Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouTube setup for account with 2FA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I have a Model X and am trying to set up my YouTube account. I use 2FA (with a Titan key) so I am unable to use my regular google account and I created a Google app password. Unfortunately this is not working. I contacted Google and after hours (literally) of testing and debugging, we came to the conclusion that the app password created is intended to be used by an actual app and not a browser. The Tesla YouTube "app" seems to be an actual app, but it is not unreasonable believe it is acting like a browser.

So my question is: has anyone successfully gotten their Google YouTube account (that is configured to use 2FA) to work with their Tesla?

thanks,
Jordan

I had the same problem and was able to get it to work by enabling Google Prompts as an alternative 2 step verification method from my Google account security page on my computer. Then when logging in YouTube in the car it sent a notification to my phone which allowed me to authorise it from the phone. I haven’t figured out if it is permanent on the car or if I have to do this again periodically. But if permanent then you can switch off Google Prompts As a 2FA method.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I have added prompts as you suggested and am still unable to use my app password and am still getting nowhere :-(
I tried removing my titan key and phone as 2FA devices (only using SMS) with no luck. I removed SMS and reinstated my phone with no luck.

What is interesting is if I tell the app I have forgotten my password, it prompts for the most recent password I remember. When I enter the app password, it recognizes it and starts to go through the motions of changing my google password!

Arrg!!! I really don't want to use my google password in my car!

I had the same problem and was able to get it to work by enabling Google Prompts as an alternative 2 step verification method from my Google account security page on my computer. Then when logging in YouTube in the car it sent a notification to my phone which allowed me to authorise it from the phone. I haven’t figured out if it is permanent on the car or if I have to do this again periodically. But if permanent then you can switch off Google Prompts As a 2FA method.
Did you use your Google password or an app password?

After a lengthy discussion with a Google rep here is what I found:
  1. You must use your normal Google password because the YouTube app is specifically a Google app (not a 3rd party, like Outlook.)
  2. A Google app password will NOT WORK
  3. You don't have to remove your Titan physical key from your Google profile (if you are using one)
  4. Make sure you use your Android phone as a security key
  5. When prompted, select "choose another option" and select "your phone". This will ignore the Titan key and send a push message to your phone (or, god forbid, an SMS message)
I hope this helps someone in the future...

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
After a lengthy discussion with a Google rep here is what I found:
  1. You must use your normal Google password because the YouTube app is specifically a Google app (not a 3rd party, like Outlook.)
Actually, the YouTube app is not really an app at all. It is just a browser in full-screen mode. It shows as a browser on a Linux computer in your Google account. That's why you can "escape" to other sites from it.