Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xmas tree on roof - rack mount screw thread size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PeterK

Model X, 3 & Y Owner
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2013
Cambridge, MA
I will be driving some distance to a tree farm with kids, and don't want to have to take the ICE minivan. Not worried about tying tree on pano roof because there's no paint to scratch. But would rather not have to do the twine through the windows approach to tie it on.

The thought occurred to me to pick up eye bolts matching the thread size of the roof rack mounting points. Has anyone tried this, or have documentation of the size and threading? Or have experience with these on a Mercedes, because like some of the interior controls I believe they are sourced from MB?

Quick responses appreciated - hoping to go today if the weather is ok. Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. It was a beautiful day and we found a nice tree. Tried bolts with big washers (no metric eye bolts) but 8mm was too big so got 7mm. However they started but didn't really fit the threads. It just happened my neighbor had four bolts that fit. - will check the size next time I'm at the hardware store We used the washers and connected bungee and rope/twine. Also he had these straps for tying a kayak that worked well on the bolts, and we improvised with a wrench.
e6eqegem.jpg

abeduru2.jpg

The tree slid back and to the right early on due to uneven tying. But it held steady at 70 after I adjusted it. However the wind resistance of a big tree is significant. I think I was over 500 wh/mi on the return doing 55 - 70 vs about 330 wh/mi on the way down when I was doing nearly 80. Started out with rated range of double the 70+ mile trip, and ended with 5 miles to spare.

Sap doesn't appear to be an issue on the glass but I did manage to snap off one of the rack mount covers when tightening the rope. No big deal.

nahuqe5e.jpg

Thanks again for advice.

It's due for a good wash and detailing - maybe I'll finally get the opticoating I've been considering as well. But with five kids and all that they bring it's never been my intent to baby this vehicle. I am getting full use out of it and will continue to do so. It's no surprise that It's got 11k miles after 8 months while my A4 hit 20k at three years when I sold it. And our minivan is now relegated to my wife's local driving or our son's weekend trips (no borrowing my Model S).

I used the bolts in the roof rack mounts today to get my tree home. Mine is SN113xxx, late Nov, 2015, and for this MS the bolts are M6x1. A length of 30 to 40 mm is plenty, use a large 1/4" ID washer and the cord ties under that. The M8x1.25 is too large for mine. I think the mount covers are also different in that they open to the outside of the car and do not stand as high as in the pictures of the earlier model MS.