Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke and FSD (Beta) don’t mix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a lot of debate threads over the Yoke and in general I prefer the Yoke. But I don’t recall a discussion of Yoke in the context of FSD (Beta). If there has been, mods feel free to merge this.

I recently started using the FSD (Beta) and found the Yoke does NOT play well with it all. I had not used FSD (Beta) since my former Raven X with a round wheel.

The conflict comes on sharp turns. When the car starts turning you basically need to let it fully control. You can’t leave your hands on the Yoke because it turns the wheel too fast, jerky and unpredictably.

But you want to be able to take control if it messes up. It’s really hard with this rectangle spinning around to regain control smoothly. It has a fair amount of force too.

If you try to keep your hand on the Yoke you’ll knock it out of FSD.

If we had a wheel you could let wheel slide between your fingers and just squeeze and turn if something goes wrong.

It’s kind of ironic that part of the argument for the Yoke was FSD. Maybe some day when it’s super smooth and predictable or good enough to not need your hands ready to take over. But in todays state of affairs they completely conflict.

I really like the Yoke. Only complaint has been the horn. But now it’s two major reasons I might just opt for switching to the wheel. I’m assuming it addresses the horn too.

screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.02.11-13_11_22.png

A further observation I have in the areas I've taken this thing all over the country is the wheel really only flails about like people were saying when it's under smart summon, few roads have it flipping from lock to lock
Never said to flipped lock to lock.

And in 4 years and 3 Teslas I’ve never used any form of Summon.

They talk about the Jerky wheel here. This was a few months ago. I have not driven V11 enough to know how much better the jerky wheel is.

I’ve seen many FSD videos where people take their hands off the wheel completely with (FSD beta city streets) because they know you can easily knock it out of AutoPilot if you try to keep them on. Yoke just makes it that much harder. They do exactly what I do.