Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your thoughts on Screen Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone bought the Abstract Ocean glass in *gloss* (not matte)? If so, how's the glare on it? In their installation instruction video they admitted that the matte version reduced some of the resolution quality.... what was your experience?

Reactions: Chedawg
I’ve got a screen protector from Abstract Ocean and I’m very happy with it. I managed to get the alignment perfect when I installed it so you can’t even tell it’s there. There is no noticeable difference with the way the screen feels or the responsiveness. There is however a noticeable decrease in the amount of fingerprints that show up which is one of the main reasons I got it. While the likelihood of scratching is not that great I like having the piece of mind that there is some layer of protection in case something accidentally brushes up against the screen. They’re really not that expensive, I think I paid $15 or so for mine? It’s worth it in my opinion.
I have the same, got the glossy one. Can't even tell it's there, feels great under my finger and fits perfectly. Shipped quick too, purchased directly from Abstract.

Has anyone bought the Abstract Ocean glass in *gloss* (not matte)? If so, how's the glare on it? In their installation instruction video they admitted that the matte version reduced some of the resolution quality.... what was your experience?
It doesn't cause any more glare than the original glass (with factory film). It might reduce some glare but I didn't ever used the screen without protection. I left the factory film on mine until I received my protector and then swapped them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fudd and PoitNarf
As a current owner of an S, and waiting on my 3, I don't think a screen protector is required. As others have said, you can't drop or really break the screen unless it's some crazy off the norm circumstance.

Besides, I'm pretty particular about there being no dust or specs underneath the screen protector prior to application. I do not trust a professional or myself to put it on, while ensuring the screen is completely clean. Heck, when I got my Nintendo Switch, that's the FIRST thing I did after removing the original wrapping on the screen...and I still got a spec underneath the screen protector.

The film on the screen from the factory was still on mine when I took delivery. I didn’t notice it was there at first but when I got home I noticed some air bubbles and other marks on the screen and then it was very obvious that there was a protective film still attached to the screen. It came off pretty easily but I don’t recall any pull tabs for removal. I believe this film is usually removed when they prep your Model 3 for delivery but sometimes they forget about it. If it’s still there after you take delivery it should be very obvious that it’s there.
My protective film was not obvious, until I tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth with the screen lock turned on. It was only then that I saw lots of fine scratches, and started freaking out, because I thought my screen was scratched. The film they use has no tabs, is quite clear, and its edges are barely detectable, so I called my service center and they confirmed that they had left the film in place. I ordered the AO tempered glass protector, and left the film on, until the protector arrived. Even then, I had a hard time peeling the film off, because it was so firmly adhered to the screen.

+1 for the quality of the Abstract Ocean HD tempered glass protector. It’s undetectable, and worth $40 for the peace of mind that you won’t accidentally scratch your screen with a ring, or watch, or cleaning cloth. Some Tesla podcasts offer AO promo codes, too (good for your first purchase), if you’re on the fence and want to save a few bucks.

How can you tell the factory protector is still on (other than developing a case of the phantom touches)? Is there a pull off tab that should be obvious, or is it perfectly shaped to the screen such that you'd have to peel it off to know it's there?

I had no idea the protector was still on. It took 3 SC people to determine it so it's pretty well hidden. They eventually peeled a corner of it off so that's how they figured it out. You can probably check along the edges with a fingernail to see if you can pry it up. If you want to leave it, don't pull too much of it up.

I finally looked closely when in sunlight and I could see where the protector edge was. I couldn't see it in the garage or in shade. I'll leave it on until I get an aftermarket protector or it loses it's mind.

Has anyone done any side by side comparisons (images, youtube, whatever) of the matte and gloss Abstract Ocean tempered glass protectors? I'm leaning towards matte, but ...

i would consider a screen protector for shatter protection in an accident, reducing the chances of bits of glass flying around. I have no concerns about scratches from wear. I've actually also abandoned screen protectors on my phone (used to be religious about them) because I realized that I don't scratch the glass.

My factory protective cover was heavily scratched. I was like WTF when I was delivered the car and then realized it was just the cover.

Reactions: 0ptions
Knock on wood, @novox77. My phone had gone protector-less for 6 months. One day after I boasted that to my wife, I got a scratch. Things like happened from time to time in my life and I keep reminding myself to be cautious.

My factor protective cover was also scratched and there were also bubbles inside. At least for peace of mind, I installed a screen protector.

I prefer the feel of glass VS plastic ... Do you like yours, was it easy to install and would you recommend it?

They have a how to video on YouTube, just do a search. I watched that a couple of times before doing it myself. I think I did a great job putting it on. I did get a few tiny lint but you can only see them if the screen is off/black. Otherwise, it turned out great. I don't even feel the screen protector.

I purchased the Abstract Oceans glass matte screen protector.

I didn't get it to protect the screen as I don't think it needs that, however the matte finish really helps reduce glare. It's not perfect, but better than without.

I got the screen protectors to filter out the excess blue from the white LED backlights. I get terrible eye strain from unfiltered white LED lights. Both the Topfit and Abstract Ocean does the job.

My factory protective cover was heavily scratched. I was like WTF when I was delivered the car and then realized it was just the cover.
I freaked out for a moment too when I was taking delivery... I found some small bubbles immediately under my factory film in the middle of the map area when I was taking delivery and thought it was a glass imperfection but the delivery associate assured me it was the film, which it was :)