Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Standard Range” = 75D? Is a range upgrade coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “new” Standard Range Model S has identical specs to the 75D except range, at 270 miles vs 259 miles. The weight is exactly the same, the acceleration is exactly the same, the top speed is exactly the same. Logically, the battery in the Standard Range Model S would be 75 kWh. Simply put, they appear to have squeezed some additional range out of the battery. Does this mean 75D owners may be getting an 11 mile range bump over the air? Am I completely full of crap?

The software locked standard range S had the equivalent of 92kWh based on range and was definitely a software locked implementation of something larger capacity as it had option code BR06.

BR05 was the lock code for the non US BTX8 which is on older P85 battery design from but a true 16 module, 400v, 85kWh battery - locked down to 75kWh.

I assume that Tesla is consolidating the S/X battery chemistry since the old 14 module chemistry was different than the 16 module.

Last edited:
Standard Range model most likely has 14 modules of 100kwh pack which put it roughly at 85kw , which can explain weight of 75D and rage of 270 miles.

I was under the impression Tesla specifically stated that all the S/X variants now had the same 100 kWh battery and the base models were simply software locked to reduce range. Other than this anecdotal evidence in the configurator, I haven't read any news of a new 75 or 85 kWh or whatever battery pack. If it was real, I would expect the usual Tesla/EV websites to have covered it by now?

It has the same range (270) miles as the 85d had earlier. Which implies that it has a similar capacity. Why put a 100kw battery in it and lock away 15kw when you can use a 85kw pack.

Maybe the European BTX8 batteries was a test and that they now use these batteries in the standard range model s. ;)

It has the same range (270) miles as the 85d had earlier. Which implies that it has a similar capacity. Why put a 100kw battery in it and lock away 15kw when you can use a 85kw pack...
Looks like this was just for convenience for Tesla while removing the old 75kWh modules from manufacturing.
...Maybe the European BTX8 batteries was a test and that they now use these batteries in the standard range model s. ;)
BTX8 has the same serial number as the P85 battery and is 400v with 16 modules. The current standard range battery is 350v with 14 modules, likely just the old 100kWh with two modules removed.

The software locked standard range S had the equivalent of 92kWh based on range and was definitely a software locked implementation of something larger capacity as it had option code BR06.

BR05 was the lock code for the non US BTX8 which is on older P85 battery design from but a true 16 module, 400v, 85kWh battery - locked down to 75kWh.

I assume that Tesla is consolidating the S/X battery chemistry since the old 14 module chemistry was different than the 16 module.

14s 100kWh pack module should be around 88-89 kWh, which is more then 90 kWh pack. if you take into account 4 kWh buffer. And technically it should charge faster since it has more cells , not as fast as 400v pack but still.

Looks like this was just for convenience for Tesla while removing the old 75kWh modules from manufacturing.

BTX8 has the same serial number as the P85 battery and is 400v with 16 modules. The current standard range battery is 350v with 14 modules, likely just the old 100kWh with two modules removed.

Ah.. I see. Didn't know that the voltage of the standard range was communicated/known yet. But that does lower the chanses for higher charge rates for standard range cars.

Unless the order page states an after delivery upgrade to long range is possible, owners should not assume this will ever be available.

Unless Tesla wants all customers to order standard range at delivery (losing near term revenue), and decide later to purchase the long range upgrade later (if ever), it seems more likely customers buying standard range today - will never be able to upgrade to long range in the future.

Reactions: whitex
I'm not aware of the 75 kWh pack suddenly being re-introduced. That doesn't make any sense given the reason stated for dropping it only a few weeks ago!
Tesla was opening new stores and telling everyone how it's their key strategy for success less than 2 weeks ago. Now they are closing them. Welcome to agile business model.

I suspect software locked LR numbers are a few hundred at best, or maybe never produced at all, like the original S60D (sold for 2-3 weeks, never produced).