Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom SMS Messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already did and pointed them to the forum listing the issue so they could see how widespread it was. According to them they have started looking in to it on your end.
Good! It's a shame there is no public bug report interaction like Google has. In fact, Tesla stopped receiving push bug reports a while ago. Techs can still see it but it never goes to HQ unless it's internally escalated. But we can't know any of that, unfortunately.

Reactions: RNHurt
I was thinking about this problem yesterday (as it happened again) and I wonder if it has anything to do with the actual state your phone is in. Things have been working pretty well for a couple of days and I thought that it might have been fixed, then yesterday I received some TXT messages in my car and it appeared to work correctly. I then pulled out my phone to double check the messages and put it away again. The next few messages I received in my car were completely wrong; almost like when the messages app is running, Android & Tesla don't communicate well.

Anyone else notice this?

I've got an Android - Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I've had phantom texts come in like others over the last month, but I had a really strange one come through yesterday.
My wife & I were driving back from a hotel about 100 miles from our house. I was driving, and she was sitting right next to me.
All of a sudden a text comes into the Tesla from my wife that says something to the effect of ".... and when you left, blood was still pouring out ...." .
I asked her who she meant to send that to. She said she didn't send it to anyone, and we hadn't been speaking about anything related to blood on our trip. I looked at my phone - no new texts from anyone.

When I got home, I searched all of my text's, and there wasn't one that had that phrase, or anything related to it. I have no idea where that one came from.

I've got an Android - Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I've had phantom texts come in like others over the last month, but I had a really strange one come through yesterday.
My wife & I were driving back from a hotel about 100 miles from our house. I was driving, and she was sitting right next to me.
All of a sudden a text comes into the Tesla from my wife that says something to the effect of ".... and when you left, blood was still pouring out ...." .
I asked her who she meant to send that to. She said she didn't send it to anyone, and we hadn't been speaking about anything related to blood on our trip. I looked at my phone - no new texts from anyone.

When I got home, I searched all of my text's, and there wasn't one that had that phrase, or anything related to it. I have no idea where that one came from.
Happened to my friend's wife's phone too. He's dead now. And she's in jail.

@skydve1, over the past 6 months or so I've had several messages come through that I couldn't find on my phone nor even remember receiving. I though at first it was just the messages were really old or I just didn't remember, but maybe they were not from my phone at all. Maybe some wires are crossed somewhere and we're getting messages designated for someone else and the car/phone just attributes them to one of our recent contacts. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: skydve1
@skydve1, over the past 6 months or so I've had several messages come through that I couldn't find on my phone nor even remember receiving. I though at first it was just the messages were really old or I just didn't remember, but maybe they were not from my phone at all. Maybe some wires are crossed somewhere and we're getting messages designated for someone else and the car/phone just attributes them to one of our recent contacts. 🤷‍♂️

In the past I've seen them from various friends with the message something like "Hey - are you around?" - which is a typically message I'd get. And when I look at my phone there's not one , or it's an old message.

This is the first one that was totally out of the ordinary. Especially since the sender (my wife) was sitting right next to me.
Maybe we are getting messages meant for another tesla driver. I would have loved to show that one to the SC. :) We need a screenshot feature on the display!

I'm having this issue and lately it is also deleting new messages off of my phone after I see them come in on screen in the car. I will have the car read new incoming messages, then later I see those messages are completely removed off of the phone with no trace of them. WTF? Anyone else having this issue?

I'm having this issue and lately it is also deleting new messages off of my phone after I see them come in on screen in the car. I will have the car read new incoming messages, then later I see those messages are completely removed off of the phone with no trace of them. WTF? Anyone else having this issue?
While I am having the issue of phantom messages appearing in my car, I have not noticed any messages being removed from my phone. There does appear to be a short delay in syncing messages between the phone and car but they do eventually appear.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
This is crazy bad that this is still going on... I deleted the new Google message platform thinking that was playing a roll, deleted all my old conversations, made sure everything was "read"... still getting these random text popups on my Tesla with the stock SMS app... sometimes it's the wrong person and wrong message entirely, sometimes it's right... how can this tech-heavy car not get this right?

I've had my MY for over a year and messaging has worked perfectly, then this happened to me twice this week. I'm using Samsung A52. I thought it might have been a V11 thing but now I see this isn't a new phenomenon. The messages that came in were 5 and 6 years old. When I answered one of them, I got a response that was actually the sender's next message in that historical thread. She was sending me some WTF? messages in real time - those appeared in the thread on my phone but were not relayed through the car so I didn't see them till later. Very weird experience!

iOS phone here, been having this issue for months now. Never get archived (super old) text but somewhat recent. The phone acts like it doesn't recognize the contact and displays just the phone number. Message is usually from that same day but just no where near recent. 2022.4.5.3

we need someone who Elon pays attention to on twitter to tweet at him if we could please have a working text message function in Tesla. then he'll respond "ok" and we'll have it fixed within "2 weeks".

Other than that, next best option is everyone opens a service ticket for this issue, provides the same details and links to forum threads showing this is a long standing issue that affects many tesla owners.