Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow - When you buy tires from Tesla, you get no coverage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discount & Costco both include a prorated road hazard warranty that no OEM car dealer/manufacturer will provide.

If you really want overpriced tires, get them from a dealer that has “lifetime warranty as long as you do all regular maintenance through us”.

This particular tire issue aside, what I'm dealing with now is that they're saying that my tires are all nearly bald and in need of replacing. Which seems insane to me as they've been on for 13K miles.

Have you looked at the tires yourself?

All you need is a penny...you can check the tread depth yourself. Be sure to check each tire. And check each tire at two or three locations around the tire. See pics below.

I'm going to guess that the set of tires that lasted 35K miles aren't the same brand as the set you have on now. Or, if they are, they were cheaper and came with a lower mileage warranty. Some tires come with a 40K warranty, others come with 50, 60 or 80K warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 3.00.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 3.00.58 PM.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 3.01.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 3.01.11 PM.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 32
Have you looked at the tires yourself?

All you need is a penny...you can check the tread depth yourself. Be sure to check each tire. And check each tire at two or three locations around the tire. See pics below.

I'm going to guess that the set of tires that lasted 35K miles aren't the same brand as the set you have on now. Or, if they are, they were cheaper and came with a lower mileage warranty. Some tires come with a 40K warranty, others come with 50, 60 or 80K warranty.
It's still there, they only got to it this morning since it happened later last night.

But he said 2mm on the back tires, 5 on the front. either way, I've bought one tire already (and rim for 1300) so I'll need 3 other close matching ones. I'm just worried that the one I bought now is another garbage one and the 500 or so for the tire itself was a waste.

Discount & Costco both include a prorated road hazard warranty that no OEM car dealer/manufacturer will provide.

If you really want overpriced tires, get them from a dealer that has “lifetime warranty as long as you do all regular maintenance through us”.
Sadly I mistakenly assumed Tesla would have some form of this as their warranty is robust normally. I would understand if this was for the original stock tires that came with it - but not standing by tires that are half a year old feels very scummy.

Either way, being able to have a conversation with them and be like "you don't think this is weird?" without them talking over me and repeating company handbook phrases would have been nice.

You have to drive for a very long time on a completely flat tire to get it to come off the rim like that. And there are beeps and screen warnings urging you to pull over immediately the whole time. She must have been driving like in one of those police chase videos after hitting the spike strip with sparks flying up in the air and everything and it's pretty reasonable for automakers or tire makers to not warranty stuff like that. Tires can certainly have flaws which lead to failure, but it's 1-in-a-million and quite apparent. You haven't indicated that any such flaw or damage was found so it's probably just a regular old nail puncture that was egregiously ignored.

1697776244313.png

The tires should last plenty long but you have to be aware that everyone who sells tires will *always* tell you that the tires need to be replaced, even if they are brand new. And by the way, you should replace your air filter too.

Teslas are not "heavy". They are exactly the same weight as any other car. This is a crap lie that is perpetuated by meth heads.

You should try to match the front tires to each other and the rear tires to each other, but it does not matter if the fronts don't match the rears. If anyone told you otherwise, you should spit in his eye.

Your rim looks fine so I'm not sure why you bought a new one, but the maximum price you can pay for a factory rim is $650, and often much less. Those look like standard 18" Aeros which are widely available used.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
I would understand if this was for the original stock tires that came with it - but not standing by tires that are half a year old feels very scummy.
I just don’t think your expectations here align with reality. Whatever happened to that tire is not what your wife is reporting. It did not “explode” off the rim like that. It deflated, perhaps somewhat rapidly, and then it was driven on flat for a substantial distance to cause it to separate from the rim like that.

This is 100% user error. It doesn’t matter how old the tires are.

So the bottom line is . . . Buy your tires somewhere, perhaps anywhere else than Tesla.
And I find that sad and disappointing from a company that considers themselves to be “world class”.
World Class 😂

What obligation does a “world class” company have to fix this guy’s old lady driving a flat tire right off the rim?

I miss the old days when everyone wasn’t stabbing around desperately to find someone else to hold responsible for literally anything that goes wrong.

So the bottom line is . . . Buy your tires somewhere, perhaps anywhere else than Tesla.
And I find that sad and disappointing from a company that considers themselves to be “world class”.
Pretty much no car manufacturer covers road hazards unless you pay extra. The "world class" companies actually charge thousands for this as an option. The "low end" tire stores have much more affordable plans.

That is such bad customer service on the part of Tesla. Sorry that happened to you. I had another negative experience (though not as bad as yours). My car is still under warranty for another six months. I replaced the tires two weeks back and of course (Murphy's Law) got a screw in the tire. Called Tesla for roadside assistance and was told they wouldn't help me because I didn't buy the tires that Tesla sells. The tires I bought are from a well known, reputable manufacturer. Seems like a loophole they're taking advantage of.

I thought Tesla had good customer service. I guess not anymore.

Called Tesla for roadside assistance and was told they wouldn't help me because I didn't buy the tires that Tesla sells. The tires I bought are from a well known, reputable manufacturer. Seems like a loophole they're taking advantage of.

Or, you know, "sorry dealing with flat tires for free under warranty only comes with tires and wheels that match the factory installed ones, not third party aftermarket ones"

I miss the old days when everyone wasn’t stabbing around desperately to find someone else to hold responsible for literally anything that goes wrong

Those days are long, loooongggggg gone. There are plenty of times when (in this case Tesla) does stuff wrong, or that most people would say is not great, but for every one of those now, there is also situations where people try to shift blame to anyone other than themselves for something for "reasons" whatever they are, and then try to exert "social media pressure" when they dont get what they want.

Ironclad rules tend to come from companies getting burned by people taking advantage of something or other. Thats where we are now, because of all the blame shifting that goes on.

Reactions: hyp36rmax