Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs Cyber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm puzzled by claims that the CT won't dent or scratch. Not only can stainless both dent and scratch, it's very hard to fix. Just ask anyone who owned a DeLorean, or a stainless steel kitchen appliance for that matter.

It should be much harder to dent because they moved the structural shell to the outside, so instead of thin sheet metal the outer layer is several millimeters thick.

Sure, it’ll scratch, when you scrape it against something harder than it is. There aren’t many of those, though. Diamonds and some ceramics, not things your average car encounters often.

I am also having a hard time deciding which one to get. I placed an order for a tri motor CT and love everything about it. The problem is I don’t think my current car will be able to make it until delivery date. I was one who waited until late April to put my order in and will be at the back of the line. Now if I need a stop gap do I put an order in for a Y or just wait it out and drive the wife’s car. Love the Y and am hoping they have the issues worked out but there are so many things I need to consider will be different as I have never owned an EV before. It makes it even harder that given the current virus situation my local Tesla center is closed. Drove by the other day to see if they had any model Ys in the lot and there were none. I’m thinking I just put an order in for the Y. I should get it in time and then when the CT is ready sell the wife’s car and give the Y to her. Decisions decisions

The DeLorean used 0.8mm thick stainless, Elon has said the CT will use full 3mm thick stainless, almost 4X thicker than the DeLorean skin. You may be able to scratch it, but denting it will be more difficult at 3mm thick. To visualize 3mm, stack a dime on top of a quarter..

I can't believe I'd be the only one cross shopping these, but I didn't see a thread for it.

Anyway, this has now become an unexpected decision point for my family. I was not expecting the pickup to be so darned practical, with the air suspension, awesome suspension travel, seating for 6 (ok, this was expected), ramp, so much secure storage, durability, massive towing, and craziest of all, its lower price than the Y.

Advantages for the Y: easier to park, dog in back is inside, comes ~18 months earlier... ?

I'd been planning on the Y as my next car since the idea of it really started to get traction back in 2017, but now I'm not so sure.

If there'll be an equivalent to the Stealth Performance 3 made for the Y this might get a little easier...

Anyone else feeling similarly? Other advantages/disadvantages?

We ordered both. After we get the Y, we'll probably decide whether or not we will proceed with Cyber. The Cybertruck has so many advantages but the disadvantages are the larger footprint so harder to fit in garages and to park....that's about it.

Can't believe only one cross shopping? I don't even see the need for the thread. Apples and oranges. I like both.
Of course, I am not poo-pooing on the thread. Its no different that hundreds of other even less necessary threads.
And I had two minutes between Man from High Castle episodes to write this post - hence the reason for my comment.
I agree. I haven’t bought a car since 2003. Ordered a CT last fall and a MY in March.