Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It takes 2.5 hours and yes you can wait while they perform the procedure. I strongly suggest you book the first available appointment in the morning (8 am in my case). I had the treatment done at the Watertown service center in Massachusetts and the treatment went smoothly and successfully. My MCU now looks great. Only time will tell if this is a fix or a short term patch. On the negative side my IC also has the yellow banding though it's only visible when hit from behind or the side by direct sunlight so they saw and noted the problem but did not agree to replace the screen.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I rather wait there (Monday in Tilburg - The Netherlands) and get some work done on the notebook than return next day.
As I will be there early afternoon I assume it should fit.

>>If you are ordering a Model 3 then you'll be fine as the hardware is all different, but as far as the screen in the S & X goes we are seeing 2019 models suffering the same problems already so I'm not sure it is solved even if you order new today. One thing that is now very apparent is if the screens haven't changed then you will with 99% certainty run in to this problem at some point.
You are not going to find a definitive answer on the screen situation, Tesla sure won't tell you if you ask.
The excessive logging that is killing the MCU's, someone showed a tweet with Elon suggesting they have cut back how much is logged but who know what that really means as far as extending the life of the MCU.<<

I can't see myself buying an S - which costs upwards of AU$160,000 - with a known design defect like the yellow border, "cosmetic" or not. Talk about killing the goose!
The same goes for the MCU write cycle issue: someone, somewhere, has decided that the design relies on a single point-of-failure component that has a limited lifetime built in. All components will eventually fail, but not usually because of known and presumably low cycle usage.

I wait to be convinced.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I had the UV fix done today in Watertown MA. Seems to have worked well. They say it takes 2 hours hooked to the gizmo and some time before and after to hook it up and take it off. I had the screen (actually the whole mcu) replaced once before due to the yellowing two years ago, before they stopped replacing them. When it happened again I reported it and said I’d wait until they had a handle on fixing these. They mentioned that they are doing a lot of these treatments and that they need to have downtime between using the tool on different cars. When they don’t, they end up needing to repair the device.

>>If you are ordering a Model 3 then you'll be fine as the hardware is all different, but as far as the screen in the S & X goes we are seeing 2019 models suffering the same problems already so I'm not sure it is solved even if you order new today. One thing that is now very apparent is if the screens haven't changed then you will with 99% certainty run in to this problem at some point.
You are not going to find a definitive answer on the screen situation, Tesla sure won't tell you if you ask.
The excessive logging that is killing the MCU's, someone showed a tweet with Elon suggesting they have cut back how much is logged but who know what that really means as far as extending the life of the MCU.<<

I can't see myself buying an S - which costs upwards of AU$160,000 - with a known design defect like the yellow border, "cosmetic" or not. Talk about killing the goose!
The same goes for the MCU write cycle issue: someone, somewhere, has decided that the design relies on a single point-of-failure component that has a limited lifetime built in. All components will eventually fail, but not usually because of known and presumably low cycle usage.

I wait to be convinced.

There is a story that when early Ford cars were at the end of life and winding up in junk yards, Henry Ford would send engineers to those cars to see which parts had outlived the useful life of the car. The intent was not to improve the other components so they would last longer but rather to construct the surviving parts using cheaper materials so they too would only last as long as the other parts in the car.

The eMMC in the car should be engineered to last the expected life of the car. No more, no less. Prior to disabling the constant (and unused) logging, the chip was getting prematurely worn. Now that the logging has been reduced, perhaps the chip will last however long it needs to.

There is a story that when early Ford cars were at the end of life and winding up in junk yards, Henry Ford would send engineers to those cars to see which parts had outlived the useful life of the car. The intent was not to improve the other components so they would last longer but rather to construct the surviving parts using cheaper materials so they too would only last as long as the other parts in the car.

The eMMC in the car should be engineered to last the expected life of the car. No more, no less. Prior to disabling the constant (and unused) logging, the chip was getting prematurely worn. Now that the logging has been reduced, perhaps the chip will last however long it needs to.
The experts are saying the logging has not yet been reduced any...

So I had the mobile service unit out yesterday to repair a windshield washer issue (no fluid coming from the nozzles). It turned out to be a failed check valve, which according to the tech is fairly common in the S & X. They now just replace that with a tube (no valve) and its been working well in those cars.

So I asked the tech to look at my yellowing screen to see where I placed on the ‘severity scale’ relative to the others he’s seen. He said mine had the widest borders he’s yet seen. I’m so proud!

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
This has the typical hallmarks of an urban legend, which people repeat because it validates what they choose to believe.

I have a June 2018 Model S and noticed my MCU was getting the dreaded yellow band over the summer. First thought it was just the way the sun was hitting it, but as it got worse, I started looking into the issue and found this informative thread. I decided it was time to take care of it, so I scheduled an appointment at the Indianapolis SC for last Friday. Since everything was done via the app (no discussion with a live person), I was concerned I would show up and find out they don't actually have the UV tool. Well, after waiting a year for it, they got the tool about a week ago. They gave me a loaner car for the day and took care of it. Looks good as new. Hopefully the yellow won't return. All in all, the Indy SC is great to deal with.

I'm at Dedham in MA today and one of the items to be done was the UV fix in my X (just 10 months old). When I got here, they told me they don't have the equipment to do the UV fix! Had I known, I would have had my service done at Watertown. :(

I've had an appointment for a laundry list of things to be taken care of. They called me and asked if I could push out my appointment a week as they were expecting to get the UV kit to fix my yellow border. So I did. When I showed up and asked about it they said they didn't receive it yet. Excuse was that they were told and then things change. They had my car from last Thursday til today, left it plugged into the supercharger overnight (I didn't get charged idle fees as it was my first attempt but boy let me tell you if they tried to push that $180 idle fee charge they would for sure be sorry).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had the appointment scheduled this morning with Santa Clara SC. I got this message last evening.

"Michael here from Santa clara service center, isee that we have an appointment tomorrow to address the yellow border screen concern, sorry to inform you but our tool was damaged and we can not addressed your concern tomorrow. we will have to reschedule you out till next month hopefully we will have the tool fixed by then if the appointment does not work for you please feel free to edit the appointment from your mobile application. thanks have a great rest of the evening!"

A friend of mine had the appointment today as well, but he got a message last Saturday saying the tool is not available. SFO South bay SCs are total crap, they open their mouth only to tell lies.