Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wraps in San Diego

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone have a place where they’ve gotten the car wrapped XPEL but for less than 6k the top companies are charging around this price, wondering if anyone has gotten it cheaper. Yes I know cheaper price can result in cheaper quality, but I think 6k is a bit on the high end?

does anyone have a place where they’ve gotten the car wrapped XPEL but for less than 6k the top companies are charging around this price, wondering if anyone has gotten it cheaper. Yes I know cheaper price can result in cheaper quality, but I think 6k is a bit on the high end?

Monumental or 5 point will easily do for under that ..they do a lot of Tesla’s ...monumental is near the delivery center

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Also if u are in north county call CJ at Ghost Wrap he used to work for one of the shops above and now has his own shop in San Marcos he’s even lower priced than above but you would have to drive there ..

I’m getting mine (ordered..awaiting delivery Perf Model 3) done at 5 Point Auto Spa. Kearny Mesa area. They’ve done a lot of Teslas I have a few friends that had their cars done there and were really satisfied. They have a special going on until 7/31. I put a deposit down since I don’t have the car yet. It’s $5500 for xpel ultimate plus (gloss) and includes ceramic pro gold which is about $1290 costs.

i'm thinking of doing the front bumper since it'll get a decent amount of freeway driving. my buddy's dad got his porsche wrapped, paint correction, and ceramic coated at a place in LJ but it was pricey. they're known for doing high end cars though so that's expected I guess. i just can't spend the cost of a power wall on a wrap.

Hello!

I would be careful shopping around for pricing as quality of installation can vary across the board. There are many reasons and factors for the prices of such installations, and usually the shops willing to offer a deal or cut pricing are also cutting corners elsewhere on the installation. If this is not a big deal to you then definitely go for the lowest priced best reviewed shop out there. But dont expect it to be close to what some of the more expensive, experienced shops are offering fit and finish wise.

If you are looking to save costs, I'd recommend backing off on some levels of coverage but opting for a higher quality installation. Once paint gets razor cuts or other component damage its a really difficult and frustrating thing to deal with and certainly not worth saving a few hundred $$$

6k is super high especially for a PPF clear wrap that is much much easier than a colored wrap that is not wet applied.
I suggest going on a road trip to a cheaper state

This is unfortunately inaccurate, PPF being a clear material is much harder to install due to the fact that it shows debris and imperfections whereas colored vinyl does not. In addition, the cost of vinyl is about 1/4 that of PPF materials.

Reactions: dek526
Hello!

I would be careful shopping around for pricing as quality of installation can vary across the board. There are many reasons and factors for the prices of such installations, and usually the shops willing to offer a deal or cut pricing are also cutting corners elsewhere on the installation. If this is not a big deal to you then definitely go for the lowest priced best reviewed shop out there. But dont expect it to be close to what some of the more expensive, experienced shops are offering fit and finish wise.

If you are looking to save costs, I'd recommend backing off on some levels of coverage but opting for a higher quality installation. Once paint gets razor cuts or other component damage its a really difficult and frustrating thing to deal with and certainly not worth saving a few hundred $$$

This is unfortunately inaccurate, PPF being a clear material is much harder to install due to the fact that it shows debris and imperfections whereas colored vinyl does not. In addition, the cost of vinyl is about 1/4 that of PPF materials.

Tim can you explain in laymen’s terms why paying a much higher premium for installer of film is worth it ..are you saying a straighter cut is going to protect the car more ? Will that make the film last longer ? I don’t think so ..most of these installers that I have seen on groups buys are not necessarily hacks with razor blades they do decent jobs ..but if there is a compelling reason why other than some aesthetics on line cuts that u won’t see driving 75mph or from five feet away ..a person should pay your premium im open to hearing some reasons ..thanks

Tim can you explain in laymen’s terms why paying a much higher premium for installer of film is worth it ..are you saying a straighter cut is going to protect the car more ? Will that make the film last longer ? I don’t think so ..most of these installers that I have seen on groups buys are not necessarily hacks with razor blades they do decent jobs ..but if there is a compelling reason why other than some aesthetics on line cuts that u won’t see driving 75mph or from five feet away ..a person should pay your premium im open to hearing some reasons ..thanks

Yes totally, line cuts are a very small detail to an overall PPF/wrap job. Most installers are using precuts anyways and dont often cut on the vehicle unless they have a misalignment of the kit that needs trimming post installation. Minor things like an exposed edge of a hood or fender that doesnt get wrapped which gets chipped over time. Seams that collect dirt over time, installation techniques that use harsh adhesive promoters which weaken the paint bond to the panel, improperly trimming film that leads to paint damage. Removal of components such as side fender cameras which voids warranty and can cause calibration issues with auto pilot hardware etc. Alot of things the end consumer may not notice/know that lead to potential problems and an unsightly finish months or years down the road. Sure the install looks great when you pick it up, but once those edges that aren't properly sealed start lifting and collecting dirt weeks down the road, things are very different.

I am in no means talking about "hacks" there are many great shops out there, and for the most part "hacks" are not really in the public eye. I'm merely opening up the discussion for consumers to consider many possible outcomes from trying to find the best price. I'm also not saying a more expensive price leads to the best installation, its important for the consumer to do research and invest in the installer first.

See more info on this exact topic here:

If you are looking at protecting your car, but dont care how it looks 10 feet away then definitely go the cheapest route. My point is, dont expect it to match or meet your expectations long term. It'll "Do the job", but wont compare to a higher performing installer in comparison.

Here is a terrific example of a "normal" "industry standard" non-hack installation compared to a shop that REALLY knows what they're doing and demands a premium for going that extra mile.

In particular, Model 3 bumper, custom, one piece with no exposed paint. Pre-cuts installed improperly have large seams and many exposed edges/areas of paint that collect dirt and damage overtime.

All the best,

Tim Coats

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr and P85_DA
Hi Tim,

Thanks for chiming in the thread. I'm still learning about all this so thanks for your patience.

My Model 3 will be MSM and am still debating spending money on a wrap. Is there a brand of clear wrap that's better for a darker color? I can't spend $6k to wrap the whole car but don't want it obvious what parts are wrapped and what parts are not. At minimum, the front bumper would be done. Do you wrap the front bumper with a single piece? Custom or kit?

How does warranty work on the labor with these types of things? For instance in the video you linked, dust was building up on seams. To me, that'd be unacceptable after spending money to protect it. Does dust build up simply not happen with quality installs? If so, does a shop warranty that type of thing and redo the wrap?

I've used skins on my mobile phone for some time. Occasionally from being in a pocket, dust can start to affect the edges and a good looking phone becomes quite ugly. It's trivial to peel and reapply a phone skin, but a wrap on a car is a different league. What are the expectations a customer should have with this type of product and the shop chosen to do it?

Thanks.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for chiming in the thread. I'm still learning about all this so thanks for your patience.

My Model 3 will be MSM and am still debating spending money on a wrap. Is there a brand of clear wrap that's better for a darker color? I can't spend $6k to wrap the whole car but don't want it obvious what parts are wrapped and what parts are not. At minimum, the front bumper would be done. Do you wrap the front bumper with a single piece? Custom or kit?

How does warranty work on the labor with these types of things? For instance in the video you linked, dust was building up on seams. To me, that'd be unacceptable after spending money to protect it. Does dust build up simply not happen with quality installs? If so, does a shop warranty that type of thing and redo the wrap?

I've used skins on my mobile phone for some time. Occasionally from being in a pocket, dust can start to affect the edges and a good looking phone becomes quite ugly. It's trivial to peel and reapply a phone skin, but a wrap on a car is a different league. What are the expectations a customer should have with this type of product and the shop chosen to do it?

Thanks.

Fantastic questions Nathaniel, thank you for asking! I'll go over each in detail...

There are pro's and con's to PPF, the Pro's are protecting your paint, peace of mind, etc. the only real con is the price commitment. Do take into consideration, there is no necessary need to wrap the full vehicle. The film is designed for high wear and tear areas of the car such as the bumpers, and forward facing surfaces, Hood, fenders, mirrors etc.

Most films on the market will all offer great optical clarity, some are slightly clearer than others but its very minimal. For a color like MSM you really cant go wrong with any 10 year warrantied, self healing PPF brand.

Those dirty edges are not covered in any film warranty, fit and finish is outside the scope of any manufacturers warranty and would fall under the hands of the person whom has installed it. Installations should not build up debris overtime in the edges when done properly, usually if there is a problem its due to the fact that areas were improperly sealed or aligned and the adhesive side of the film is no longer bonded to the paint and now collecting dust and dirt.

You can see first hand just how difficult film installation is, its truly an art form. Imagine covering 3 dimensional surfaces on the exterior of a vehicle with minimal imperfections, its not an easy thing to do at all and thus what really starts separating a good installation from a great. There is no such thing as perfect, minor imperfections can be possible on certain parts of the installation but when done right are not obvious or detract from the appearance. Some panels cannot be wrapped such as between fenders and bumper so there will be a few edges you can see up close, but how these look can vary from shop to shop. If there is a large gap, uneven cut, dirt build up etc. most likely it wasnt done to its fullest potential. Some shops remove bumpers and large panels to wrap between, I don't do that nor recommend it do to possibility of broken or misaligned components/voiding warranties etc. In addition these panels tend to be too tight/rub overtime and cause the film to lift anyways, so there is a balance between coverage as well as aesthetics and really comes down to an installer that is experienced enough to know that difference.

Hope that helps!

• Informative
Reactions: dek526
I’m getting mine (ordered..awaiting delivery Perf Model 3) done at 5 Point Auto Spa. Kearny Mesa area. They’ve done a lot of Teslas I have a few friends that had their cars done there and were really satisfied. They have a special going on until 7/31. I put a deposit down since I don’t have the car yet. It’s $5500 for xpel ultimate plus (gloss) and includes ceramic pro gold which is about $1290 costs.
Thank you for your business!
If anyone has any questions about our installs please feel free to call 619-972-6524 and please check out this video!