Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke to Wheel Retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone who has taken delivery of a Plaid Model S inquired to their service center whether a retrofit to a normal steering wheel (as was seen in those hidden images on the website months prior) is available? Still without stalks, just a full wheel. We also saw some prototype cars with this design. I'm sure a lot of owners would appreciate the option to go back to a more standard wheel.

If not, I'm sure third party sources will make full wheels and/or attachments!

The round steering wheel has completely different buttons on it, doesn't it? -- No turn signal buttons, for instance. I don't think you can just change the steering wheel. Tesla would need to build a new round steering wheel for the Plaid, which they may, eventually.

The round steering wheel has completely different buttons on it, doesn't it? -- No turn signal buttons, for instance. I don't think you can just change the steering wheel. Tesla would need to build a new round steering wheel for the Plaid, which they may, eventually.
I dunno. Buttons are pretty simple devices, and there's nothing on the Plaid wheel which doesn't map in a straightforward way to a control on either the wheel or stalks of existing Teslas. My guess is multiple folks are working on an aftermarket product right now. Surely won't be cheap, but it seems very doable to me.

I dunno. Buttons are pretty simple devices, and there's nothing on the Plaid wheel which doesn't map in a straightforward way to a control on either the wheel or stalks of existing Teslas. My guess is multiple folks are working on an aftermarket product right now. Surely won't be cheap, but it seems very doable to me.
I don't think so. My point was the there are new buttons, like turn signals, on the new steering wheel that do not exist on exiting Teslas. These are new wires and new physical switches. This means you cannot just put on an existing round Tesla steering wheel -- you won't have turn signals. Aftermarket will probably jump in.

I don't think so. My point was the there are new buttons, like turn signals, on the new steering wheel that do not exist on exiting Teslas. These are new wires and new physical switches. This means you cannot just put on an existing round Tesla steering wheel -- you won't have turn signals. Aftermarket will probably jump in.
Sorry, I should have clarified. You are right, there are new buttons on the yoke that are not on the previous S/X steering wheels. If Tesla were to provide a retrofit option they would have to manufacture a full steering wheel with the same buttons as on the yoke. However, on some prototype Plaids we have seen a full steering wheel with the yoke buttons! For a short while Tesla also actually had an image on their website hidden within the code of the refreshed interiors with a full wheel:
Tesla-Model-S-round-steering-wheel-01.jpg

And here is a leaked video of a prototype Plaid Model S with the full steering wheel:

You can tell that those two sources are the new wheel/yoke design since they do not have the Tesla "T" emblem, but the word mark. However, to my knowledge we have not seen someone take delivery with a full wheel, just the yokes so far. I think it would be worth it for someone who has taken delivery to reach out to the service center via the Tesla app to ask if a future retrofit is possible!

Has anyone who has taken delivery of a Plaid Model S inquired to their service center whether a retrofit to a normal steering wheel (as was seen in those hidden images on the website months prior) is available? Still without stalks, just a full wheel. We also saw some prototype cars with this design. I'm sure a lot of owners would appreciate the option to go back to a more standard wheel.

I have a feeling some sort of yoke attachment will be available in the coming months. Probably in the aftermarket, fingers crossed.

Reactions: JoJoV111
Easiest aftermarket solution is to add a top part to the yoke. That way you don't have to mess with anything. I'm sure we'll see that very soon.
I'm crafty with 3d printing, but that will be a hack. Were you ever so angry that you needed to whack a steering wheel to blow off steam? That's the end of the top attachment. A more sound solution would be a model 3 wheel shell, or old S wheel shell, with new plastic/carbon fiber facia to carry over the controls from the yoke. Best solution would be the whole brand new wheel with tactile buttons, but I bet the yoke has microcontrollers in it that would make it difficult/impossible to fake a yoke. For what it's worth, Plaid just became the fastest car to ascend mount Washington. It did it with a gutless model 3 wheel (no buttons work when model 3 wheel connected. It just physically fits).

So, a ripe opportunity for the aftermarket solution. Hope @Tsportline listens!

I have seen one after market version. It’s extremely expensive and they did not even make it round. Come on people let’s not fix things that are perfectly functional. What happens when Elon musk decides that round tires a boring too. I think we’re in for a hell of a rough ride!

Reactions: Drew-MS
Someone is selling a conversion kit:

Tesla Plaid Circular Steering Wheel Conversion

Reactions: Drew-MS