Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YATSS - Yet Another Tesla Service Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was reading the thread below about the 12V battery. Felt I had to share a somewhat similar story. Back story, I've worked on cars, electronics, machines and software all my life. 2016 P90DL purchased Aug 2019 from Westmont (terrible delivery) Also for the point of this story, I purchased and installed a set of TSportline 20" TSS with Continental DWS's about 2 months ago.

For the last couple of weeks the car has been making a rattle sound when going over decent bumps at low speed. Picture a driveway curb. I always take these slow and naturally with the 21's very slow. Concerned about the stories of the failing control arms I made an appointment for last week. Take it in and also ask them to check the alignment and run battery and drive diagnostics considering the huge swings I've been seeing in usage. Long story short, NOTHING was done except the alignment. Went and picked up the car, had meetings on the way home so did not pay much attention. Next day I'm out driving and notice car is pulling to the left and the steering wheel is just slightly canted left as well. Waited another day till I could drive during sunlight, same thing. Scheduled an appointment for this week.Take the car in first thing, and didn't hear anything all after afternoon. Finally messaged them as to progress and then get the invoice email. Verbatim from the invoice

"Performed alignment check and verified proper adjustment. Note customer has aftermarket wheels and tires with incorrect sizes for both."

I messaged them back specifically saying I was not going to agree to the service invoice until they removed that comment. A, it's complete BS, B it has nothing to do with the alignment.

Verbatim from the service text message

""He just did a printout to show you that everything is within specifications and in the green. The reason he noted the aftermarket wheels and tires is because that can cause the vehicle to pull because it is not the correct size for that vehicle. When there is aftermarket parts on the vehicle we have to document it, it is a Tesla policy. Tesla is extremely strict on any of our vehicles having aftermarket components so we have to document that your wheels and tires are aftermarket because you brought it in for an alignment concern."

So long story short, wheels and tires evidently must be purchased from Tesla otherwise your alignment will be off. I'm also guessing this will be used against me in the future. On a personal note, I knew better and should have put the stocks back on, but it was snowing both times I went in. Regarding the suspension noise, they claim they inspected and found no issue. Yet I'm still hearing it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R
It depends on the SC, but in my case they refused to do an alignment at all as I have aftermarket Brixton RF7 wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires with Unplugged Performance Coilovers. The alignment itself would not require touching either of these for adjustments as the adjustments are done on OEM parts. I left the SC kinda pissed myself but found a local shop that did it for me. Tesla is very strict about after market accessories and imo they are too extreme. I never had any issue with my Audi RS4 or R8 with after market items like this when I brought it in for service. At least with the mechanical suspension in the Model 3’s we can easily have it serviced at any competent shop. And with the history of issues with the Model S and X air suspensions I’m much happier having my coilovers anyway.

Many other cars have air suspension. Maybe Tesla SC isn’t the best place to go for these issues and you would get better results at a good independent shop?

All cars need tires, suspension repairs and alignment and an independent shop sees so many types of tires and wheels your aftermarket items won’t taint their diagnosis.

I was told by Tesla sales person back in December 2019 that I could put any compatible tires on that I wanted (didn't ask about wheels ...but I can't see how that could possibly make any difference as long as they are compatible).

Was reading the thread below about the 12V battery. Felt I had to share a somewhat similar story. Back story, I've worked on cars, electronics, machines and software all my life. 2016 P90DL purchased Aug 2019 from Westmont (terrible delivery) Also for the point of this story, I purchased and installed a set of TSportline 20" TSS with Continental DWS's about 2 months ago.

For the last couple of weeks the car has been making a rattle sound when going over decent bumps at low speed. Picture a driveway curb. I always take these slow and naturally with the 21's very slow. Concerned about the stories of the failing control arms I made an appointment for last week. Take it in and also ask them to check the alignment and run battery and drive diagnostics considering the huge swings I've been seeing in usage. Long story short, NOTHING was done except the alignment. Went and picked up the car, had meetings on the way home so did not pay much attention. Next day I'm out driving and notice car is pulling to the left and the steering wheel is just slightly canted left as well. Waited another day till I could drive during sunlight, same thing. Scheduled an appointment for this week.Take the car in first thing, and didn't hear anything all after afternoon. Finally messaged them as to progress and then get the invoice email. Verbatim from the invoice

"Performed alignment check and verified proper adjustment. Note customer has aftermarket wheels and tires with incorrect sizes for both."

I messaged them back specifically saying I was not going to agree to the service invoice until they removed that comment. A, it's complete BS, B it has nothing to do with the alignment.

Verbatim from the service text message

""He just did a printout to show you that everything is within specifications and in the green. The reason he noted the aftermarket wheels and tires is because that can cause the vehicle to pull because it is not the correct size for that vehicle. When there is aftermarket parts on the vehicle we have to document it, it is a Tesla policy. Tesla is extremely strict on any of our vehicles having aftermarket components so we have to document that your wheels and tires are aftermarket because you brought it in for an alignment concern."

So long story short, wheels and tires evidently must be purchased from Tesla otherwise your alignment will be off. I'm also guessing this will be used against me in the future. On a personal note, I knew better and should have put the stocks back on, but it was snowing both times I went in. Regarding the suspension noise, they claim they inspected and found no issue. Yet I'm still hearing it.

Audi has the same policy (as do probably many brands) You can use different tires that meet spec but not wheels with Audi, not sure with Tesla. People change their wheels Willy nilly and don’t think about the consequences. It will vary by service department and/or tech. All OEM on all cars for me. Not worth the possible grief. I’ve had ABS error codes on my Jeep and technician would not even look at them because I had an aftermarket trailer brake controller. Which has absolutely zero function to with the car and is only connected to the trailer wire harness.

Your post should be stickied.

Don’t try to apply logic. It does not work.

All right, so short of calling the service center an out right liar, they definitely did something while it was on the rack. The wheel tilt is now worse and the car pulls to the right slightly now. It takes much longer to happen, maybe a block or so, but it's a consistent, let go of the wheel and it will start going right.

IMG_2904.JPG

Re: previous posts, My thoughts exactly. Going to find a reputable local place that can do it. Obviously Tesla neither cares nor has the acumen to address what should be a very simple procedure. I can see the scenario where very bad wear or incorrect pressure in a tire would cause driving problems. A rim would need serious damage to cause enough drag to pull the car in one direction. Their excuse is simply that. The tires and rims are brand new. Less than a thousand miles on them. No curb or pothole hits. And apart from the huge amount of rear camber, they are wearing just fine.

LMFAO, cannot make this stuff up. A friend of mine took his 2016 90D back to Westmont today for the exact same thing. Car was pulling to one side, in addition he's got some grinding/ticking under acceleration. For alignment, they told him the same story I received. Tires are aftermarket and that's what's causing it. He's running the 19" OEM stock rims and OEM stock tires (Goodyear Eagle Touring SCT). Their (Westmont's) claim is that the tires weren't purchased from them so they're the problem.

They replaced front drive axles the first time he was in. Now they're saying it's normal, "Some parts may click", and are refusing to look into it any further.