Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YAUAT yet another usb audio thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've consistently experienced skipping or "Loading Error" problems with high bitrate FLACs. However, in my case every one of the problem FLACs was over 1000 kbps. I have had no problems with playing any in the 700-900 kbps range. But this is on a Model S, so maybe the Model 3 is devoting less CPU to the music player?
Glad to know I’m not the only one. This issue was driving me nuts, because I could only find discussion that made it seem like either the car plays it perfectly, or not at all. I did lots of troubleshooting to figure little it was the bitrate.

I got so frustrated that I asked my mobile tech when he came to fix my headlight. To his credit, he did a lot of research and escalated the issue for me. I wasn’t really expecting a resolution, and didn’t get one (he came back with the response from on high that “FLAC isn’t widely supported”).

I know it might seem weird to some, but FLAC playback was something I was really looking forward to, so it’s one of the biggest (maybe the only) disappointments I’ve had with the car. I spent a lot of time preparing my USB stick in anticipation of receiving the car, including cleaning up all my tags and ripping my favorite albums to FLAC.

Hopefully, version 9 addresses this issue. If not, I guess I’ll go back and try re-encoding my FLAC files with higher compression.

Here's what doesn't make sense to me about the high bitrate FLAC failures.... Wouldn't it be lower bitrates (more compressed files) that would need more CPU power to decode? If it's just an issue of the CPU not being able to keep up, you would expect high bitrate files to play just fine, and lower ones to cause crashes.

If you encoded these files, did you use the default settings? Particularly, did you use --lax in the official encoder (off by default)? FLAC defines a subset of the standard that makes hardware decoders and streaming easier... the --lax argument allows the encoder to make files that don't comply with this subset. I don't have my car yet, but I wonder if the Tesla player requires subset files.

If this is the problem, fixing it just requires throwing the files into foobar2000 or something and re-encoding them with less aggressive compression settings. -8 or --best should be safe.

If you encoded these files, did you use the default settings? Particularly, did you use --lax in the official encoder (off by default)? FLAC defines a subset of the standard that makes hardware decoders and streaming easier... the --lax argument allows the encoder to make files that don't comply with this subset. I don't have my car yet, but I wonder if the Tesla player requires subset files.

If this is the problem, fixing it just requires throwing the files into foobar2000 or something and re-encoding them with less aggressive compression settings. -8 or --best should be safe.
This was my first attempt at encoding FLAC, so I didn't really tweak anything. Some of the files I encoded in this manner play just fine, but they are quieter / less complex tracks that clock in around 400-600 kbps.