Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Stealth satin finish PPF easy to maintain ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my 2020 m3p with xpel stealth!
Image from iOS (8).jpg
Image from iOS (8).jpg
Image from iOS (7).jpg

Wanted to bump this thread.

I’m seriously considering stealth wrap, but I don’t want to do ceramic coating. Wondering for all those that got stealth wrap. How has the maintenance been? Does it stain easily?

I have regular Xpel PPF, not the Stealth. But if I did get a matte PPF like Stealth, I might consider a spray sealant specifically made for Matte paint and wraps such as Gyeon Q²M Cure Matte:

From the Gyeon website: "Q²M Cure Matte is a unique, silica-based spray sealant designed for matte finished paints and wraps. It’s both a stand-alone product providing durable protection and self-cleaning abilities, as well as a spray detailer for ceramic coatings. It increases the depth and intensity of the colour without adding any gloss to the finish."

That said, I believe other spray sealants can also be used on Stealth as long as they are PPF safe. For example The Last Coat 2.0 says that it is safe to use on Matte surfaces.

Wanted to bump this thread.

I’m seriously considering stealth wrap, but I don’t want to do ceramic coating. Wondering for all those that got stealth wrap. How has the maintenance been? Does it stain easily?
IMO, you don’t know you needed it until you wish you had it. When I first had PPF put on my 2012 S, I did not do ceramic. All our trees had a weird disease that caused a lot of sap that year, and I got sap spots all over. The PPF had to be buffed. So I added ceramic and no problems since. Now, that was gloss PPF. For my 3 with satin, I also had ceramic done. I find the texture of the satin is much less smooth than the normal PPF so to me it really needs ceramic to properly shed water. However if you don’t want to spend the $ to have a 5 or 10 year ceramic coat, I can highly recommend xpel ceramic boost XPEL Ceramic Boost (16 oz)
Which keeps it shedding water and makes low water washing easy. I use it about every 4th wash and find a bottle good for at least 6 applications. Takes about 15 minutes to apply.

I have regular Xpel PPF, not the Stealth. But if I did get a matte PPF like Stealth, I might consider a spray sealant specifically made for Matte paint and wraps such as Gyeon Q²M Cure Matte:

I find the texture of the satin is much less smooth than the normal PPF so to me it really needs ceramic to properly shed water.

I believe the top layer of the PPF is identical between the stealth and ultimate plus, so there should be no difference in smoothness.

My S is another brand, so I cannot specifically attest to xpel gloss vs satin, but I’d love to hear from an installer experienced with both. Even if top layer is physically the same, I’m certain they’d say there’s significant textural difference.

can I apply Turtle HYBRID SOLUTIONS CERAMIC WAX SPRAY COATING on top of the stealth PPF?

I have to give the disclaimer that I do not have Stealth PPF and I could be totally wrong, but if I did have Stealth I would either use a spray coating specifically developed for matte paint and PPF (such as Gyeon Q²M Cure Matte described in my post above). Or I would choose a ceramic spray sealant that contains no carnauba wax or other waxes. This is from an older blog post on Dr. Beasley's website, but I would imagine it still applies:

"Why You Can’t Wax Matte Paint Finishes

Wax and matte paint are mortal enemies for one reason: wax gradually begins to reverse the ‘flat’ effect. Waxes are most commonly known as protection products that yield a shine, mostly because they’re made of carnauba and filling ingredients. In basic speak, traditional waxes fill imperfections to create an even surface. Problem is, matte paint is full of imperfections. In fact, it’s those very imperfections and microscopic dimples that diffuse light rays and make the surface appear non-reflective to the human eye."

Personally, I would email Xpel and ask them what they recommend for sealing and protecting Stealth PPF. My guess is that they are going to recommend their own PPF sealant or ceramic boost spray. And I don't think they carry or offer sealants specifically for matte finishes. You could also ask them if you choose to use a PPF-safe spray sealant that contains carnauba wax, would that have any impact on the matte appearance of Stealth.

Reactions: elementsdk1
I have to give the disclaimer that I do not have Stealth PPF and I could be totally wrong, but if I did have Stealth I would either use a spray coating specifically developed for matte paint and PPF (such as Gyeon Q²M Cure Matte described in my post above). Or I would choose a ceramic spray sealant that contains no carnauba wax or other waxes. This is from an older blog post on Dr. Beasley's website, but I would imagine it still applies:

"Why You Can’t Wax Matte Paint Finishes

Wax and matte paint are mortal enemies for one reason: wax gradually begins to reverse the ‘flat’ effect. Waxes are most commonly known as protection products that yield a shine, mostly because they’re made of carnauba and filling ingredients. In basic speak, traditional waxes fill imperfections to create an even surface. Problem is, matte paint is full of imperfections. In fact, it’s those very imperfections and microscopic dimples that diffuse light rays and make the surface appear non-reflective to the human eye."

Personally, I would email Xpel and ask them what they recommend for sealing and protecting Stealth PPF. My guess is that they are going to recommend their own PPF sealant or ceramic boost spray. And I don't think they carry or offer sealants specifically for matte finishes. You could also ask them if you choose to use a PPF-safe spray sealant that contains carnauba wax, would that have any impact on the matte appearance of Stealth.

Thanks!

Any of you guys who have had stealth done, did they do your door sills and b pillar? Or was it essentially, only outward facing panels.

basically only the panels that show when the hood, trunk and doors are all closed does it look stealth. When you open the doors and trunk and frunk, the exposed paint is glossy still correct?

Have a model 3 performance ordered and plan on getting the Xpel stealth plus ceramic coating. I assume that touching up occasionally with the xpel ceramic boost would keep things at max awesome. However...as a complete rookie here...I wonder if that would be total overkill? If there's anyone smarter than me who can comment I'd appreciate it.

Have a model 3 performance ordered and plan on getting the Xpel stealth plus ceramic coating. I assume that touching up occasionally with the xpel ceramic boost would keep things at max awesome. However...as a complete rookie here...I wonder if that would be total overkill? If there's anyone smarter than me who can comment I'd appreciate it.

To maintain your ceramic coating, to optimize its performance, and to extend its overall life, using a ceramic boost spray every 3-4 months is a really good idea. If you are getting the Xpel ceramic coating, then I would first try the boost spray recommended by Xpel. If the ceramic coating you are getting is not made by Xpel but by a different company, I would first try that company's boost spray.

Here is a helpful blog article from Dr. Beasley's explaining why ceramic boost sprays are necessary:

Why You Need To Maintain Ceramic Coatings

Reactions: BMCRedMP3