Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke and FSD (Beta) don’t mix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a lot of debate threads over the Yoke and in general I prefer the Yoke. But I don’t recall a discussion of Yoke in the context of FSD (Beta). If there has been, mods feel free to merge this.

I recently started using the FSD (Beta) and found the Yoke does NOT play well with it all. I had not used FSD (Beta) since my former Raven X with a round wheel.

The conflict comes on sharp turns. When the car starts turning you basically need to let it fully control. You can’t leave your hands on the Yoke because it turns the wheel too fast, jerky and unpredictably.

But you want to be able to take control if it messes up. It’s really hard with this rectangle spinning around to regain control smoothly. It has a fair amount of force too.

If you try to keep your hand on the Yoke you’ll knock it out of FSD.

If we had a wheel you could let wheel slide between your fingers and just squeeze and turn if something goes wrong.

It’s kind of ironic that part of the argument for the Yoke was FSD. Maybe some day when it’s super smooth and predictable or good enough to not need your hands ready to take over. But in todays state of affairs they completely conflict.

I really like the Yoke. Only complaint has been the horn. But now it’s two major reasons I might just opt for switching to the wheel. I’m assuming it addresses the horn too.

screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.02.11-13_11_22.png

There have been a lot of debate threads over the Yoke and in general I prefer the Yoke. But I don’t recall a discussion of Yoke in the context of FSD (Beta). If there has been, mods feel free to merge this.

I recently started using the FSD (Beta) and found the Yoke does NOT play well with it all. I had not used FSD (Beta) since my former Raven X with a round wheel.

The conflict comes on sharp turns. When the car starts turning you basically need to let it fully control. You can’t leave your hands on the Yoke because it turns the wheel too fast, jerky and unpredictably.

But you want to be able to take control if it messes up. It’s really hard with this rectangle spinning around to regain control smoothly. It has a fair amount of force too.

If we had a wheel you could let wheel slide between your fingers and just squeeze and turn if something goes wrong.

It’s kind of ironic that part of the argument for the Yoke was FSD. Maybe some day when it’s super smooth and predictable or good enough to not need your hands ready to take over. But in todays state of affairs they completely conflict.

I really like the Yoke. Only complaint has been the horn. But now it’s two major reasons I might just opt for switching to the wheel. I’m assuming it addresses the horn too.
The wheel does not address the horn.

I've been running the beta and a yoke for 10s of thousands of miles and it works just fine even for takeovers, I've got it on standard though not performance or comfort
Guess you’re running different FSD beta than I am. It’s very awkward taking the Yoke over when it’s spinning and jerking around. This is only on SHARP turns. Like a stop sign and taking a right turn. You can’t keep your hand on the Yoke. Unless you have rubber arms. You can just let go, which is what I do. Buts It’s not easy to smoothly grab it fast while it’s literally spinning, sometimes back and forth when it crawls into traffic. Total joke.

Highway, which really doesn’t change with Beta, is absolutely fine.

I fought you’ve done 10s of thousands of miles of city street turns. Because they suck with any wheel but the Yoke makes it worse.

Reactions: Jabbahop
How do you interact with the yoke in a manual turn where you let the car straighten itself after the turn?
It’s a combination of letting it slide a little, letting it freeze little and moving my hands more. It’s generally slower, smoother and predictable. Something’s, FSD beta goes a little nuts with the wheel and it turns a lot very fast. You can’t keep your hands on the wheel, I mean Yoke, when it does that. It can also be jerky, back and forth, not always predictable. And if you do try to keep your hands on it, you’ll knock it out of AutoPilot. It doesn’t do it all the time.

I'm with @Kacey Green . I have over 15k miles on city/hwy in SoCal and been in FSD beta with a yoke for about 16 months -- so lots of traffic, turns, streets etc. For me it's kinda like breathing now - I don't have any problems with being totally connected with Contessa (my car) through every curve and turn. You're right - the classic sliding the wheel between the hands trick will not work. I think I mostly keep the heel of my right hand along the right side of the yoke, as if performing a low-key one-handed turn, and can easily apply a little pressure to adjust if needed without any large movements. I love the unobstructed view over the dashboard, and yes - I actually like stalkless turning signals. No interest in going back to a wheel (which always feels weird when I drive my spouse's car!).

Exactly like this, if I approach a turn I've never seen before or one where it only sometimes has trouble I keep my hand(s) where they'll interact with the wheel or I tap the brake if appropriate, if I get to a turn I know it almost never gets right I disengage first and give it one or two tries each update. I find that it can't move all that fast that I can't catch one of the sides in a position with control, again in standard mode. With the round wheel I started letting it run under my palm but I didn't like it when the flat bottom or the seams hit so I transitioned to my yoke technique, the hard part there was the two upper corners, but I just aim for the sides.

Reactions: zoomer0056

View attachment 906160
Acquaintance of mine has an X and S with yokes. They inquired. $700.00 to convert. YMMV. They don't care. They don't use/have FSD

Maybe there are techniques to allow one to use the yoke better in a FSD turn.

One idea is to use a finger or two in the notch on the top of the yoke to take over. I find I can do a whole turn this way, but I can't speak for how this would work for FSD.

Make your own opinions not influenced by those of others

On the other hand - "there is wisdom in many councilors". It's pretty smart to learn from the mistakes and successes of others. Not to the exclusion of thinking! But better to let others who've gone before help guide you.

end of philosophy 101

It can be both...

(just not sure the drama and hyperbole of most would be considered counselling)

Following this post, JUST finished modding a plaid yoke to fit my M3P, Now having second thoughts as I strictly use FSD.
I use FSD all the time with the yoke and it’s awesome. I was apprehensive about the yoke in the beginning. Now I feel if I was to change it out for a wheel, the car would lose some of its character. I also would prefer to have the center as the horn. The button is ridiculous