Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpeng begins 2,284 mile cross-country "FSD" drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The report does require the reason for a disengagement such as:

Test DriverStreetDisengage for unwanted maneuver of the vehicle that was undesirable under the circumstances

AV SystemHighwayDisengage for adverse weather conditions experienced during testing

Without disabling the system when it's compromised in bad weather, the potential accident could be minor in slow, traffic jam speed, or major if the speed was at 90MPH
That's why I don't think 1 in 29000 is good enough given the amount of cars, people, and objects a car would typically encounter on regular basis. It could mean the disengagement is just to prevent it from crossing over to the next lane when no one is there, but it could also mean it was stopped from hitting an undetected pedestrian. I think an official risk classification needs to be developed, just like we have in commercial aviation, so we can tell just how safe the system really is.

BTW, I know the reporting system for autonomous operation is one per x number of miles, so the typical airplane risk matrix would not work since those are 1 in x number of flights. So perhaps 1 in 1 million miles in autonomous car would be equivalent to 1e-9 in airplane?

...It could mean the disengagement is just to prevent it from crossing over to the next lane when no one is there, but it could also mean it was stopped from hitting an undetected pedestrian...

It would be nice if we can have more details such as whether it's a minor or major incident.

For now, I think having the current disengagement report is acceptable.

A minor incident of "crossing over to the next lane when no one is there" can be minor today as no one dies but it could be a major one next time if there's someone there.

Thus, whether minor or major, the goal is not to have that happen at all especially when there won't be a safety driver as a backup anymore.

I'm a little surprised a YouTuber hasn't done a "Coast to Coast FSD Trip" yet. Honestly if planned well, they probably could do it, at least from onramp to offramp. If the majority is on interstate FSD does a pretty good job of that right now...

I'm a little surprised a YouTuber hasn't done a "Coast to Coast FSD Trip" yet. Honestly if planned well, they probably could do it, at least from onramp to offramp. If the majority is on interstate FSD does a pretty good job of that right now...

I think the problem with the current FSD is: Too numerous disengagements to keep track of while the system is in charge comparing with GM Super Cruise system (the keyword here is while the system is in charge. GM Super Cruise would pass the buck off to human if it encounters pre-defined criteria such as construction zones, un-mapped areas...)

By the way, passing the buck is not a bad behavior but actually, that's in L3 also. A company with L3 can define that its system would drive the car up to 30 MPH on freeway (Audi Traffic Jam Pilot) and the driver can be off the hook for watching video or reading... When the predefined condition is no longer true such as the traffic flow would be more than 30MPH, Audi Traffic Jam Pilot would alert the driver to pass the buck to human.

Tesla owners have done coast-to-coast with Autopilot already, so that is not an issue. The issue is still the numerous disengagements while the system is driving.

Last edited:
I think the problem with the current FSD is: Too numerous disengagements to keep track of while the system is in charge comparing with GM cruise system (the keyword here is while the system is in charge. GM cruise would pass the buck off to human if it encounters pre-defined criteria such as construction zones, un-mapped areas...)

By the way, passing the buck is not a bad behavior but actually, that's in L3 also. A company with L3 can define that its system would drive the car up to 30 MPH on freeway (Audi Traffic Jam Pilot) and the driver can be off the hook for watching video or reading... When the predefined condition is no longer true such as the traffic flow would be more than 30MPH, Audi Traffic Jam Pilot would alert the driver to pass the buck to human.

Tesla owners have done coast-to-coast with Autopilot already, so that is not an issue. The issue is still the numerous disengagements while the system is driving.
Of course passing the buck in a handoff must be done with sufficient warning, I imagine they are talking 15 seconds to a minute at least. It can't just turn off.