Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Ice 3 winter tires messed up the regen badly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I had Michelin X-Ice 3 tires put on the rear of my 3 a couple days ago, as the original rear tires were down to 1/32" at 16,000 miles. No, I didn't rotate my tires, there's no sense in having 4 evenly worn tires heading into winter! The X-Ice 3's may be good winter tires, but they really messed with the regen. My green "regen" bar wanders all over the place at low speeds, high speeds, and in between.

One example - yesterday I was on the PA Turnpike, and with my exit coming up, I started slowing down from 90 mph or so. The green regen bar only went about half as far into regen as it had room for, before hitting the dots, then it went to less regen, then to NO regen, all before I had coasted down to 70 mph. Then the regen came back on stronger and was sort of variable, I had to use the brake pedal to slow the car down! After this I started paying attention to the regen in different driving speeds and conditions, and it's not good.

My guess is that the sponginess of the winter tire compound is having a torquing / untorquing effect on the axle shafts, and with the Tesla traction control polling up to 1000 times per second, it is freaking it out. I think a solution would be to have a winter tire setting in driving options, and for regen purposes, the computer would check for torque readings less often, like maybe an average reading over a tenth or quarter or half a second.

Hey Tesla, when am I going to get my free EAP for being your beta tester? There's snowy mountain areas out in California, this should have been researched more.

You have to have your car set for the exact tire you have. Especially if you didn't buy the winter tire package from Tesla. This is for the very reason you are describing with regen. They sent it wine announcement a while back. Go to service center

You have to have your car set for the exact tire you have. Especially if you didn't buy the winter tire package from Tesla. This is for the very reason you are describing with regen. They sent it wine announcement a while back. Go to service center

Is that correct? I have not seen that anywhere before nor is it mentioned anywhere I can find. Tire size is set when you switch wheels in the car, but I have not seen anywhere that there is any setting for tire type. My assumption was that the car would automatically adjust to the adhesion of the tires and this is not a setting.

As has been stated, there is a well known issue with any of the better winter tires causing the car to reduce regen. Likely because good winter tires have deep & soft tread, which makes the tires "squirm," confusing the over-sensitive traction control system.

As has also been stated, it's unsafe to only install winter tires on the drive wheels. I'm surprised any reputable tire shop was even willing to do that.

If you haven't reported the issue to Tesla, consider doing so with the steps below. They already know about the issue and seem unable/unwilling to fix it. But, more complaints can't hurt!

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Reactions: voip-ninja
The regen issue with snows is known as has been stated but to only put snows on the rear is a fail waiting to happen.

Obviously all steering is through the front but majority of the braking is as well and from what I've seen most people are setting regen to low for truly bad winter conditions, meaning you won't be getting as much braking via regen from your drive wheels when you need it.

I applaud you for actually getting winter tires instead of limping through a winter with all seasons but why half ass it?