Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performance Model- Looking for Insights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been neck deep in research and consideration for a new Model Y Perf. Could use the insights from this group in helping make a decision. This would be our first EV and primarily driven by my wife. She'd be leaving behind her trusted Honda Pilot. Performances owners, how has your experience been? Would you do it over again? Pros? Cons? Things I should look for and understand before ordering and buying one? Thankful to learn from ya all.

Not a MYP driver, but rather a MYLR. What's the push to go with the MYP coming from a Honda Pilot?
I believe a handful of MYP owners don't like the ride of the 21" Wheels/Tires combo, and seek out alternatives - wondering if that'll be a factor for you or your wife.
Also I thought I read somewhere the brakes aren't actually an upgraded caliper anymore.

I have a performance y. In my opinion, suspension is fine, much better than our 1/18 model 3 but not as good as our 6 year old x. Website state’s performance brakes although I rarely use anyway. The extra acceleration useful for getting up to speed on short on ramps. I like the look of the black 21 inch rims also. I would recommend you drive before you buy, some don’t like the stiff ride.

I test drove both repeatedly and liked the YP better because it was more snappy, more responsive around town. Also I liked the big wheels and spoiler. Having owned the car for over six months now, I wish I had gone with the LR.

The 21” wheels on the YP are really only cosmetic. And the costs to replace the 21” high performance tires are significant. I bought a 20” winter set too for MN. Now, wish I had gone with 19’s to save a few bucks.

I’m disappointed with the YP suspension set up and ride quality as well, which is no better and maybe worse than what you get in the LR.

Despite the power, the YP is no BMW X5M and we rightly find ourselves driving it pretty slow most days.

The LR offers a couple benefits :
1. Lower price
2. Better range
3. 19” wheels, so cheaper tires
4. cheaper operating costs overall, mostly by avoiding the giant wheels

Wife has a MYLR and loves it. It's about twice as fast as her KIA Sorento. I bought a M3P in 2018. Immediately got rid of the performance wheels and tires. Wheels = heavy and tires gave only about 1 1/4" from rim to concrete. Nor for me. With the change, immediate improvement in ride and range.
Several have ruined wheels/tires on normal potholes. If you do go with P I'd trade someone with a LR wheels and tires.
We've drive the wife's MYLR all over and just love it for long trips.

22 MYP here, pros : power/tech/lack of maintenance needed (so far) cons: none so far (some people have squeaks/rattles etc lucked out) suspension isnt really rough for me (previous cars bmws with 20inch rims and runflat tires).

I did switch from the 21s to aftermarket 20s on the MYP (ride might be slightly better but I did it to reduce weight) I love the instant power if they had an even faster model y (maybe a plaid in the future? I wouldve gone for that)

I have been neck deep in research and consideration for a new Model Y Perf. Could use the insights from this group in helping make a decision. This would be our first EV and primarily driven by my wife. She'd be leaving behind her trusted Honda Pilot. Performances owners, how has your experience been? Would you do it over again? Pros? Cons? Things I should look for and understand before ordering and buying one? Thankful to learn from ya all.

If you live in Pennsylvania and you get a MYP then you will want to get a second set of tires/wheels for the winter months. In addition, a gear-head car enthusiast swapped out the performance wheels for smaller ones on his M3P after hitting a pot hole.

IMO the MYLR is plenty fast enough and more practical for normal driving. I do most of my driving in chill mode which has a paltry 7.5 second 0 to 60. If it's not fast enough for you then you can add acceleration boost to cut 0.5 seconds off the 0 to 60 time.

Model 0 to 60 (seconds)
any Tesla in Chill Mode7.5
2021 Honda Pilot6.2
Model Y LR4.8
Model Y LR with Acceleration Boost4.3
Model Y Performance3.5

If at all possible, you two should go on a test drive to see what is best for you.

For wife. Go LR and save u a few buck. If she’s a slow driver.

for yourself and want to have some fun, go P! any day, anytime.

my first Y was a 2020 LR Y with AB (4.2). traded it in and got myself the 2022 MYP. Best decision ever. so much fun! i went with 19” tho, got the range of a LR and the comfort ride and cheaper tires. :)

yeah. go with LR. Less hassle. BUt you dont get performance package and matrix led lights. But light output is still fine on reflectors and its prob something the wife wont care about.
The biggest reason is the tires as well as the rim sizes for better ride comfort

If this is going to be your first EV, might as well go for the P and experience a Tesla for all it's glory. Do you need it? This is always a loaded question. Life shouldn't come down to needs alone. Other deciding points. Resale value will be higher with a P. I know of no one that sold the P for a LR but many sold LR for a P. The accelerator is not an on/off switch. It will go as slow as a LR when needed. I know it's easy for us to help spend your money but if you're going to put that much down on the table, might as well put a few more dollars to bring home the big prize.
Last point. You wife will have a bigger smile driving a performance over just a LR. Your call.

Model 0 to 60 (seconds)
any Tesla in Chill Mode7.5
2021 Honda Pilot6.2
Model Y LR4.8
Model Y LR with Acceleration Boost4.3
Model Y Performance3.5

If at all possible, you two should go on a test drive to see what is best for you.
This chart is inaccurate. The 0-60 times listed are not the same measurement for all models/trims. Tesla measures the 0-60 time for the Performance model subtracting rollout. i.e. the car is already moving when the measurement is started. The 0-60 time for all other models/trims is measured from a stop (truely 0). When the Performance model is measured used the 0-60 procedure used for the other models/trims, it's about 3.8 to 3.9. I say about because there is no official time from Tesla and this is what other's have achieved in instrumented testing. Still much quicker than LR with AB, but much less than Tesla's numbers lead you to believe if you don't notice the different test procedure. Tesla does indicate this difference in testing methodology right on the main tesla page showing specs, so they don't try to hide it.

We love our MYP. For the average person a LR is probably enough. BUT if you're an enthusiast and like to have some fun then I doubt you'd ever regret the MYP. My friend got a MY LR and regret not going P. Either way you can't go wrong. The ride (as least on the 23+ MYs with "comfort suspension") is just fine on the stock 21s IMO.
Thanks! I have driven both the P and the LR and didn't feel a tangible difference in ride quality. I don't know much about "comfort suspension" and if that is a setting on the Perf.?

The look of the Perf. is super sharp IMO with the 21s, calipers, and small carbon fiber fin.

I checked with a local tire store and to replace the tires on the Perf would be approx. $525 for the rears and $425 for fronts. So, $2k and Tesla shared that they have seen the Perf tires last anywhere from 15k to 25K before replacing. Not sure if that is accurate but simply what my local Tesla shop shared.

If someone orders the YLR in Black ($1500) and then adds the 20" black Induction Wheels (+$2,000) this brings the LR vehicle price to $53,990. The Y Perf. has a vehicle price of $54,490...a modest difference of $500. Not huge savings but at that point, I have been stuck on simply spending the $500 and getting the look, ride, and performance of the Performance.

If this is going to be your first EV, might as well go for the P and experience a Tesla for all it's glory. Do you need it? This is always a loaded question. Life shouldn't come down to needs alone. Other deciding points. Resale value will be higher with a P. I know of no one that sold the P for a LR but many sold LR for a P. The accelerator is not an on/off switch. It will go as slow as a LR when needed. I know it's easy for us to help spend your money but if you're going to put that much down on the table, might as well put a few more dollars to bring home the big prize.
Last point. You wife will have a bigger smile driving a performance over just a LR. Your call.
Great points. I am not always the most practical and do try to enjoy life and all its glories.

Reactions: Darmie
I think I read only 13% actually order the Performance Model. I guess that does make them a bit more exclusive with the little red line under the Dual Motor insignia and the carbon fiber rear spoiler.

Originally ordered the LR but switched to the Performance.

The P order was filled Much quicker . Now that the new 4D1 rear motors are in production many LRs get the lower performance rear motor. The Performance will get you a 3D1 or 4D1

The front calipers do have Brembo cast into them. Red does look nice.

I railed against the low profile tires/wheels in previous threads and will buy a set of 19 inch wheel tires for winter. That said the uber wheels are starting to grow on me and I actually Really like the staggered wheel tire size.

It does make the Car look meaner and when viewed from the rear, says Muscle car with the wide rear haunches

The performance will be built at Fremont unless something has changed.

I would be kicking myself today had I not bought the Performance ( but am addicted to acceleration) the Performance can almost always hold its own at a stop light if needed and makes for a very capable SUV

Last edited:
If someone orders the YLR in Black ($1500) and then adds the 20" black Induction Wheels (+$2,000) this brings the LR vehicle price to $53,990. The Y Perf. has a vehicle price of $54,490...a modest difference of $500. Not huge savings but at that point, I have been stuck on simply spending the $500 and getting the look, ride, and performance of the Performance.
I had to stay under $55K to get the Mass EV Rebate, so that forced me to go LR, because I wanted the tow package from the factory, and blue paint.

Instead I bought an aftermarket CF lip spoiler for like $175 and it looks great. Thinking about painting my calipers next, not sure what color yet.
Debadged the dual motor on the back anyways, so not missing the red line.

And don’t forget, order with a referral link, so that you and your friend get Tesla points, and you get some $ off your order.

Attachments

• IMG_8200.jpeg
    IMG_8200.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 162