Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“More Valuable” Stealth Performance Model 3 Unicorn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Incredulocious

LEAF → RAV4EV → Model 3 → Model Y
Mar 31, 2012
Scotts Valley, CA
Yes, due to the change in available Model 3 options, the base Performance version without the bigger wheels, bigger brakes, suspension change, spoiler and pedals can no longer be ordered. This arguably makes it a rare unicorn of sorts.

While I would happily take the $5000 in exchange for my free unlimited supercharging if possible (see the 115-page-and-climbing thread), I’d like to suggest that our “stealth” Performance version is actually now more valuable rather than less.

You see, I didn’t order the additional $5000 performance upgrade package because I most definitely didn’t want the bigger, heavier, range-hurting wheels and I didn’t want the suspension lowered since I didn’t want any loss of clearance, particularly for time spent driving in the snow in Tahoe. I would’ve been fine with the aluminum pedals and perhaps the spoiler would be cool, but I certainly had no need for the bigger brakes which are really only necessary for hard repeated braking as encountered when tracking the car.

So, if I were ordering now, I guess I’d have to go with the base AWD version. Apparently you can’t just add the 18” Aero wheels over the bigger brakes and of course you can’t not get the slightly tweaked suspension. So, no way to get the boost in acceleration over the base AWD version without getting the whole performance package.

This makes my now very hard-to-get “stealth” Performance version all the more valuable – and a lovely unicorn: :D

DSC09681.jpg

DSC09732.jpg

@Incredulocious Do you get track mode with the Sleeper Performance? I recently placed an order on an inventory vehicle and am confused as to whether we get:
1. Acceleration of 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
2. Top speed of 162 mph
3. Track Mode

I'm aware that we do not get:
Suspension upgrades
Brakes upgrade
20" wheels
Rear Spoiler

Can somebody please confirm if we get the above three?

@Incredulocious Do you get track mode with the Sleeper Performance? I recently placed an order on an inventory vehicle and am confused as to whether we get:
2. Top speed of 162 mph
3. Track Mode

Suspension upgrades
Brakes upgrade
20" wheels
Rear Spoiler

1 and 3 for sure. That should be sufficient to make your decision. :)

2. Top speed of 162 mph
3. Track Mode

You get all this. Maybe not #2 but it's not likely to matter. (I suspect you get that as well, but there is "controversy" on that topic from a bunch of people who have not attempted to drive 162mph in their Model 3.)

2. Top speed of 162 mph
3. Track Mode

Suspension upgrades
Brakes upgrade
20" wheels
Rear Spoiler

Yes as others stated, you get #1, you get #3
#2 hard to say as the all season tires on the sleeper and lack of spoiler could mean the top speed is less, The car will be as fast though as any regular Performance model so cannot imagine the actual top speed matters.

To your list of what you don't get add the Metal Pedals inside.

Picked mine up 2 weeks ago. Your assumption is correct. It comes with 1,2, and 3. I added aftermarket pedals for $50. Got the Tesla OEM spoiled for $300 on eBay (and Tesla installed it at no charge). The other stuff I don’t care about. Maybe I like red caliper covers to match the other Performance but I don’t think it’s worth h $250 for that.

Top speed is a lame spec anyway. If you got anywhere near that speed on the roads you'd likely get arrested. And even on a track you'd need a pretty long straight to get up that high.
I guess the Western states really have changed... I admit, 162 would be pushing it, and there are so many more people, it probably has changed, but doing 120-140 through the desert wasn't unheard of...

I guess the Western states really have changed... I admit, 162 would be pushing it, and there are so many more people, it probably has changed, but doing 120-140 through the desert wasn't unheard of...

I got pulled over many years ago in the middle of nowhere doing 120mph, the cop "cut me a break" and only gave me a ticket for 25 over. It was still $195. You know you're in trouble when you're doing 120 and you see a car in the distance that's actually gaining on you. :eek:

2. Top speed of 162 mph
3. Track Mode

Suspension upgrades
Brakes upgrade
20" wheels
Rear Spoiler

Top speed is not 162. It’s in the 140’s. Yes on the other 2.