Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yearly brake service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see my post higher up. Brakes will continue to work without lubrication but less efficiently, as ICE cars. However, it is once you try to clean or replace them that you'll have trouble if you waited too late. Those pins holding the pads in the front will be a PITA to remove. You might bend them and need replacements.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I had MYLR brake service this past summer. I live in the high salt usage area. At that time there were 30k over 2 years. The mobile service tech removed the brake pads, scrubbed the rust off the calipers slides, lubed the pin and the tech mentioned that this was not bad and told me to just do this service every 2 years. About 40 mins total

For reference, I had to replace the rotors and pads on my Honda HRV after 40k miles because the pads were frozen (rust) to the calipers, had strange wear pattern on the rotors.

Reactions: DanDi58
I had MYLR brake service this past summer. I live in the high salt usage area. At that time there were 30k over 2 years. The mobile service tech removed the brake pads, scrubbed the rust off the calipers slides, lubed the pin and the tech mentioned that this was not bad and told me to just do this service every 2 years. About 40 mins total

For reference, I had to replace the rotors and pads on my Honda HRV after 40k miles because the pads were frozen (rust) to the calipers, had strange wear pattern on the rotors.
What did they charge you for brake service?

This should be helpful to most who are not familiar with brakes and required service required on ALL cars. Do you absolutely need to do this every year? No but chances are your brakes will not function as well as intended especially if you live in an area with winter and salted roads. As time goes by, brake function will deteriorate if nothing is done. By the way, the LRY has 4 piston calipers in front so only the pins to lube and the rear has a single piston where the sliders should to be lubed. Caliper Maintenance | MotorWeek

Reactions: Spinkick
FWIW - I asked the service tech who had just replaced both of my front wheel bearings on my 2020 MY LR at the SC in Montreal what he recommended for brake service/cleaning and he indicated it wasn’t necessary at all. The rear ones - that likely see more crud kicked up from the front tires- are pretty easy to clean- I do those once a year when I rotate tires anyhow. The front are harder and it isn’t clear to me what there is to get stuck on those.

Reactions: nate704
The two pins on both sides, that keep the pads in, since the fronts (at least on mine) are the slide-in pad type where you don't need to remove a part to remove the pads. These pins seem to very easily jam in there. They require hard hammering to get out. I've seen a few people bend the pins and need to replace them. I had to hammer mine so hard I was afraid to slip and break something else. This is true every year so I just can't imagine leaving them there for longer.

The two pins on both sides, that keep the pads in, since the fronts (at least on mine) are the slide-in pad type where you don't need to remove a part to remove the pads. These pins seem to very easily jam in there. They require hard hammering to get out. I've seen a few people bend the pins and need to replace them. I had to hammer mine so hard I was afraid to slip and break something else. This is true every year so I just can't imagine leaving them there for longer.
not sure about yours or others, but mine has two bolts instead of pins, so no hammering is needed. (22 MYP).

Reactions: JonB65 and GtiMart