Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouYou Xue crashed while on autopilot (aka Model 3 Road Trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, it only takes one F up for all the cards to fall.

Cars can have bad SW from the factory. Only Tesla can correct that directly (US manufacturer rules)

Have all Chysler's cards fallen due to 5 million cars built since 2014 with defective cruise controls?
Did diesel-gate wipe out VW?

The ability to create a really bad yet functional update is very small (assuming they are using a model based SW approach). The worst possibility for Tesla is an update that breaks the ability to update on a specific date 6 months in the future.

I'll take Tesla's OTA updates and Elon's tweets any day of the week. I'll also take pushing the envelope in the name of safety. Hiccups? sure. Deaths as a result - not because of the tech.

I tried hammering the 'Like' button repeatedly but it only took once.

The expression "This is why we can't have nice things" totally applies here.

Mod note: 4 posts moved to snippiness due to the use of the word "fanboy" or quoting of posts that did so. This term, or the opposing term "troll" are considered ad hominem and are not permitted. Please try to stick to the argument and leave the dismissive personal terms out of it.

<edit: fixed link so it goes to the right URL instead of a music theory chord diagram :) >

Last edited:
Seems to me I’ve read a lot of posts from folks crowing about how many miles they’ve gone on AP without a disengagement. Like that’s an accomplishment. Like completing a level on a video game. Really.

I don’t think it’s a competition or it shouldn’t be. Hopefully it’s a testament to how good the system is.

I for one would be raging if I’m driving behind a Tesla attempting to set a hypermillng record.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Seems to me I’ve read a lot of posts from folks crowing about how many miles they’ve gone on AP without a disengagement. Like that’s an accomplishment. Like completing a level on a video game. Really.
I think you are missing the point of these posts. They are saying EAP is perfectly safe when used as designed, within current design parameters, tested over 1000's of miles by actual users.

Mod note: 4 posts moved to snippiness due to the use of the word "fanboy" or quoting of posts that did so. This term, or the opposing term "troll" are considered ad hominem and are not permitted. Please try to stick to the argument and leave the dismissive personal terms out of it.

<edit: fixed link so it goes to the right URL instead of a music theory chord diagram :) >
Can you explain why mine was moved? I was responding, but in my opinion , not in kind...

Technically, "fanboy" just means that: someone who is a fan of something. There is nothing inherently sinister calling someone a fanboy if used innocently. "Fanboys" can still accept faults and criticism of that which they are fans of.
"fanboi", on the other hand, is the version of a fanboy that will defend whatever they are a fan of to the ends of the Earth, never admitting fault or giving an inch, and countering any even perceived slight of that which they are a fan of with an onslaught of counter-attacks.
Urban Dictionary: fanboi

So if you want to really start a fight, use "fanboi" vice "fanboy". :p

Reactions: cwerdna and MXWing
Technically, "fanboy" just means that: someone who is a fan of something. There is nothing inherently sinister calling someone a fanboy if used innocently. "Fanboys" can still accept faults and criticism of that which they are fans of.
"fanboi", on the other hand, is the version of a fanboy that will defend whatever they are a fan of to the ends of the Earth, never admitting fault or giving an inch, and countering any even perceived slight of that which they are a fan of with an onslaught of counter-attacks.
Urban Dictionary: fanboi

So if you want to really start a fight, use "fanboi" vice "fanboy". :p

I laughed. I would be generally surprised if there were actual “fanbois”. You “generally” don’t get to own Tesla’s without some base level of financial and mental wherewithal.

Attacking Tesla is free however without any kind of ownership requirement or reasoning skills.

I am quoting your post, which uses the word "fanboy" in it. Please move your post to snippiness, as well as mine. Thanks!

You are so wrong. The car clearly was at fault. I have one just like his and mine has tried to kill me several times.
I have received 24 “disagrees” for this post. When my 3 finally kills me, I hope you will all be satisfied. In the meantime I am embarking on two new projects: hypermiling my 3 until I permanently flatline the battery and traveling across Tesla-challenged Eastern European countries in my 3. Disagree away.

I have difficulty understanding why the car tried to move from the left lane to the right lane?
I had the impression that the car was on the right lane and hit the barrier on the left
like the Sunnyvale, CA accident last month?
Also I am surprise about the very little damage almost unnoticeable made to the barrier?
Since you quoted my diagrams in your post, It seems you are challenging my analysis.
I began with the assumption that the events happened the way that Youyou, the driver of the car during the accident, said that they happened. I then analyzed the physics of that case, and found that Youyou's description defys the laws of physics. I therefore conclude that it didn't happen the way Youyou described. From there it is purely speculation what actually did happen. I chose a minimal dispute with his claims that would suggest the "swerve" started at least 36 m before the barrier. But I suppose it's also possible that Youyou is completely wrong about what lane his car started in before the crash, or even what object he crashed into as you imply.