tesla stopped selling EAP because there were too few FSD takers.

There were more EAP than FSD buyers so how do you convert future EAP buyers to buy FSD?

So, to entice potential EAP takers, Tesla has reclassified EAP features as FSD features.

If the goal is to sell more FSD and not EAP, then I don't see the future for the revival of EAP offer.

AP includes TACC and Autosteer and you are starting to see variations of that in ICEs in the price range of the Model 3.
So splitting out these two important features from EAP at a lower price makes a lot of sense.

Then making AP a mandatory option was a neat way of raising the margin on SR+ while providing a more driveable car.

I'd also say that NoA and Advanced Summon are taxing the limits of HW2.5, so aligning those primarily to HW3 also makes more sense.
(Though those of us with HW2.5 and EAP are left with a quandary)

• Disagree
Reactions: alcibiades
Not commenting on Tesla's side of the equation but just based on my perspective as a consumer with EAP, $3k to go from autopilot to NOA would not be worth it to me. I use NOA and I like it mainly because I find I'm less likely to miss a freeway exit/interchange, but the marginal value for me is pretty low. However, ever since buying a key fob, I've become addicted to the summons feature. Knowing what I know now, I'd definitely pay an extra $3k for that feature.

They have either made things too interesting, or alienated people, but I think the pricing is now right on.
AP is standard and ought to be part of every car. Other automakers have some version of it so there is no point in not making it standard.

Of the current $6K for FSD, this is my breakdown.

Nav on AP is worth $1K for sure, maybe $1.5K. They do not offer only that feature, but if so (plus basic summon). Its a $1.5K feature easy.

The first day that you an come out of a restaurant and have the car pull out of its parking space to get you (advanced summon) that's $1k right there for me. Now, don't get me wrong, its a parlor trick, but considering all the other features that automakers charge $1k extra for, having the car drive to you in a friggen parking lot is $1k all day long.

The first day that the car stops and starts at red lights and stop signs thats another $1k feature.

The first day the car can make left and right turns its $1k.

So, for all those things, either separately or together, with a driver monitoring, its $4.5K, those will probably hit this year, so when I paid $6k for the bundle of some of those which work right now and some which will work probably this year, I really only "bet" $1.5 to $2K for FSD.

Because of this, I don't see it as spending $6k for something I did not get, if you see the point.

However, the day that the damn car can take me to work, drop me off, take my wife to work, drop her off, and come back for me. That's not the final $2K, that's $20K! So I feel like i have bet $2K on a chance at $20K in a couple of years.

Plus, I get the fun of beta testing it along the way. However, that does not mean I would argue with someone to buy it if they were on the fence or whether they did not want to spend an extra $6K now. Despite my analysis that's just my opinion. Kind of like wheel choice or car color.

Reactions: AZHobos
Yes, I'd upgrade. I don't care about NoA, I don't believe FSD is coming anytime soon but I would like the auto lane change on demand. I don't even know what else is included in EAP.

How is this feature possibly safe today if the deployed HW and SW right now can’t even detect vehicles in adjacent lanes right next to the car with sufficient reliability? It’s time for Tesla to put up or shut up.

I truly don’t understand how anyone can have so much faith in Tesla’s autonomy promises given the current performance of this system and the well known failure to deliver on promises going back years. Because of the autonomy day sales pitch???

So no, I would definitely not pay extra for EAP or FSD. I actually wish there was a way to completely remove any Tesla autonomy features (as in: make them completely go away, including the awful visualization).

Any value add that people bring up instantly evaporates because these are ALL features that must be extremely reliable due to the enormous risk and potentially catastrophic consequences if something fails.

My new P3 can’t even detect cars in the blind spot reliably, something my other non Tesla car can do 100%. So if people dislike my opinion and think I’m trolling, I suggest to look at what your Tesla can actually do reliably (!!!) now and be honest.

My new P3 can’t even detect cars in the blind spot reliably, something my other non Tesla car can do 100%. So if people dislike my opinion and think I’m trolling, I suggest to look at what your Tesla can actually do reliably (!!!) now and be honest.

This is very true. I've noticed the same even on a short drive test. I specifically wanted to test this so I got on the highway and went a bit slower just to see exactly when cars show up on the screen. It's not reliable and it seems that when they do show up, it's quite late compared to regular blind spot detection in practically every other "regular" car.

Also, sort of related, visibility over the shoulder for actually checking cars in blind spots, is not that great on the right side.