Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
stitchs look horrible, like frankenstein .. should do press fit like oem

Thanks for your feedback. The looks can be subjective, some prefer stitching, and some don’t. Also, most the stitching is behind the yoke, which the driver will only see a small part of it.

Regarding the press fit, Tesla uses vinyl which is more elastic and press friendly. However, it can’t be as thick like the real leather, which equal to less durable and that’s what this thread is about. The shape of the yoke is just not favorable for real leather to stretch and press on without distributing the tension with stitching.

We certainly can’t make everyone satisfied with the looks, but we can make sure the new yoke will be much more durable and with better feels.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. The looks can be subjective, some prefer stitching, and some don’t. Also, most the stitching is behind the yoke, which the driver will only see a small part of it.

Regarding the press fit, Tesla uses vinyl which is more elastic and press friendly. However, it can’t be as thick like the real leather, which equal to less durable and that’s what this thread is about. The shape of the yoke is just not favorable for real leather to stretch and press on without distributing the tension with stitching.

We certainly can’t make everyone satisfied with the looks, but we can make sure the new yoke will be much more durable and with better feels.
I am interested. I sent you a message. Thanks.

Material is peeling off the yoke. my plaid is less than one year old with 10,000 km on it is this a warranty problem. Thanks for any advise.
My 2021 TESLA model X 3500 miles, the yoke steering wheel has started peeling
I have an appointment to take in in the he Tesla Service 2/8/22
I hope the new yoke steering wheel will replaced with one that will last longer

Attachments

• 54AE4E93-9F28-413E-9B6E-799A2A42A728.jpeg
    54AE4E93-9F28-413E-9B6E-799A2A42A728.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 168
Before putting the car in park, I turn the wheel slight to the right so I have plenty of room to get in and out without hitting the steering wheel. Problem solved.
Except when the yoke peels at the top, which on mine has only ever touched my hands (never gloves). The picture doesn't show it, but it actually peeled at both tops. I got it replaced under warranty. The new yoke's airbag cover has a little give, unlike the old one. I'm hopeful it'll support the horn one of these days.

Attachments

• 2023-01-06 15.58.08-crop.jpg
    2023-01-06 15.58.08-crop.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: zoomer0056
Except when the yoke peels at the top, which on mine has only ever touched my hands (never gloves). The picture doesn't show it, but it actually peeled at both tops. I got it replaced under warranty. The new yoke's airbag cover has a little give, unlike the old one. I'm hopeful it'll support the horn one of these days.

Do any of the drivers in your family use hand creams? Hand creams and hair products seem to weaken the petroleum based material Tesla uses for their seats and steering wheels. We haven't any problems with our steering wheels because no one uses hand creams. And a lot of M3 owner have the headrests bubbling from whatever they put in their hair.

Last edited:
Do any of the drivers in your family use hand creams? Hand creams and hair products seem to weaken the petroleum based material Tesla uses for their seats and steering wheels. We haven't any problems with our steering wheels because no one uses hand creams. And a lot of M3 owner have the headrests bubbling from whatever they put in their hair.
That's absolutely a concern. But I'm the only driver and I never use any product on my hands (probably should though!). I suspect it's from the pressure of resting one's hands around the top of the yoke. Maybe it pulls on the vinyl downward and eventually breaks on top? Just a theory, but my best one so far. I just hope the new yoke was made more sturdy.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
The ONE benefit to the yoke is that if you turn it upside down when you park, you won't drag across it when you get in and out of your car.

This would likely eliminate 99% of the cover failures noted here . . . .

IDK...it seems like the material is very thin and is stretched even thinner in the corners.

I'd be up for an.aftermarket non vegan leather wrap, as opposed to waiting for Tesla to come out with an improved cover.

IDK...it seems like the material is very thin and is stretched even thinner in the corners.

I'd be up for an.aftermarket non vegan leather wrap, as opposed to waiting for Tesla to come out with an improved cover.

There is a vendor on here advertising exactly that.

Sadly, many are completely unaware that using the skins of animals creates more GHG's than all transport combined; best to stay with non-animal sourced materials:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

If Tesla just picked a vegan material that was too thin, they'll fix it. (But they should have realized that a small radius corner on an almost square yoke would be a VERY high wear point, esp when so few spin it upside down when parking.)

Sadly, many are completely unaware that using the skins of animals creates more GHG's than all transport combined; best to stay with non-animal sourced materials:

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

If Tesla just picked a vegan material that was too thin, they'll fix it. (But they should have realized that a small radius corner on an almost square yoke would be a VERY high wear point, esp when so few spin it upside down when parking.)

Is your diet mainly consist of insects, or you just parrot leftist talking points?

Is your diet mainly consist of insects, or you just parrot leftist talking points?

I'm aware of the downsides of using animal products, and have reduced my consumption significantly.

However, about 18k cows in TX no longer have need for their hide, so now is a good time to upgrade.

BTW, plastics, esp Vinyl, ie PVC, have downsides too.

If I make myself happier, maybe a long time before I buy another car full of plastic. Last new car before my current MS is 28 years young.