Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTT Model 3 LR for Dual Motor Model S + cash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kind of a weird request, but I figure maybe someone is interested.

I will trade you a ready to order (you pick what options you want) Model 3 for your Model S + $35k cash.
the way i read that, you buy the 3 the way I want it. then you trade it to me for my MS with $35K in the glove box.

that's not selling a reservation, that trading a model 3 for a model s with cash in the glove box.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm fine with ordering the car, but then I'm the one getting the tax rebate, etc... so it seems to make more sense to order it with whatever color/wheel options the buyer would want. If I configure it with the buyers options and put it in his name, he gets the rebate. I'm still the one paying $60k for a Model 3. I'm looking for someone with an older, higher mileage Model S that wants a new Model 3 to trade for what they'd get as a CPO + cash, instead of just trading the CPO and putting in for a new car. Seems like it would be less of a hassle that way.

As I said, I wasn't aware the dual motors weren't available on the lesser Model S's prior to AP, so I understand where you're coming from. I don't think I want to go back to a RWD version, which is one of the reasons I haven't ordered the Model 3.

However, your analogy is incorrect. I'm not asking someone to trade a car for a reservation spot. That is silly. I'm offering a Model 3 for $35k + a MS. Overpriced or not, there's no "giving away a car" here... a Model 3 is valued at ~$60k at the moment and I'm looking for a $25k Model S. It may be the options I want in the Model S aren't available at the price point, true, but there's no "giving" a car away. To the best of my knowledge (and please correct me if I'm wrong), you can't walk up to Tesla and offer them $35k and a car and they'll give you a Model 3, right?

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
Basically, I want to end up paying $20-$25k out of pocket for a Model S. A fully configured Model 3 runs about $60k.

Wait, I think I see. You want to buy the Model 3 with the 'buyers' configuration.

You'd pay the $60k+ (plus sales tax, registration, etc) for the new Model 3 (less the tax credit), so you're out of pocket $52,500 for step #1.

Then step #2, you want to trade that $52,750 M3 (which is now technically a used car) to someone for a MS+$35k.

You end up with an old, used, MS for a total outlay of (approx) $17,750.

Interesting.

edit: Typing too slow.

Wait, I think I see. You want to buy the Model 3 with the 'buyers' configuration.

You'd pay the $60k+ (plus sales tax, registration, etc) for the new Model 3 (less the tax credit), so you're out of pocket $52,500 for step #1.

Then step #2, you want to trade that $52,750 M3 (which is now technically a used car) to someone for a MS+$35k.

You end up with an old, used, MS for a total outlay of (approx) $17,750.

Interesting.

Well, ideally, I could just put the car in the buyers name and skip the "selling" part of the Model 3. I just pay for the Model 3 from Tesla and register it to the buyer. Maybe you can't do that? Either way, whatever ends up working so I end up with an older Model S in place of the brand new Model 3 and I'm out of pocket about $20 - $25k for said Model S.

Looking at archived CPO data, the cheapest dual-motor CPOs sold for $50k last month.

upload_2018-2-23_13-47-18.png

Let's just say trade-in value for the cheapest 85D is $40k.

Plus the $35k in cash, you are asking someone to pay about $75k for a $60k Model 3.

If someone wants one that bad, maybe.

. I just pay for the Model 3 from Tesla and register it to the buyer. Maybe you can't do that?

That could prove to be a challenge. You can register/title the car in someone else's name from what we've been hearing. But then you pay for it? That's dicey. You pay for the car, but they get title? You'd need to get their MS and $35k prior to that, otherwise they could just drive away in the M3 titled and registered in their name, but you paid for it.

Oh, and if someone already has an MS, wouldn't they do better to order a M3 today, get bumped up and configure immediately, and then trade in their car to Tesla for $40k? (they'd also get the sales tax break with trade-ins in most states).

This is a strange deal, for sure. Creative, but strange all around.

Last edited:
So so you want me to fork over $35K plus my car, so you're valuing the m3 at 60 meaning you're looking for a 25K MS. You'd have to be willing to move on either end of the car/cash value and you may find someone willing. For me I'd only want color and AP so my price would be 35+9+5+1+5+1 for destination charge = 56K is what i'd value the deal at (LR, PUP, Paint, AP, Dest) if somehow you could claim the tax credit for 7K that'd bring the amount owed to $49K ( I can't claim the credit because I'm poor :()

With the order banks open, your only hope kinda hinges on someone not liking the the trade in value on their S and you taking little to no money on top of that S

Not saying this makes sense or is a fair trade, but the guy wants to give you $25k + his M3 reservation for your S.. not a fair trade regardless, but hes not asking you to give him 25 or 35k.

Not saying this makes sense or is a fair trade, but the guy wants to give you $25k + his M3 reservation for your S.. not a fair trade regardless, but hes not asking you to give him 25 or 35k.

Keep reading, it's the other way around.

He's kinda right, it's just a different way of writing the same formula.

@Naonak could accomplish the same goal by saying his M3 reservation + $25k for your Model S.

These are basically equivalent, it's just that the $25k switches sides, and in one case it's an M3, and the other, the M3 reservation

Code:
$60k M3               = MS + $25k + $10k
M3 Reservation + $25k = MS

The "missing" $10k is the supposed value of the reservation.

I think the second way makes more sense and is easier to pull off. I'll give you my M3 reservation plus $25k in trade for your MS free and clear.

to be fair i think the wrong premise that started this is that he thinks there are "D" cars selling for the high 20 to low 30s it is a reasonably fair and interesting deal that way... however a sub 30K MS doesn't exist to my knowledge unless it is a 2012 with 100K in mileage...

I suggest you really understand the value of the MS you want and adjust the "cash in the glovebox" accordingly...