Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of full wrap for the car. Whats the average life of the 3M? Any concerns with yellowing, peeling, etc.? How easy is it to take off?

Yellowing of paint armour is mainly caused by using products with petroleum distillates on them. As 3M was the first, people didn't know this and so they just waxed them like paint--and they all yellowed. Most people like Xpel now. I'm using Suntek.

This is my first wrap but I hear its good for up to 3 years, even though I probably won't keep it that long. As far as yellowing and peeling I was told by my installer that if anything goes wrong in the first 2 years I'm covered and he'll fix or replace.
I was thinking of full wrap for the car. Whats the average life of the 3M? Any concerns with yellowing, peeling, etc.? How easy is it to take off?

- - - Updated - - -

I heard the same thing which is one of the reasons I went with the black satin and not the matte.
Was never a fan of the matte stuff. Did it on my Mercedes G and it was horrible to clean. The fingerprints and oilys from the road was so tough to clean that I didn't even like taking the car out. When the stuff started discoloring, that was the last straw for me. I sold the car.

Classic example of perfection being in the eyes of the beholder. Several varied responses to the wrap/paint. I am sure from a value perspective that will likely be the case also. May make the car more valuable to the right buyer.

+1

I actually like the look of the wrap. :redface: Wrapping a car is nice as it protects the actual paint and the color can be (relatively) easily changed without much fuss.

Originally Posted by Amped_up
We have the clear wrap on our Sienna and the body shop told us that stuff was a bitch to get off. They replaced our bumper rather than deal with getting the wrap off and getting the bumper prepped for paint. It doesn't sound like it's very easy...

Was never a fan of the matte stuff. Did it on my Mercedes G and it was horrible to clean. The fingerprints and oilys from the road was so tough to clean that I didn't even like taking the car out. When the stuff started discoloring, that was the last straw for me. I sold the car.

I wrapped my G63 AMG satin black and it's really easy to keep clean; I just power wash it once a week. Did you get it wrapped or get the OEM matte paint? If wrapped, sounds like you had a bad installer or one that used low quality product. If the MB OEM matte paint, indeed that stuff is pretty hard to keep clean.

Love it the satin finish. Elon will love it too!

I am sitting in the shop getting my nose cone wrapped to match my white car body at this moment. For me, aesthetically the black shiny nose didn't work. I am confident others won't like the wrap as it does accentuate the facets, but I am loving it. Will post pictures in a new thread when finished.