Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can now unplug the charger while the car is locked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got the MY a few weeks ago, I had to first wake the car up by pressing the door handle slightly before I can unplug the charger. Now I can just press the button on the charger and it'll wake the car up and let me unplug! Anyone else noticed this?

When I first got the MY a few weeks ago, I had to first wake the car up by pressing the door handle slightly before I can unplug the charger. Now I can just press the button on the charger and it'll wake the car up and let me unplug! Anyone else noticed this?

The car is supposed to unlock as you approach with your bluetooth device or key fob, therefore normal. Having to pull the handle first is supposed to be the exception.

Reactions: Pilot1226
The car is supposed to unlock as you approach with your bluetooth device or key fob, therefore normal. Having to pull the handle first is supposed to be the exception.
Maybe the Y is different than the 3, and hopefully when mine arrives I can tell for sure, but my 3 used to act that way until a few updates ago, now I have to wake the car to unplug it or plug it in.

Mine seems to still make me wake the car before pulling the cable. Can be standing right next to it with my phone but can't unplug it.
And that's my problem exactly. I certainly can understand it not releasing unless it senses my phone, for obvious reasons, but if I'm right there with my phone the damn thing should sense the phone and permit me to both open/unlock the port and/or release the plug.

This has been kind of a hit-or-miss thing with the Model 3 for months. Pressing the button on the charge cable is supposed to wake up the car, but that part doesn't always work. Once the car is awake, it is supposed to check for a key (or authorized phone) in close proximity If detected, it should unlock the cable. If not, the cable should stay locked to the car.

Some software versions and some phones will be more successful with this sequence of events than others. For instance, my Model 3 will usually not wake up and unlock the charge cable from a button press. BUT, if I wave my phone around beside the car, it will work. No unlocking the phone or app starting, simply a wave seems to get the bluetooth to link up. Its just one of those things that isn't 100% reliable without a dedicated key fob.

My experience (I just tried this on my Model 3) is that if the car is in deep sleep, pushing the button on the cable won't do anything at all. If it's working for you, then likely the car is not in its most deepest sleep state. I'm in the habit of slightly depressing the rear door handle to wake the car. At that point, if I have my phone, I can remove the cable with the button press.

FWIW I'm on the latest firmware and have HW3. The behavior has been the same (inconsistent dependent on sleep state, not firmware version) since I've owned the car in early 2018.

And that's my problem exactly. I certainly can understand it not releasing unless it senses my phone, for obvious reasons, but if I'm right there with my phone the damn thing should sense the phone and permit me to both open/unlock the port and/or release the plug.

Problem is the car goes to sleep and it doesn't detect the phone most of the time, usually trying to open a door wakes the car but if you go to the charger first in the morning you end up having to take your phone out and wake the car. Guess it's a trade off of phantom drain with the car staying in standby mode and ready to detect you. Or sleeping and saving battery power.

Reactions: israndy
Problem is the car goes to sleep and it doesn't detect the phone most of the time, usually trying to open a door wakes the car but if you go to the charger first in the morning you end up having to take your phone out and wake the car. Guess it's a trade off of phantom drain with the car staying in standby mode and ready to detect you. Or sleeping and saving battery power.

Yea that makes sense when you dont have your car plugged in, but if its plugged in phantom drain does not matter so for convenience it should always be able to detect you and a push of the charger button should unlock the port.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Yea that makes sense when you dont have your car plugged in, but if its plugged in phantom drain does not matter so for convenience it should always be able to detect you and a push of the charger button should unlock the port.

Yeah, fair enough.. although maybe they are just concerned about energy loss in general. Using up a few kW over night every night adds up.. if you think about it, if your car doesn't sleep 90% of the time it's not driving, the energy usage and total wh/m goes way up, like over 400.. then it becomes less efficient then a gas car.

Yeah, fair enough.. although maybe they are just concerned about energy loss in general. Using up a few kW over night every night adds up.. if you think about it, if your car doesn't sleep 90% of the time it's not driving, the energy usage and total wh/m goes way up, like over 400.. then it becomes less efficient then a gas car.

Yea tesla definitely has a way to go with figuring out a low power state. There is no reason why the car cant be in a low power state where the bluetooth/wifi is on and consume max 10-20 watts.

I experienced the same issue with the older sw version - having to press the handle in to wake the car to unplug the charger.

With the latest software update, I don't have to do that anymore. That said, I think every time I've tried to unplug I've had my phone on me - I'll try again without my phone to see if it lets me unplug it.

I also read in the manual (while the sw update was happening, so never tried it) that you have to hold down the button on the plug to unlock it. I never tried that with the old sw version, but the manual seems to indicate it should have worked.

Yea tesla definitely has a way to go with figuring out a low power state. There is no reason why the car cant be in a low power state where the bluetooth/wifi is on and consume max 10-20 watts.

You aren’t going to defy entropy, fellas. Everything in the universe has a decay associated with it. The only thing we don’t do is keep Sentry enabled while at home... 400 Wh/mi is a LONG way off... and it’s not cool in TX anymore. So, IMO, Tesla has done just fine on the drain vs features front. You just have to make some choices.
2C05E85D-E879-49F8-AEE4-5834B226A702.png

ß

You aren’t going to defy entropy, fellas. Everything in the universe has a decay associated with it. The only thing we don’t do is keep Sentry enabled while at home... 400 Wh/mi is a LONG way off... and it’s not cool in TX anymore. So, IMO, Tesla has done just fine on the drain vs features front. You just have to make some choices.
View attachment 541739

ß

Not really...they got a long way to go. The amount that teslas drain has nothing to do with parasitic battery drain, its orders of magnitude greater. They keep way more electronics powered on during sleep mode than they need.

Taycan battery drain after 22 days parked

I wonder how much of the sleep drain on the Tesla is for battery protection though. Bjorn quickly mentioned he maybe was thinking Porsche was disabling BMS in it's deep sleep. If that's the case does that mean nothing is paying attention to the battery while it is in deep sleep? I personally would rather my battery stay healthy and lose 10% charge over 22 days vs have the battery cook itself or freeze to death and only lose 1% charge over 22 days.

That being said, I'm sure there is definitely room for improvement to what is running/the power draw in deep sleep. Everything can always be improved. I just think we don't know enough about the Taycans deep sleep to tell what exactly the are sacrificing to get to that level of power savings.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce

10 - 20 watts? You are being very generous. My cell phone keeps on the cell network, wifi network, Bluetooth connection, checks mail regularly, plays music, and many other things, all at the same time, while drawing well under 1 watt. There is no reason the car cannot keep key computer functions and comms active for a negligible draw. Its battery is more than 6000 times larger than my cellphone battery.