Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You can't really appreciate "Tesla Time" until you get out of the Bay Area.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on these boards for a few months now and have had my Model S for 2 months. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have enjoyed reading about people's experience with "Tesla Time" where they will have complete strangers come up and have long discussions about the car.

Personally, I've only experienced this once or twice in my daily travels.

Yesterday, we completed a week long road trip down the coast to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, out to Pasadena and then spent three days in Las Vegas. Coming back we stayed in Palm Springs and Santa Monica.

What I discovered, once I was out of the Silicon Valley vicinity, was that "Tesla Time" is a real thing! At every hotel we stayed at, the bell staff and customers would marvel at the amount of luggage that my party of five would pull out of the back and the frunk. I had one guy come up saying that he thought I was having car trouble until he saw me pulling luggage out of the hood! When we were checking out, the porters would confess that their initial reaction was "Where am I going to put all this stuff" until I popped the frunk open.

No where was this more apparent that at the Four Seasons Hotel in Las Vegas. In Sin City, amidst all of the glitz, I gave tours of the Model S to two front desk staff and a lot of the valets. When I checked in, I mentioned that I needed to use the charging station at Mandalay Shops and the front desk girl exclaimed "A Tesla!". The young man at the front desk was reciting the mantra "Zero Emissions!". Guests were stopping by and asking me how I liked it and what it had replaced (a 7 series). I couldn't believe that I was the first Model S that had pulled into the Four Seasons. The valets said that if I wanted to park there after getting my charge, they would keep my car out in front of the hotel. The head valet told me that he had spoken with the GM about installing a charging station after I mentioned that the primary reason I was staying there instead of the Wynn, my usual Vegas home, was the proximity of the charging stations. While I was staying there, the announcement came out that Vegas was getting 100 Model S cars in some sort of zipcar like car sharing arrangement.

In Palm Springs, as we were getting ready to drive away, an elderly woman knocked on my window and pelted me with questions. She said she was getting ready to purchase a Bentley but was considering getting a model S instead. Everywhere we went, my wife would comment "Why is that guy looking at us?" until she remembered we were riding in my Model S.

We are so jaded out here in the Bay Area. Do yourself a favor and take a road trip. The Tesla Time will be amazing!

Last edited:
Totally Love Tesla Time! Living in St Louis they are still pretty rare. When we attend car shows I almost feel sorry for the other attendees. We have crowds around the car the whole day.

Went downtown last weekend and took Washington st, which is a very popular area with alot of night clubs. Felt like a celebrity with all the finger pointing and gawks. Love it, the more attention the Teslas get the more will get sold and the greater the benefits of having them on the streets vs ICEs.

When I first got my Model S (last October), Tesla Time happened every time I went out in the car. My kids loved it because they felt like celebrities with everyone looking at them and asking questions, giving thumbs up, taking pictures etc.

Now, it's not as frequent, but still happens at least every few days, and people are constantly looking at the car and probably not asking questions out of politeness more than anything else. I find that about a third to half of people asking me about the car are tourists (we're in high season here in Miami). It is a great feeling to be able to tout the car and talk about all of its great features (100% EV, speed, trunk space etc.) and feel like you're spreading the word.

On a side note, I love the Four Seasons in Vegas and it's a great message you are sending that you're staying there instead of the Wynn because of the charging station in the lot nearby. You should let the Wynn know that they lost your business because of this.

No kidding. :)

I live in Miami, and both the Roadster and Model S have gotten mobbed consistently. Different kind of attention, though... people drool over the Roadster's sleek and sexy shape and the "supercar" ambience, but they "ooh" and "ahh" over the Model S with a "this is my next car" gleam in their eye. Totally different vibe.

Yesterday, we went shopping at Sawgrass Mills. Our departure was delayed by roughly half an hour because my car turned into a one-car show when I popped the frunk to put in the bags, then popped the rear hatch to put in my four-year-old. The valets and a bunch of shoppers went nuts. Even my wife was answering Tesla questions. :-D

I enjoy Tesla Time and have gotten used to adding a little flex time to my schedule. I also carry some Tesla Model S brochures with me now. What I have not stopped doing is warning valets about the power of the car and the instant torque response. :-D

+1 to this. I did have way more Tesla time once I was out of the Bay Area and LA metro areas.

It is funny you mention the woman and the Bentley, because there are a lot of Bentleys driving around Palm Springs. I parked next to a couple of Continental GTs at a restaurant one evening. When we returned to the car after dinner there were a few gawkers, and they weren't looking at the Bentleys. :) I pretty much had an encounter any time that I parked in public in Palm Springs.

I also got quite a few double takes when taking stuff in and out of the frunk. That's always a riot. :)

Yes, same sort of thing happened to me in Julian yesterday. I took a visiting friend for a long drive on the back roads from San Diego (94, Buckman Springs Rd, Sunrise Highway, stopped in Julian for pie, 67, Old Julian Road, Wildcat Canyon Road). When we stopped in Julian I had barely parked before people were asking me questions about the Model S, and Craig was really excited and answering for me! It was definitely a different vibe than in San Diego. People think of Julian as a long way, and I guess are surprised to see an electric car there.

Even my wife was answering Tesla questions. :-D
My wife proved to me she is the coolest wife in the world on this trip. After I took a protracted amount of time returning from parking the car in Pasadena. I explained that I had to go to two garages to find an available charging spot and we were down to eight miles of range.

She accused me of "Brodering around" !!!

I also live in the SF Bay Area. For me, I have "Tesla time" almost every where I go in public with this car, and now it has started in earnest at my workplace. Last week I was in the supermarket parking lot when I was approach by a guy who said his company makes the UMCs, or at least is bidding on some project related to them. We talked for 5-10 mins about the car.

I also live in the SF Bay Area. For me, I have "Tesla time" almost every where I go in public with this car, and now it has started in earnest at my workplace. Last week I was in the supermarket parking lot when I was approach by a guy who said his company makes the UMCs, or at least is bidding on some project related to them. We talked for 5-10 mins about the car.

Tesla Time is MUCH more fun with people who don't know anything about Tesla or the Model S. It's nice to show people the car who are into it and know all about it, but the wonder and amazement of people who've never heard of Tesla, have no idea it's an EV, and otherwise are completely clueless about it is totally priceless. For me, that's the Tesla Time I enjoy the most, by far. I feel a wee bit sorry for those in the Bay Area who don't get to experience that quite as much because so many people there know Tesla. OTOH, you have superchargers, the factory for tours and tons of places for charging, so it's more than an even swap! :)

I applaud all of you owners who have the patience and enthusiasm to indulge questions and spread the word about the car.

And you Miami guys, maybe my mom will be one of those asking you about your Model S one of these days - she lives there and has a Bentley, and I joined this forum to learn more about the car and hopefully talk her out of the Bentley and into the MS with a clear conscience.

And you Miami guys, maybe my mom will be one of those asking you about your Model S one of these days - she lives there and has a Bentley, and I joined this forum to learn more about the car and hopefully talk her out of the Bentley and into the MS with a clear conscience.

I'm sure we'd all be happy to speak to her, but you should send her to one of the stores down here and tell her to take a test drive. Once she tries it, the car will sell itself!

I've been on these boards for a few months now and have had my Model S for 2 months. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have enjoyed reading about people's experience with "Tesla Time" where they will have complete strangers come up and have long discussions about the car.

Personally, I've only experienced this once or twice in my daily travels.

Yesterday, we completed a week long road trip down the coast to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara, out to Pasadena and then spent three days in Las Vegas. Coming back we stayed in Palm Springs and Santa Monica.

What I discovered, once I was out of the Silicon Valley vicinity, was that "Tesla Time" is a real thing! At every hotel we stayed at, the bell staff and customers would marvel at the amount of luggage that my party of five would pull out of the back and the frunk. I had one guy come up saying that he thought I was having car trouble until he saw me pulling luggage out of the hood! When we were checking out, the porters would confess that their initial reaction was "Where am I going to put all this stuff" until I popped the frunk open.

No where was this more apparent that at the Four Seasons Hotel in Las Vegas. In Sin City, amidst all of the glitz, I gave tours of the Model S to two front desk staff and a lot of the valets. When I checked in, I mentioned that I needed to use the charging station at Mandalay Shops and the front desk girl exclaimed "A Tesla!". The young man at the front desk was reciting the mantra "Zero Emissions!". Guests were stopping by and asking me how I liked it and what it had replaced (a 7 series). I couldn't believe that I was the first Model S that had pulled into the Four Seasons. The valets said that if I wanted to park there after getting my charge, they would keep my car out in front of the hotel. The head valet told me that he had spoken with the GM about installing a charging station after I mentioned that the primary reason I was staying there instead of the Wynn, my usual Vegas home, was the proximity of the charging stations. While I was staying there, the announcement came out that Vegas was getting 100 Model S cars in some sort of zipcar like car sharing arrangement.

In Palm Springs, as we were getting ready to drive away, an elderly woman knocked on my window and pelted me with questions. She said she was getting ready to purchase a Bentley but was considering getting a model S instead. Everywhere we went, my wife would comment "Why is that guy looking at us?" until she remembered we were riding in my Model S.

We are so jaded out here in the Bay Area. Do yourself a favor and take a road trip. The Tesla Time will be amazing!

Tesla time seems to be correlated with the distance from silicon valley and still happens quite a bit in areas that are probably still classified as the bay area (Castro Valley, Emmeryville, Richmond, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Livermore).

But when I took the car to Paso Robles I was like a friggin rock star! At one point, I had a crowd of at least six people watching as I showed off the features. My wife was starting to get kind of tired of all the attention so she would get in the car far more quickly than normal to encourage me to leave before another throng of people descended on us :)