Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performance Model- Looking for Insights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your wife will curb the rims 100%. It only took about a week for my rims to attempt to climb a concrete island. Almost all 21"s i see are curbed. I switched to a 18" Rim with Falken WildPeaks to solve this issue.

Also she always drives on chill mode and doesn't like it when I tell her that everyone is trying to race us. A MYLR would have been a better choice but this was supposed to be my car until her new Telluride was delayed one year.

Reactions: Rockstop
The rims are fine if you're careful, and I'm not sure if they're doing Matrix on the P anymore but I have it on mine and they're sweet.

The range is iffy, you only gain 20ish EPA Estimated which isn't much, and every time you see a MYP you'll wish you had that instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
My wife drives a 21 MYP exclusively and she loves it. She's repeatedly stated that this is the best car she's ever had. The 21 had a stiffer suspension than the new ones, and she has no problem with it, YMMV. We just finished a 3,000 mile trip from Denver to Oregon and back. The car performed fantastic, absolutely no complaints.

Reactions: 455dan
I Ordered a MYLR in January, IIRC they cut the price of the MYP a few days later and it qualified for the tax credit. At this time all we knew was the credit may change in March. I switched my order the MYP as delivery date was Feb-Mar and LR was Mar-April. I never drove the MYP at this time. I have 3 places to test drive near me, only one had the MYP in stock. Got a test drive apt 1.5 weeks later. It took me all of 20 seconds of driving it to know i was buying the P over the LR. I have no issues with the ride, but pull of the MYP when you punch it is thrilling. Its legit low end super car acceleration in a family suv. The tire price was a concern. I only drive about 6-8k miles a year, I figured in 3-4 years there will be more tire options and lower prices. There are tons and tons of Teslas in my area, Suburbs of NYC and I almost never see the MYP all are LR. The MYP IMO just looks way nicer with the 21's. I have white and changed the Logo on front back and wheels to match the red calipers an it looks sweet.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.PNG
    IMG_2286.PNG
    844 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2285.PNG
    IMG_2285.PNG
    833 KB · Views: 51
Oh, forgot curb rash, ouch
Been there done that
Right side only, back right the worst
About to install AlloyGators
Long term might switch to Magbak Rimcases, waiting for them to fix the apparent fly off issue

Please explain rhe left button for temp dropping out of chill mode (I have the speed pin protected, wont bypass that correct?)
Read through these release notes to get a better understanding 2023.12.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates <—- it’s the one about wheel scroll customization. 👍🏻

Reactions: kpanda17
I had to stay under $55K to get the Mass EV Rebate, so that forced me to go LR, because I wanted the tow package from the factory, and blue paint.

Instead I bought an aftermarket CF lip spoiler for like $175 and it looks great. Thinking about painting my calipers next, not sure what color yet.
Debadged the dual motor on the back anyways, so not missing the red line.

And don’t forget, order with a referral link, so that you and your friend get Tesla points, and you get some $ off your order.
Darn so if I order the performance Y I with tow package and its over 56k, then I can't get the rebate?

For Massachusetts, yes. Fed bumped up to 80K on SUVs/Trucks.
Looks like for Los Angeles or maybe California, it's up to 60K.
Do your homework on it though. I'm not 100% sure.

yeah. go with LR. Less hassle. BUt you dont get performance package and matrix led lights. But light output is still fine on reflectors and its prob something the wife wont care about.
The biggest reason is the tires as well as the rim sizes for better ride comfort
Fremont LRs come with matrix. Austin is the only gigafactory not pushing out matrix headlights at this time.

Re: brakes. Found an article that says:
  • All MYLR and MYP front calipers and rotors are identical save for the color
  • MYPs up to ~9/2022 have Brembo rear calipers and 22mm rotors
  • MYPs since ~9/2022 and MYLR rear calipers and rotors are identical save for a red cover on MYP
Can't vouch for the article's accuracy as both MYs in my fleet are LRs. Link: Model Y Performance no longer receives Brembo rear calipers - let's br

Thanks for the link.

Well I took the plunge with Discount tires TMC forum help and have a set of Enkie Victory 18 x 8" wheels on the way from them. For the moment also sourced a set of studded snows for winter from another vendor (DT didn't show any in stock) but I may get a set of summer tires that will fit the 18's as well when the tread gets low on the Ubertine 21's.

I will post up how the 18's and tires fit when everything gets here. and I have a chance to mount and balance with my equipment. Fingers crossed.