Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your "Ideal" Model 3 Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would just produce the "base" model for the little while. Options (at no cost) for color (inside and outside), "nicely equipped", at $35k. Two wheel drive, 60-70kWh (whatever can get the range deemed practical.) If your $35k is a base model that nobody wants, and it's just there so that you can say that you've hit the target price, you lose on the mission. And enough people that would want the P and 100kWh and dual motor will still buy the "base" one, then upgrade a year or 18 months later, getting more people into the CPO cars...

I want a Model 3 P70+

-RWD rear motor only, around 400hp, 0-60 low 4s.
-Performance coil suspension with double wishbone/multilink.
-it would be nice to have a cloth performance interior and some kind of moon roof as well.

Yes, basically I want an electric BMW M3 for about 50 grand, maybe 60 max if gigafactory doesn't bring the battery price down enough. There's a reason it has been the benchmark for a long time.
The enthusiast model shouldn't be the top end, it should be the one most fun to drive.

Definitely do not want Leather. I live in Palm springs = 120 outside = leather will literally burn your skin. I suppose with the 3 you could turn on the AC prior to your entering the car, but I just would rather have cloth and not deal with it.

I live in Florida, and although it doesn't get that hot, it's still hot enough for a leather seat to scorch you. That being said, I still will not get another car without leather seats! I've shocked myself so much due to static electricity built up from fabric that every time I get out of a car with fabric seats, I literally pull myself out of the car holding on to the outer frame so I don't end up zapping myself closing the door. Air-conditioned leather seats would be my preference for the Model 3. Definitely was going to be a requirement for my next car regardless of Tesla or not.

Because Elon Musk said it would be. Admittedly that's not an ironclad guarantee, but good enough for our speculations.

Accessing the superchargers for free doesn't necessarily mean all cars are supercharger enabled. If enabled, you can access them for free. Even today, not all Model S's on the road are supbercharger enabled, even though all model S can access the superchargers for free.

So I'm kind of new to Tesla, I really like the idea of the Model 3. One thing I've not heard anyone really talk about is a front wheel drive only motor configuration. It would be ok to drive in the midwest winters and would keep weight and price down while providing traction for moderate winter driving

Really? I didn't even know such a thing existed. Kia, huh? Now I know I want it on the Model 3 -- we can't have a Tesla outdone by a Kia!

The Kia is simply holding us over until the 3 is available (we would've bought another MS or an MX if we could've!), but overall it's a pretty nice ride with the 3rd largest battery out there (next to Tesla's and the new 30kw Leaf).

But indeed I suspect A/C cooled seats will be standard on MS soon, and an option on the M3. And I have no doubts the M3 will blow every other EV out of the water!

I live in Florida, and although it doesn't get that hot, it's still hot enough for a leather seat to scorch you. That being said, I still will not get another car without leather seats! I've shocked myself so much due to static electricity built up from fabric that every time I get out of a car with fabric seats, I literally pull myself out of the car holding on to the outer frame so I don't end up zapping myself closing the door. Air-conditioned leather seats would be my preference for the Model 3. Definitely was going to be a requirement for my next car regardless of Tesla or not.

Amazon.com: Gates 90330 Static Strap: Automotive

I doubt we would add any options, as it will be a commuter for my wife; the range requirements would be minimal. Our main interests are low maintenance and the superior braking that regeneration buys you. However, it would have to be available in a 5-door, like our current Kia Spectra5. A small sedan wouldn't cut it.

Here is my proposed Model 3 Options List. I didn't see a complete list like this anywhere so please copy the list and insert your own options and prices and reorder them as you see fit. I am not attached to my numbers at all.

I think the total below is about $55K.

Maybe after we have a complete list, we could do a poll for what we would order. Tesla might even be interested in the results.

Base Price: $35,000
Battery Pack Mileage-260 Miles: $5,000
Dual Motor: $4000
Performance package: $1500
Air Suspension: $1200
Wheel/Tire package: $1800
Paint options: $750
Leather interior: $750
Sunroof: $800
Tech Package: $800
Autopilot: $1200
Sound System: $850
Subzero Package: $800
Cooled Seats: $500

Base Price: $35,000
Battery Pack Mileage-280 Miles: $6,500
Dual Motor: $3,500
Performance package: $6,000
Air Suspension: N/A
Wheel/Tire package: $1,800
Paint options: $750
Leather interior: $1,000
Sunroof: $1,000
Tech Package: $800
Autopilot: $1,500
Sound System: $800
Subzero Package: $800
Cooled Seats: $500

I am not familiar with the pricing in USD, so for Sub zero package, sound system and stuff, I just guessed their price based on what's above.

For Dual Motor, Range, and Performance, I think they will cost around 13~15k altogether.. unless the economy of scale and 'new technology' can bring the prices of those down by a lot..

Last edited:
I've said this before - the Model 3 better not go 260 miles for $35K. That will cheapen the brand and anger Model S/X owners. There needs to be a clear differentiation between two cars of the same brand that are 4x the price of each other. If the only difference is nicer seats or a nicer radio, why would anyone buy a Model S? Or worse, anyone thinking of buying those models will cancel their orders and buy the Model 3...and watch the extinction of the models that paid for the party.

I've said this before - the Model 3 better not go 260 miles for $35K. That will cheapen the brand and anger Model S/X owners. There needs to be a clear differentiation between two cars of the same brand that are 4x the price of each other. If the only difference is nicer seats or a nicer radio, why would anyone buy a Model S? Or worse, anyone thinking of buying those models will cancel their orders and buy the Model 3...and watch the extinction of the models that paid for the party.

I guess, more room, quicker acceleration, and stuff. In ICE cars, cheaper cars dont mean shorter range. Why should Tesla do that when it's supposed to appeal to hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people?