Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using GoodYear ElectricDrive GT for my 19 wheel after 43K miles on original Continental. The new tires feel smoother for sure. it's about the same in term of noise. Felt pretty good and sticky in the heavy rain, then again, they are new with full tread. However, efficiency has dropped maybe 10%. That's kind of a surprise since these are EV tires.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I put 2k on the DWS06+ and they are noisy on certain road surface types. I can imagine this worsening with age. I’ll try Michelin PSAS4 next time but saved about $400 going with the DWS so to me that was worth it. On super long drives, I’ll use AirPods to listen to music rather than car stereo. Seems to help mute most road noises.

I put 2k on the DWS06+ and they are noisy on certain road surface types. I can imagine this worsening with age. I’ll try Michelin PSAS4 next time but saved about $400 going with the DWS so to me that was worth it. On super long drives, I’ll use AirPods to listen to music rather than car stereo. Seems to help mute most road noises.
As a follow up, driving 85 mph with various breezes and cooler temperatures, I was averaging 420w/mile. At one point, into a 25 mph headwind, I was pushing into 800w/mile (equivalent to driving 110mph-ish).

E.g. Michelin has announced a new EV tire series called the Defender 2 (80k warranty!). I watched a presentation to Tesla owners and the Michelin people were quite enthused. Only those tires don't come in 255/45 yet.

They do have great tread life, but the Defender 2 is not an EV tire. Plus some of the reviews complain about a significant MPG hit with ICE vehicles.

I was going by the Michelin presentation and the web page:

MICHELIN® DEFENDER®2​

• Passenger Car
  • SUV Crossover
  • EV Compatible

I take "EV Compatible" to mean that you can physically fit the tires on an EV and drive the car around the block at least once without the tires self-destructing.

For the record, I put Defender T+H tires on my 2012 Honda Accord and drove 80,000 miles before trading the car for our Model Y. The tires still had decent tread.

Last edited:
At least two points were made: load index and their noise reduction via PIANO but no foam belt. I think they mentioned rolling resistance.

It would be great if they were low rolling resistance tires, but I don't think they are. I would actually prefer to not have a foam belt. It would be great to have low rolling resistance (efficiency) and 80,000 mile tread life.

Reactions: gt2690b
Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack. Replaced the OEM's with these soon after I bought my model Y. I have the OEM's in like new condition for sale. New that are $300 each, will sell the 4 for $400. I am in Tucson, AZ and will not want to ship but can deliver @ 100 miles from Tucson.

Using GoodYear ElectricDrive GT for my 19 wheel after 43K miles on original Continental. The new tires feel smoother for sure. it's about the same in term of noise. Felt pretty good and sticky in the heavy rain, then again, they are new with full tread. However, efficiency has dropped maybe 10%. That's kind of a surprise since these are EV tires.
from a review...i think efficiency is maybe not that great on these?

I got this tire because the OEM Continental had issues with wet handling and a tendency to hydroplane at fairly low speeds. These tires were designed to overcome that problem. My first impression after I had them installed was that the grip and road feel definitely felt much better. As I drove home it started to rain and there the improvement was extremely noticeable. Now part of that was my old tires had 3 to 4 mm tread left and these were brand new. But it did feel better than I remembered when the car was brand new. Now that I have driven a few thousand miles on them I can say they definitely grip much better than the OEM's they replace, especially when wet. So far I haven't encountered any noticeable snow.
Now for the cons:
Ride quality is the same or slightly worse. You can feel every bump and defect in the road. Doesn't jump or effect the grip, but you can feel them.
My energy usage has gone up. I used to average about 290 watts per mile, now I am averaging about 320 watts per mile. Some of that is new tires, but I have measured my indicated speed vs actual and it hasn't changed with the new tires. We will see as time goes by. I expect to get more wear out of these than the OEMs(~30000) so maybe the cost will average out.

from a review...i think efficiency is maybe not that great on these?

I got this tire because the OEM Continental had issues with wet handling and a tendency to hydroplane at fairly low speeds. These tires were designed to overcome that problem. My first impression after I had them installed was that the grip and road feel definitely felt much better. As I drove home it started to rain and there the improvement was extremely noticeable. Now part of that was my old tires had 3 to 4 mm tread left and these were brand new. But it did feel better than I remembered when the car was brand new. Now that I have driven a few thousand miles on them I can say they definitely grip much better than the OEM's they replace, especially when wet. So far I haven't encountered any noticeable snow.
Now for the cons:
Ride quality is the same or slightly worse. You can feel every bump and defect in the road. Doesn't jump or effect the grip, but you can feel them.
My energy usage has gone up. I used to average about 290 watts per mile, now I am averaging about 320 watts per mile. Some of that is new tires, but I have measured my indicated speed vs actual and it hasn't changed with the new tires. We will see as time goes by. I expect to get more wear out of these than the OEMs(~30000) so maybe the cost will average out.
Your experience duplicates the experience of other TMC members, posted in various threads, who have replaced the OEM ContiProContacts with Michelin, Pirelli, Vredestein, and Goodyear.