Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla does not offer Yoke Steering retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering getting the steering wheel replaced with the yoke on my new Model S in a few months. Glad to see I am not the only one!

I tried the yoke on a demo Model S and liked it very much (to my surprise actually). It felt very comfortable for both manual driving and while on Autopilot. But they didn't have it in the local inventory, so I accepted the steering wheel and got a very good inventory discount, so no complaints.

I am told the price is around $1,300 including labor and tax. Also, the Service Center rep mentioned they expect a new version of the yoke (with better materials) around November. So I am going to wait a few months to see what they come up with.

Just to round this out...I did purchase the Secret EV Yoke for $1,200. We have been hearing for a while now that Tesla will have a new version of the yoke (better materials) for months. (Used to be by July, then by Sept, and now by Nov?).

Pros of doing what I did: Slightly cheaper, can customize it (mine is black with white stitching), you can do it now.
Cons of doing what I did: You need to install it yourself, the "steering wheel graphics" on various display screens still show a steering wheel.

If you go the Secret EV route...you can take a few hundred off of the price if you return your current steering wheel and airbag to them. I have elected to keep mine in case I ever want to switch back, or when it comes time to sell it if the wheel makes it easier to sell.
Wheel.jpg

Reactions: DriveMe
I am considering getting the steering wheel replaced with the yoke on my new Model S in a few months. Glad to see I am not the only one!

I tried the yoke on a demo Model S and liked it very much (to my surprise actually). It felt very comfortable for both manual driving and while on Autopilot. But they didn't have it in the local inventory, so I accepted the steering wheel and got a very good inventory discount, so no complaints.

I am told the price is around $1,300 including labor and tax. Also, the Service Center rep mentioned they expect a new version of the yoke (with better materials) around November. So I am going to wait a few months to see what they come up with.
How about trade you my mint condition yoke and you trade me your steering wheel. Straight up swap. No dollars.

How about trade you my mint condition yoke and you trade me your steering wheel. Straight up swap. No dollars.
Thanks for the offer, but I want to wait for the v2 yoke and to let Tesla install it, so it would be properly configured (for both the UI and the air bag) and supported by the warranty. I’d rather pay the full price than worry about the airbag working properly. I would also prefer keeping the steering wheel just in case I change my mind down the road, or to simplify the resale.

Sorry! :)

Reactions: snorlax and KyleDay
You can do a software reload from the Service menu to get the airbags swapped, but you need the Tesla computer to change a setting to tell the car it has the other wheel. That change will make all the icons switch on both dash screens and the mobile app. Now whether or not making that configuration switch has any other affect, I have not seen any evidence of that.

So in summary, it appears a DIY job, except changing the graphics, which is not that big a deal in my mind to have the wrong graphics.

Now finding someone to trade a wheel for their yoke would be Taylor Swift's inbox on the first day if she joined Match.com. 🤣
Had my yoke swapped for a steering wheel and all the icons still show the yoke. Mildly annoying. lol. Shouldn’t Tesla have made the change to update the icons etc?

Takes time and potentially a user reboot. How long has it been?
I think this takes a special action by the service team to replace. If I recall, the haptic buttons need a "reinstall" (or regular upgrade) before they work correctly, but I don't think the icons change...and I have not discovered any end-user action that can be taken to update them.

I'm in the opposite boat: I've had a wheel replaced with a third party yoke...a few months ago...several software updates later the icons are still wheel.

Is this an official service offered by Tesla? Only see the Yoke -> Steering wheel retrofit option.

Based on my demo drive I would prefer the yoke, but given the $250 (at the time) would place it above the IRA $7500 credit threshold, couldn’t justify essentially paying $7750 for it 😂

• Funny
Reactions: explosive0
I think this takes a special action by the service team to replace. If I recall, the haptic buttons need a "reinstall" (or regular upgrade) before they work correctly, but I don't think the icons change...and I have not discovered any end-user action that can be taken to update them.

I'm in the opposite boat: I've had a wheel replaced with a third party yoke...a few months ago...several software updates later the icons are still wheel.

Yes, I was thinking the poster had the service done by Tesla. It still takes time to take effect even when a Tesla tech does the reprogramming.

They closed some of my requests as resolved that they didn’t even work on. They were more concerned about closing it and having me return the loaner than fixing all my actual issues.

Tesla is trailblazer that is blazing a entirely new trail in the worst possible customer service the world has ever seen. I will be selling my Model S soon based on my experiences. I can tell you as a Tesla owner for almost 5 years that it will only get much worse for you and everyone else. There’s nothing getting better about their service.

Tesla is trailblazer that is blazing a entirely new trail in the worst possible customer service the world has ever seen. I will be selling my Model S soon based on my experiences. I can tell you as a Tesla owner for almost 5 years that it will only get much worse for you and everyone else. There’s nothing getting better about their service.
Curious what you're getting next.