TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ZTE Mobley - WiFi Hotspot - Need Help from OBD2 Experts

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 1NJ85D, Aug 4, 2016.

1. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

I got an AT&T ZTE Mobley WiFi Hotspot to remotely access my Blackvue using its Cloud capability.

The ZTE Mobley fits nicely in the OBD2 connector, stays out of the way and works OK. The price is right (zero with a contract, $100 otherwise) and service is only $10/month (on a Mobile Share plan).

However, the ZTE Mobley turns itself off after the car is turned off. You can set a wait time of up to 2 hours, but you can't make the ZTE Mobley keep itself continuously on.

Here is the question for the OBD2 / OBD-II experts -- How does the ZTE Mobley know that the Model S has turned itself off? I thought the OBD2 connector on the Model S had only ground and (continuous) 12V power. I believe the OBD2 connector does not have a pin with switched 12V. What OBD2 signal is the ZTE Mobley lilkely leveraging to determine if the car is on?

I would like to "fool" the ZTE Mobley with a short OBD2 male/female cable.

Thanks!

2. tmarcc

tmarcc Member

I'm looking into portable WiFi hotspots as well. Does anyone have an answer to 1NJ85D's question?

@1NJ85D - does this device work with other carriers? Is it unlocked? Did you ever figure out how to keep the device from powering down?

3. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

I am on AT&T and, therefore, can comment only on AT&T devices.

The ZTE Mobley turns itself off 2 hours after the car is turned off. I have contacted them suggesting a firmware change to keep it constantly powered on (and they apparently liked the suggestion) but have not implemented it (I recently followed up).

I also tested the AT&T Unite Pro (powered from the OBD2 connector) but it freezes up after it is left powered for a day or two and you need to reboot it.

The only stable solution I know of to provide constant WiFi access in the car so that you can remotely access your cloud-capable dashcam is to use a small router (powered from the OBD2 connector) and use something like the AT&T Beam. I am currently using an old Cradlepoint CBR400 but you could also use, as an example, a Peplink Pepwave.

I have also looked at the 【Huawei E8372 Features 】 - Huawei Wingles - Huawei Official Site but have not been able to confirm they have a model that would work on AT&T.

4. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

5. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Check out this former thread: OBD Hotspot?

I ended up going with the free 1GB per month freedom pop solution discussed here:

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Awesome setup - thanks for the info