Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zero Inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This month their focus is going to be on international sales. And China production should be live either late this year or early next year.

As for North American deliveries, we will have to see what effect the latest reduction in federal tax credit will have on demand. The drop represents a reduction of $1,875, which is not nearly as bad as when it dropped from $7,500 to $3,750. But a lot of potential buyers were pulled in during June so demand in North America may be a little soft for a while. If it does not pick up I would expect some type of discounts or incentives to kick in. My guess is they will wait at least a month before they consider anything since most of the production is headed overseas during the first month.

On Saturday/Sunday I was looking for Model 3 inventory for a friend in the Long Island area and nothing anywhere at that point.

Tesla in the past sold all their demos, loaners and inventory cars at quarter end. This was something that was happening before Model 3s came out and people in need of service found themselves with Enterprise cars instead of Tesla loaners they use to get for lengthy service visits. Sometimes they will throw in paint or wheels or credit for miles to someone who had ordered their car in a different config but the car wasn’t going to make it to where they were by end of the quarter (especially important to some if they could use the tax credit). Not something they had to take, but as you’ve seen on the forum many decide to switch. The issue people have is that the available cars in this category quickly dwindles and evaporates. It’s been this way end of quarter for awhile now.

Tesla did also say today that they had a backlog of orders for cars, so they have been selling more than they can make right now. I saw 3 car carriers filled with Model 3s south of the factory on 101 to 152 to I-5 in the last few days before quarter end, in fact last carrier was on Sunday 6/30.

Last edited:
I think another big factor is when they actually announce the "real" S refresh (not just the motor/suspension one) because if they suddenly bounce S sales back up another 10k they can a lot more easily "afford" to not drain every last 3 sale out of the market next quarter.