Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, brakes are amazing! Unbelievable stopping power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's a drizzly day here in Northern NJ. I was with my family in the X going to look for a commuter car for me. We were going about 50 mph coming to a light on a small highway. My lane was clear until some moron decided to cut into my lane without signal and without looking. My foot went through the floor! My wife and I couldn't even react with a yell or scream because it was so last second. Probably had less than 1 foot before the MS came to a stop. I honked for 1/4 mile until the left lane was clear, pulled next to the 60+ woman. I had my kids in the car so profanity was limited...she didn't even look in my direction.

I know we gripe about the autopilot and fit and finish sometimes, but this car is the real deal.

Side note, don't ever take your MS to any ICE dealer. The people inside the dealership and even the sales reps are more interested in learning about your MS than telling you about theirs. My wife was thoroughly embarrassed.

I had the same exact thing happen to me. I'm driving clear in the right lane and someone in backed up lane next to me pulls out without looking or giving a blinker. I had to slammmmmmmm so hard on the breaks and the car even steered a little to the right to avoid. It was brutal. But thank god the breaks are amazing.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Steering response is also amazing, I mean in urgent situations. At ~50mph, some guy in lane left of me partially passed & then yanked right into my lane, and because of the awesome MX response (no time for breaking), I steered clear of a collision by sweeping safely into the shoulder lane. I don't like surprises, but this car is better prepared to deal with them than most I recon.

Reactions: travis010
The brakes are good, but not amazing. I'd say you need to also consider the low center of gravity, weight, and the REGEN braking the most. You want to experience a good bite on a heavy SUV? 6 piston high performance Brembo brakes on the RRS. That's pure brake bite and will throw you into the seat belt.

The stopping power in the Tesla line though is very impressive and much better because of the lower cost to replace the brake system in my opinion. Knowing I don't need to dish out 4K+ on a brake system is very nice :)

So it's a drizzly day here in Northern NJ. I was with my family in the X going to look for a commuter car for me. We were going about 50 mph coming to a light on a small highway. My lane was clear until some moron decided to cut into my lane without signal and without looking."
Idk the exact particulars of your situation, but a word of advice is don't idle in peoples blind spots. Driving an old chevy back in the day I was amazed at how many people it seemed would just cruise right where my blind spot would have been had it not been for my big window in the back. Also the one thing that gets me about auto makers is they seem to prefer style over functional safety when it comes to paint jobs. I wish they had some sort of high contrast paint to increase visibility to other drivers. I.E. the opposite of camouflage

Note also that, assuming you are not in AP/TACC, the instant you begin to lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal, the car goes into regeneration mode which, of course, starts significantly slowing the car. In an ICE, the time from starting to lift your foot from the accelerator to hitting the brake pedal is measurable and at 50 mph, the distance covered significant. Regeneration is your friend in these situations.