Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YouYou Xue crashed while on autopilot (aka Model 3 Road Trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A poor attempt at humor? :confused:
No, I live in fear of my Model 3 but get no sympathy on this board. Nevertheless, I will share all of the exciting details of my tour of Eastern Europe in my Model 3 as the details develop. This venture should be a smash hit on YouTube and guarantee hundreds of Model S and X “friends” referrals. I can almost smell a new, free S in my future — if I survive driving my 3.

Honestly, this scares me - the X accident and this one and other people claiming their Teslas were trying to kill them; there's a statement in comments in You You's facebook page like this:
" I had this happen to my 2017 Model S a few weeks ago and glad I had my hands on the steering wheel as it could have been very bad......but just sold the car last week anyways and just bought a 2018 Audi RS5 today as my replacement."

FYI, my Model X tried to wreck on De Anza Blvd. in Cupertino (or maybe that's far enough south to be San Jose), suddenly veering towards the median. And there's an exit ramp from CA-17 in Scotts Valley where it aims for the gore point almost every time. (Fortunately, there is no *physical* gore there.) And in several versions, it randomly suddenly steered towards the concrete center barrier on CA-17 while driving only a coupe of feet away from it. So basically, a half second response time was necessary to avoid a serious accident.

These events are sudden, and come with no warning other than the car suddenly veering hard in one direction. They're scary a h*** when they happen to you, no matter how carefully you are paying attention.

Mod note: 4 posts moved to snippiness due to the use of the word "fanboy" or quoting of posts that did so. This term, or the opposing term "troll" are considered ad hominem and are not permitted. Please try to stick to the argument and leave the dismissive personal terms out of it.
First off, this is the first forum I've ever been on where "snippy" posts get moved to their own locked thread. MyNissanLeaf started doing that, many years later. I guess I'm ok w/that practice.

Second, I've been on active web-based forums (including numerous car forums) with formats similar to this and what you might find on vBulletin, XenForo, etc. since at least early 2001 (you'll see I joined TiVocommunity in 2001). I've been on more primitive ones before that. Your posts in the past few months re: use of the word "fanboy" being considered an ad hominem attack and thus grounds for being moved to snippiness or where moderators get bent out of shape over its use (even just generically, not referring to any one person in particular) are new to me.

If this was a common practice here on TMC prior to this year, I missed it. It probably wasn't happening on threads I was reading, participating in or a moderator didn't note the move or why.

Years ago, when I was still a huge Prius fan (I'm still somewhat of a fan), someone another forum referred to me either as a Prius or Toyota fanboy. My response was "guilty as charged". I never took it as an insult and wouldn't today. If people referred to me as a Nissan or Leaf fanboy, I wouldn't be insulted either but I'm not quite to that point. Fan? Yes. Am I willing to accept legitimate criticism of either? Yep. I've laid out plenty against Nissan relating to Leafs (e.g. battery degradation, no thermal management, no prorated capacity warranty, etc.)

Thus, I don't agree w/your practice.

There is a Tesla fanboy (who is present on TMC) who is active in a forum I'm on. Let's just say I and others active in his threads when it relates to EVs or Teslas are frequently annoyed by his posts, because they are frankly, fanboyish.

Just did some digging earlier and found The psychology of fanboys, explained by a professional | GamesRadar+. Not surprisingly, I see a fair amount of that here. :( Is that what we want here at TMC? An echo chamber dominated by people who feel Tesla and Elon can do no wrong? Anyone who is a disbeliever is a heathen, short seller, troll, from the oil industry, etc?

I've had people attack me and belittle me in other threads here, mostly w/no consequences.

As for trolls, well, there are some true trolls here, like Keef and his alternate identities. What's wrong w/calling him what he is?
Technically, "fanboy" just means that: someone who is a fan of something. There is nothing inherently sinister calling someone a fanboy if used innocently. "Fanboys" can still accept faults and criticism of that which they are fans of.
"fanboi", on the other hand, is the version of a fanboy that will defend whatever they are a fan of to the ends of the Earth, never admitting fault or giving an inch, and countering any even perceived slight of that which they are a fan of with an onslaught of counter-attacks.
Urban Dictionary: fanboi

So if you want to really start a fight, use "fanboi" vice "fanboy". :p
Yep. The GamesRadar piece expands upon that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC and mattjs33
First off, this is the first forum I've ever been on where "snippy" posts get moved to their own locked thread. MyNissanLeaf started doing that, many years later. I guess I'm ok w/that practice.
I've always found the snippiness methodology to be more transparent and honest than what most forums do, which is to just hide everything from public sight. If you have good points and feedback, you have an opportunity to get into the thread and copy/paste what you want back. You can also see that other posts are moved away.

Your posts in the past few months re: use of the word "fanboy" being considered an ad hominem attack and thus grounds for being moved to snippiness or where moderators get bent out of shape over its use (even just generically, not referring to any one person in particular) are new to me.

If this was a common practice here on TMC prior to this year, I missed it. It probably wasn't happening on threads I was reading, participating in or a moderator didn't note the move or why.

Years ago, when I was still a huge Prius fan (I'm still somewhat of a fan), someone another forum referred to me either as a Prius or Toyota fanboy. My response was "guilty as charged". I never took it as an insult and wouldn't today. If people referred to me as a Nissan or Leaf fanboy, I wouldn't be insulted either but I'm not quite to that point. Fan? Yes. Am I willing to accept legitimate criticism of either? Yep. I've laid out plenty against Nissan relating to Leafs (e.g. battery degradation, no thermal management, no prorated capacity warranty, etc.)

Context is vastly important. When name-calling is used to avoid engaging in a content discussion, the quality of discourse is lowered. I have never once said I move contrary posts away, nor have I done so. Check the snippiness thread -- thankfully we have that transparency here. What I want to do with my moderation is keep discussions civil and productive, and avoid having it descend into a Twitter-esque sphere.

Just did some digging earlier and found The psychology of fanboys, explained by a professional | GamesRadar+. Not surprisingly, I see a fair amount of that here. :( Is that what we want here at TMC? An echo chamber dominated by people who feel Tesla and Elon can do no wrong? Anyone who is a disbeliever is a heathen, short seller, troll, from the oil industry, etc?

I've had people attack me and belittle me in other threads here, mostly w/no consequences.

As for trolls, well, there are some true trolls here, like Keef and his alternate identities. What's wrong w/calling him what he is?
You contradict yourself here. You're saying that the policy creates an echo chamber where everyone contrary is called a troll, but then come out and say that there are trolls and we should be able to call them out as well. Name-calling is intellectually lazy. It's no way to carry on a productive discussion, and it doesn't foster an environment that betters the participants. Attack the argument, not the person.

If you are being attacked, use that little "Report" button. I don't see every thread or post here, not by a long shot. I have a life that I live outside of these forums, but I do make a point to check and respond to reports.

Finally, remember that moderators are volunteers. We don't make the rules. In the scope of TMC-world, the admins are the legislators, and the moderators are the judges. We interpret to the best of our ability. There may be some inconsistency in enforcement depending on the tone of the subforum, etc., but we all do try our best to foster a productive environment.

Hope this helps.

Second, I've been on active web-based forums (including numerous car forums) with formats similar to this and what you might find on vBulletin, XenForo, etc. since at least early 2001 (you'll see I joined TiVocommunity in 2001). I've been on more primitive ones before that. Your posts in the past few months re: use of the word "fanboy" being considered an ad hominem attack and thus grounds for being moved to snippiness or where moderators get bent out of shape over its use (even just generically, not referring to any one person in particular) are new to me.

There is a Tesla fanboy (who is present on TMC) who is active in a forum I'm on. Let's just say I and others active in his threads when it relates to EVs or Teslas are frequently annoyed by his posts, because they are frankly, fanboyish.

Yep. The GamesRadar piece expands upon that.

I agree with @ohmman's response - and he was nice enough not to mention that some members (me) have actively advocated that 'fanboy' or 'drinker of koolaid' be treated the same as calling another member a troll.

Historically, using the 'troll' label got you a ride to snippiness, but not anything else. (And sure, there are trolls - those should just be reported so the forum management can decide if the person needs a one-way trip out of here).

Use of names like all of the above, plus others, is dismissive of the other person. It implies they are incapable of independent thought. It is dismissive and it usually results in an escalated response & the thread devolves.

There is not a single instance of use of labels where the same point could not be made without being dismissive. Disagreement is fine. Putting another member down is wrong. Keeping the namecalling down doesn't create an echo chamber, that just keeps discussions civil.

Fair?

Here's the video of the crash site I took a few hours after the accident. Tried to follow the exact path of You You's model 3, albeit going in a much lower speed:

Thanks for sharing.

Is it possible/plausible/probable that AP would have confused the arrows in the center of each lane as lane markings, thus causing the car to move to the right and straddle both lanes and head straight at the gore point? (Seems like a long shot to me, but maybe not totally out of the question.)

So did the car decide to take the exit on it's own?

Pretty sure the car in this video is not on AP. He's just trying to replicate the path that You You claims his car took.

Your turn signal was on for quite a while. Were you attempting to auto change lanes from the left to the right lane? If so, and it wasn't changing, is this a road that does not support auto lane changes? If it does support it, did your car auto change lanes to the right, taking the exit lane, or did you manually steer into the right lane at the last second?

As the video stands now, with no video of the IC showing complete state, nothing conclusive can be drawn from it, IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
A poor attempt at humor? :confused:

AS has tried to kill me 3 times. I saved myself each time by being ever vigilant but the car still tried to do incredibly dangerous things. It has saved me once (FCW when I was actually looking to change lanes and car in front braked hard for a missed turn (past their turn)), so I guess a net of 2.

The system isn't perfect, everyone should be aware of that fact before engaging it.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and jlv1
FYI, my Model X tried to wreck on De Anza Blvd. in Cupertino (or maybe that's far enough south to be San Jose), suddenly veering towards the median. And there's an exit ramp from CA-17 in Scotts Valley where it aims for the gore point almost every time.
Can you submit these locations to Tesla as a "AP problem"?
I am confused by the lack of prompt response to the X fatality, which is a similar scenario. Is it so hard to correct this behavior that it takes months?

This does not look or sound like Model 3.

It's not a Model 3. It's not even a Tesla. It's just a dude in an ICE vehicle trying to replicate the path that You You said his Model 3 took before it crashed.

There's more discussion of this video on the FB page, including comments from You You and Thanos (who recorded the video): https://www.facebook.com/pg/tsla3/posts/ (It was posted on May 28, so you gotta scroll down a bit to find it.)