Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Ice XI3 on Model 3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was going to put winter tires on my car and a local tire shop I do a lot of business with said they dont care if I buy my own tires they will mount them anyway. I found the michelin x-ice on tirerack for $200 a tire with free shipping. Does anyone have any experience, recommendations or thoughts on the x-ice and the model 3 so far? Thanks all! :)

i got new 19in wheels and michelin alpin 5 for the Performance M3 for winter. the tires are pretty awesome. possibly higher performance tires than xi3 . not sure how they perform in ice/snow yet since i haven't had that yet. but in cold weather they are great.

Reactions: torch0395
I have the X-ice on my LR Model 3. I'm very satisfied with the snow/ice performance and happily surprised by the minimal hit to fuel economy. I think they even come with a mileage warranty which is completely unexpected in a winter tyre. My intent was to buy Hakki by Nokian but no inventory forced me to my second choice. Probably worked out for the best.

I have them on my M3 AWD and STI. Great tire. Just make sure you get XL and the matching (or greater) load rating as the stock tires.

18s = 98 load rating

FC140556-01D8-4BA3-A9B8-BF33CFC01029.jpeg
CAACFF93-81B6-415F-9FE5-AB581F66410C.jpeg

I got a set of Xi3 mounted a little over a week ago. Put a few hundred miles on them and they cannot handle the cars acceleration. Under full acceleration the wheels give out early and slip. Even under the acceleration from 40 mph they give out. Be warned for anyone getting them for a P3D. You will be giving up performance for half the year. Bummer..

I got a set of Xi3 mounted a little over a week ago. Put a few hundred miles on them and they cannot handle the cars acceleration. Under full acceleration the wheels give out early and slip. Even under the acceleration from 40 mph they give out. Be warned for anyone getting them for a P3D. You will be giving up performance for half the year. Bummer..

Yep, you need a performance winter tire or an all-weather (not all season but something like a Michelin CrossClimate+) tire if you are going to unleash the P3D when it is cold out. X-Ice has low rolling resistance though IIRC so at least no range penalty for putting on winter tires...

Yep, you need a performance winter tire or an all-weather (not all season but something like a Michelin CrossClimate+) tire if you are going to unleash the P3D when it is cold out.

True, that's why I just keep the car in chill mode all winter. I ran the Xi3 all last winter with no issues. When things are messy and you have no regen, you'll much prefer the added traction of the Xi3.

For those places that receive more snow and ice during the winter, the Xi3 is a better choice. If your winters are mostly just cold, and things stay mostly dry, a performance winter tire is the better choice. Buy what suits your conditions.

Reactions: Pricedm
True, that's why I just keep the car in chill mode all winter. I ran the Xi3 all last winter with no issues. When things are messy and you have no regen, you'll much prefer the added traction of the Xi3.

For those places that receive more snow and ice during the winter, the Xi3 is a better choice. If your winters are mostly just cold, and things stay mostly dry, a performance winter tire is the better choice. Buy what suits your conditions.
I agree. I have had Xi3 and Tesla supplied Sottozero II. X-ice really handled snow and ice but had only fair dry performance. The Sottozero's perform very well in the cold but are merely acceptable in snow. I live in the western NC mountains, so Sottozero's work for me. When I was in Wisconsin, X-ice was my choice.

Any thoughts on the Michelin Alpin's vs Xice?
PA4 much better on a dry road, the Xice the choice on snow or ice.
Hot new tire is Vredestein Wintrac Pro--nailed all the tests with CR; got with 18" Alutecs that I think are from same people as Rial, but in any case made in Poland (I have had extensive, great experience with Rial's built there) from Tire Rack for under $1600 shipped/taxed/mounted. Will not be nearly as rubbery and terrible on dry as the Xice, of that I am certain. Will have to see for myself about snow and ice.
BTW, the Alutec's one of the very few wheels that bolt up with no centering ring and use same lug nuts as with stock Performance (20") wheels.

Was going to put winter tires on my car and a local tire shop I do a lot of business with said they dont care if I buy my own tires they will mount them anyway. I found the michelin x-ice on tirerack for $200 a tire with free shipping. Does anyone have any experience, recommendations or thoughts on the x-ice and the model 3 so far? Thanks all! :)

I have a LR RWD with 18" X-Ice and couldn't be more confident driving in snow. I had trepidation of RWD in snow (even knowing the weight distribution is unlike anything in a RWD ICE car) because I live in a very hilly New England area. I will go out on a limb and say the RWD Model 3 performs in snow on hills with winter tires better than any FWD car with winter tires I've had. Even from a stop in snow on a hill, it bites in and goes right up without slipping. So, you'll be more than fine with them on your AWD.