Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on Screen Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the abstract ocean anti-fingerprint screen protector, and I ran into some issues. When I finished installing the protector and exited “screen clean” mode, the screen started randomly zooming in and out, pulling up menus, etc. I of course freaked out (this was the day after I first picked up my car). I removed the screen protector and it got markedly better, but still was a little twitchy. It got worse again when I tried to reinstall the protector. In frustration I took the protector off and threw it away. The screen continued to be twitchy until I cleaned it again carefully with a wet cloth and let it sit.

Looking back on it, I think the problem was static buildup during the initial cleaning and installation process. The cloth I used to clean the screen might not have been a good choice (now I just use the cloth that came with the car). I suspect that static discharges were being detected as finger touches, and the screen was responding accordingly.

The whole event was disconcerting enough that I decided against trying to install another screen protector. For the reasons others have pointed out, I think it is unlikely I will scratch it, and I don’t want anything on there that might increase the likelihood of static buildup.

HI New to the forum but thought to reply. We just installed one Tuesday last week. fingerprint-less is the way to go. lays on nice. client also had me install the red Tesla decal over the chrome emblem. looks good. I have a shop in Chino/Chino Hills and we have done about a dozen Tesla Model 3's alone. We just finished up 2 this week and have 3 more next week. I love working on these cars and we are waiting for ours in November. We do ceramic tint, coatings, paint protection, chrome delete, wraps and more. Even custom wheels. I hope to get to no more about everyone here and provide the very best of services if needed. sorry for low quality pics. new computer so no uploads yet

Attachments

• WIN_20180727_19_18_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180727_19_18_58_Pro.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 151
  • WIN_20180727_19_20_02_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180727_19_20_02_Pro.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 100
which tempered glass is better?

topfit or abstract ocean?
Check out the reviews of topfit on amazon. Doesn’t look good. Also sounds like the topfit doesn’t have the slightly rounded bottom edge to make it fit perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074C1G76M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ug5xBb81BD054

I couldn’t be happier with my AO tempered glass protector. It’s like it’s not even there. Seems to resist fingerprints pretty well, although I can’t compare with the native screen, since I applied this immediately after removing the factory film.

Reactions: 0ptions
Check out the reviews of topfit on amazon. Doesn’t look good. Also sounds like the topfit doesn’t have the slightly rounded bottom edge to make it fit perfectly.

I couldn’t be happier with my AO tempered glass protector. It’s like it’s not even there. Seems to resist fingerprints pretty well, although I can’t compare with the native screen, since I applied this immediately after removing the factory film.

I can compare with the native screen. The ao tempered glass is so amazing on resisting fingerprints compared to the native screen, which is a fingerprint magnet. I also only have the 5.0 tempered glass too.

thanks for the find, I hadn't checked amazon reviews as usually
I like to hear from critical educated enthusiasts such as we find here!

Personally I don’t think the model 3’s screen needs a screen protector, and lately I’ve stopped using screen protectors on my phones too, as they always seem to get bubbles and dirt under them, making the experience of using the screen much worse than without them. Just my 2¢

Personally I don’t think the model 3’s screen needs a screen protector, and lately I’ve stopped using screen protectors on my phones too, as they always seem to get bubbles and dirt under them, making the experience of using the screen much worse than without them. Just my 2¢
I think this is dependent on the quality of your protector. I’ve used a lot of different brands on my iPhones, and they’re definitely not all equal. I usually do a lot of research on amazon to find the ones with lots of positive real reviews (the fake reviews are often pretty easy to spot).

That said, the AO HD tempered glass protector is just as good as the best phone screen protectors I’ve used. As with many things, you get what you pay for.

I guessed as much, but at first given this is model 3 forum,
and that the link to amazon reviews were about topfit model 3
screen protector it was confusing given that amazon reviews
were about the poor fit on the model 3 screen?

sorry, it ended up your post on topfit quality didn't really apply.

I think I mentioned in my first post that I had a Model S and not a 3, but screen protectors were important for me because of the blue reduction and eye strain. It's understandable if you didn't see it or didn't remember me from earlier.

I don't have bubbles under my phone screen protector or my model 3 Abstract Ocean screen protector. I'm not sure what ya'all are doing, where you're doing it or how clean you or your area is to have such poor luck with debris and bubbles under your protectors.