Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is 5-6 weeks old… yoke has been around since the refresh… thousands on the road. If this issue was really impacting most/all of the refresh 21/22 MS on the road this thread would have 250 pages… not just 2. I’m guessing bad batch, owner use, lotion or cleaners used. They’ll fix it under warranty… but still not convinced this is a big problem.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
FWIW, I have about 20k or so miles on my car and for me it is rubbing off at the top. I don't use lotion or chemicals on it. But I did snag it once on my wedding ring which caused a blemish, I think that was the catalyst for one side going. Both sides have damage though.

My 21 LR S has < 6,000 miles, I've never put lotion on my hands - my yoke looks just like Ed Harts in post 17, I have an appointment for them to replace it under warranty- I had hoped they just had a bad batch, but since I've seen so many of them, I think it's a design defect. However, the cause is likely when you get in and out of the car, your thigh (actually your jeans?) rub the yoke right there- and it takes very little rubbing to wear through. I think it would be great to go back to a more durable material such as leather, but the Peta people would have a fit, which is how we got to the synthetic seats (and subsequently the synthetic yoke material) in the first place. many years ago, there was someone that stood up at the shareholders meeting and basically badgered Elon about the use of leather. He caved and this is the result. They took quite a while to make the steering wheels out of materials other than leather, because of durability issues, They switched to synthetics on the 3 a while back, But I only read about the Yokes having this peeling issue. I hope they find a reasonable fix even if they do have to return to leather. but I'm not holding my breath.
After reading so much about the peeling, I applied Vinyl Cleaner Protector on the yoke. No sure if it will help. My concern is the top left portion of the yoke which I tend to thumb it when I am making a turn. That is to prevent you hand slipping off the yoke when turning.

My 1-year old Model S Plaid has the exact same problem - exact same spot on the yolk (lower left). Mobile service is coming. Picture attached. It is a very wierd place, as that is not a place I normally hold the wheel.
No, it's a perfectly normal place for it to wear. You slide past it every time you get in and out, likely with significant pressure from your legs, hence the wear spot.

Consider rotating it to the upside down position when parking as it provides far more room for your legs, and it exposes the bottom of the sun so the top of the yoke should last much longer.

It's not about the mileage on the yoke, but the number of times you get in and out of the car . . . .

NOW....we know why quality steering wheels are leather. Here is my yoke after 10,000 miles. I hope Tesla switches to leather.....soon!View attachment 864237
Ah, no, sorry, but the material isn't the problem. It's you.

ANY and ALL materials will wear, ESPECIALLY ON A CORNER (since it's a yoke, not a wheel;-), if you drag across it every time you get in and out of the car. And you are . . . .

It's not rocket science--just turn the wheel upside down when you park and your problem goes away.

Also, a complete NO GO on leather. Did you miss the memo? Don't raise them, murder them, or wear them. See:

My 21 LR S has < 6,000 miles, I've never put lotion on my hands - my yoke looks just like Ed Harts in post 17, I have an appointment for them to replace it under warranty- I had hoped they just had a bad batch, but since I've seen so many of them, I think it's a design defect. However, the cause is likely when you get in and out of the car, your thigh (actually your jeans?) rub the yoke right there- and it takes very little rubbing to wear through. I think it would be great to go back to a more durable material such as leather, but the Peta people would have a fit, which is how we got to the synthetic seats (and subsequently the synthetic yoke material) in the first place. many years ago, there was someone that stood up at the shareholders meeting and basically badgered Elon about the use of leather. He caved and this is the result. They took quite a while to make the steering wheels out of materials other than leather, because of durability issues, They switched to synthetics on the 3 a while back, But I only read about the Yokes having this peeling issue. I hope they find a reasonable fix even if they do have to return to leather. but I'm not holding my breath.
No, there were at least three people that shared the facts about how Tesla using leather in their cars was working in 100% the wrong direction of Tesla's mission.

Perhaps if you were better informed you too would know this. Great places to begin are here:

Where you'll learn what the UN FAO knew in 2006 (and what Elon and the Tesla BoD learned in 2015 or so):

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Lastly, it is NOT a material issue as I have seen plenty of worn out, ratty looking, leather steering wheels after only a year's use.

This is a wear issue cause by a square "steering wheel" (with a "corner") and people that don't notice that every time they get in and out, they're dragging across the corner of the yoke . . . . Not rocket science folks.

Solution: turn it upside down when parking.

About the only positive attribute of the Yoke from Hell is that at least it's out of the way when it's upside down . . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: VT_EE
IMG_0637.jpg

Mine is hella jacked too (June '21 MS). Started right from the beginning when I snagged it on the clip to the pocket knife I wear in my right pocket. Thought it was all my fault until it just kept getting worse and worse on other parts of the material. My service advisor just let me know that apparently there is a service bulletin regarding the yoke material and Tesla will replace them under warranty. Get yours I just schedule the replacement of mine!

Does anyone yet have the center horn functionality in newly delivered or replacement yokes?

View attachment 866194

Mine is hella jacked too (June '21 MS). Started right from the beginning when I snagged it on the clip to the pocket knife I wear in my right pocket. Thought it was all my fault until it just kept getting worse and worse on other parts of the material. My service advisor just let me know that apparently there is a service bulletin regarding the yoke material and Tesla will replace them under warranty. Get yours I just schedule the replacement of mine!

Does anyone yet have the center horn functionality in newly delivered or replacement yokes?
Yes, your new one will be damaged just like your old one, unless you get in the habit of turning it upside down when you park.

Your dragging past that corner every time you get in and out . . . and it's not a circle--it's got corners and those will be wear points.

View attachment 866194

1) Further evidence that the yoke (and indeed all the new controls) are not only ergonomically stupid, they’re also complete garbage, unbefitting any new car, let alone one that now costs more than $100,000.

2) There is no center horn function. Elon lies constantly—it’s one of his defining traits.

I like the horn button… also like the yoke, turn signal buttons, and all the other yoke switches. I was skeptical going from the stalks to the yoke setup like many… change is hard. I’m glad Tesla took the plunge and continue the quest for minimalist interiors and innovation.

Those unlucky ones who have cosmetic issues… Put in a service order every time something isn’t to your liking… yoke peels then keep having them replace it… that’s what a warranty is for.

Not sure why those who constantly bash Tesla for fit/finish don’t sell their Teslas ASAP… many other EVs to choose from these days when you have a 100-130K budget. Life’s too short to be forced to drive a $100+ Tesla that you can’t stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beasts and vcor
I like the horn button… also like the yoke, turn signal buttons, and all the other yoke switches. I was skeptical going from the stalks to the yoke setup like many… change is hard. I’m glad Tesla took the plunge and continue the quest for minimalist interiors and innovation.

Those unlucky ones who have cosmetic issues… Put in a service order every time something isn’t to your liking… yoke peels then keep having them replace it… that’s what a warranty is for.

Not sure why those who constantly bash Tesla for fit/finish don’t sell their Teslas ASAP… many other EVs to choose from these days when you have a 100-130K budget. Life’s too short to be forced to drive a $100+ Tesla that you can’t stand.
There are a long list of reasons that someone would want to remain with Tesla, and not some other EV brand.

The kicker is that for such an incredibly smart company, they certainly do a lot of awfully stupid things (yoke, yoke horn, customer service fiascos out the wazoo, etc.).

I'm sure most of wish that Elon would just fix the dumb sugar . . . .

There are a long list of reasons that someone would want to remain with Tesla, and not some other EV brand.

The kicker is that for such an incredibly smart company, they certainly do a lot of awfully stupid things (yoke, yoke horn, customer service fiascos out the wazoo, etc.).

I'm sure most of wish that Elon would just fix the dumb sugar . . . .

agree 100.

Do we have a count on how many people have had their yoke replaced?
I know right?! My 2015 Model S has 157,171 miles on it—the leather-wrapped steering wheel still looks brand new. (Also I can hit the horn at any steering angle, and flick between forward and reverse in meer milliseconds without so much as a downward glance, but sure…the new controls are great.)

Reactions: calm-one