Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your experience trading in a leaf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to trade in my Nissan Leaf with Tesla. Anyone here traded in their leaf? I just wondering what's your experience with your trade in?

My 11 leaf has a huge degraded battery (3 of 12 bars left) and just recently the EV system warning light came on. Do they inspect the vehicles before accepting the trade in? Tesla gave me an offer which isn't much but it's more than I could get selling it myself.

They don’t always inspect the vehicle since they are just buying it at wholesale price and turning it over to auction. But it’s possible they may look at it long enough to see the warning light. Was there any opportunity to make a warranty claim against the battery while it was still under warranty?

They don’t always inspect the vehicle since they are just buying it at wholesale price and turning it over to auction. But it’s possible they may look at it long enough to see the warning light. Was there any opportunity to make a warranty claim against the battery while it was still under warranty?

I had the dealer look at it last year and they said the warranty passed that covered the battery degradation part. Now that that I have EV warning light it's passed the 8 year warranty.

I traded my Leaf for my Model 3
I just had to take pictures of my car, include the instrument display (powered on)
Just run through the process and see what they offer.

It might be worth it to get it looked at and maybe the dealer can reset it.

I am currently trading in my 2018 Leaf. So far so good. I am currently leasing the Leaf, which caused some complications. Carvana offered me the most, but Nissan won't allow "third parties" to buy out my lease. So I would have to take out a loan, buy out the lease, wait for my car title to be sent to me, pay tax/title/registration, then sell the car to Carvana.

Quote from CarMax was low

Quote from Tesla was right in the middle. $1 less than the kbb value for "good condition". It's a fair price, and less of a logistics headache than Caravan. So I will be trading it in to Telsa in a couple of weeks.

I am currently trading in my 2018 Leaf. So far so good. I am currently leasing the Leaf, which caused some complications. Carvana offered me the most, but Nissan won't allow "third parties" to buy out my lease. So I would have to take out a loan, buy out the lease, wait for my car title to be sent to me, pay tax/title/registration, then sell the car to Carvana.

Quote from CarMax was low

Quote from Tesla was right in the middle. $1 less than the kbb value for "good condition". It's a fair price, and less of a logistics headache than Caravan. So I will be trading it in to Telsa in a couple of weeks.

That sound very complicated.
Couldn't you just pay the early termination for the lease and add that to your new auto loan?
That what I did when I had my 2015 Mazda 3.