Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Within spec” 🤣

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Model Y Performance at the very end of July on a complete lark that I would get it in time to hit the height of the used car market with my trade in. Tesla estimated ~Oct 17th to Dec 17th or something even though the web site was showing August to September time frame.

Fast forward about ten days later and I’ve got a text message asking to take immediate delivery. I did a quick walk around of the car and glanced at the inside. Three or four minutes max. Gaps were better than the 2020 LR I was trading in and inside didn’t have any rips or stains (or weird folds) like my 2019 Model 3 SR+ had.

A couple weeks later I open the trunk… left cubby doesn’t have any carpet in it at all and instead is bare metal and plastic… well that explains the quick VIN assignment 🤣

A minor price to pay to get the car fast enough to get $70,200 on my 2020 LR trade (10k miles, 22 months old, FSD + Boost, original price like $11k less) and I was in Seattle anyway for another week or two so delivery was easy.

We’ll see if mobile service fixes this for free or if it’s considered “within spec.” Either way at least they have the little storage bin things now for those cubbies which I can buy and no one will know what’s under it.

BEE9B9FA-7705-4ED4-BCD0-1F7B85EFB512.jpeg

93654C6B-C173-4F12-8D24-F0C5AFB567F7.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Gaige and dino007
Yeah, this post seems a bit overblown.... If it's missing a piece of interior trim, they'll order it and bring it to install with mobile service. Very straightforward.
I mean you're not new here so its about par for the course. Come to the internet with a hyperbolic overwrought tale of woe, ask for troubleshooting advice where a search in the cars online manual would have answered the question, or asking unknowable questions like "Is this totalled!?!?!".

The person that had to wait a few hours for roadside assistance was my personal favorite within the last month.

This one is very tame by comparison.

it is not overblown. OP is overreacting or had zero issues with other car manufactures, which is unheard of.
Overreacting? I literally said I was going to contact Tesla and see what they would do... how is that overreacting?

I made this post to point out that in late 2022 we still have these issues. That maybe being "nice" and not spending 20 minutes or half an hour combing over the car isn't the best idea and you do need to grill Tesla every step of the way. This is information, I literally put a laughing face in the title of this post...

By the way, Tesla service had no problem with the request and ordered the part. We'll see if part 1492949-00-B (End Item, Trunk Load Floor, Rear) shows up in time or not to add it on to my HomeLink install in a couple weeks.

Edit: Hmm... Trunk load floor doesn't seem like the part that would go into the left cubby pocket... wouldn't that be part 1492954-00-C "END ITEM, TRUNK POCKET BRACKET LEFT HAND" ?

Edit: Also, sorry for overreacting that Tesla might have ordered the wrong part, I'm about 90 minutes from a service center and would like to save the mobile tech a trip.
tesla-parts.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
Overreacting? I literally said I was going to contact Tesla and see what they would do... how is that overreacting?

I made this post to point out that in late 2022 we still have these issues. That maybe being "nice" and not spending 20 minutes or half an hour combing over the car isn't the best idea and you do need to grill Tesla every step of the way. This is information, I literally put a laughing face in the title of this post...

By the way, Tesla service had no problem with the request and ordered the part. We'll see if part 1492949-00-B (End Item, Trunk Load Floor, Rear) shows up in time or not to add it on to my HomeLink install in a couple weeks.

Edit: Hmm... Trunk load floor doesn't seem like the part that would go into the left cubby pocket... wouldn't that be part 1492954-00-C "END ITEM, TRUNK POCKET BRACKET LEFT HAND" ?

Edit: Also, sorry for overreacting that Tesla might have ordered the wrong part, I'm about 90 minutes from a service center and would like to save the mobile tech a trip.
Seems silly they won't just ship you the part but Tesla doing Tesla things I guess....

Seems silly they won't just ship you the part but Tesla doing Tesla things I guess....
I totally wouldn't mind if they shipped it, mobile service is great, but I honestly don't want to tie them up for something this simple (assuming they get me the correct part) and especially since I'm pretty far from their base location (again, about 130 miles away). (It's also a little annoying the time windows they give me since I can't have them swing by my work since I work in a restricted access building)

Reactions: Pianewman
it is not overblown. OP is overreacting or had zero issues with other car manufactures, which is unheard of.
I don't see any overreacting...Not reacting in that way, which is how some people seem to think, is how we should be handling that...as in, it isn't a big deal, just deal with it.

There are some things which are little and a bit nitpicky...Missing stuff like that is just poor QA...Absolutely nothing wrong with expecting Tesla to do better...

Reactions: buckets0fun
I don't see any overreacting...Not reacting in that way, which is how some people seem to think, is how we should be handling that...as in, it isn't a big deal, just deal with it.

There are some things which are little and a bit nitpicky...Missing stuff like that is just poor QA...Absolutely nothing wrong with expecting Tesla to do better...

Note that this is not a moderator note, just a regular post, as a regular user, not ment to represent TMC, TMC moderators, or even "jjrandorin the moderator". It is the opinion only of "jjrandorin the regular poster".

With that out of the way......

==========================================

I dont see overblown or over reacting (in this post), but this OPs other thread they started recently fit within that category to me, so people could be reacting to the combination of those things. Also, perhaps its a generational gap thing, but not everything needs a new thread / post, imo. This could have easily been combined into "one more thing" in the OPs other thread about "Tesla is SOOOOOOO BAD at their Job!", as building a car is also part of Tesla's job.

Instead, it was broken out as another new thread.

With that being said, it is pretty bad that something like what is shown in the OPs post could make it all the way into a customers hands without realizing its not right. I absolutely agree with that part. I just happen to think not everything needs to be a social media post / thread, but as I said, that may be a generational thing.

With that being said..... Get off my lawn!!!!

Oldmanshoutsatcloud.gif

🤣

Last edited:
I specifically broke this out in another thread because this bugs me a lot less (oddly) than the customer service/communication side of things.

This is more "Oh that old Tesla at it again" because it's become a running joke that they rush cars out so fast they miss simple QA issues etc. Tesla is going to make good on this, we'll see if they do it in one trip or two, I still kind of think the wrong part has been ordered.

I also think this is just hilarious. I'm happy I got the car, honestly I would have accepted this even if I had noticed this before delivery. It needs to be improved for sure, but opening the trunk a week or two after delivery and lifting the bag with license plate frame and bracket out of that little cubby and feeling bare metal/plastic at the bottom and then seeing that just had me laughing. It's like a kid trying to pull a fast one on you by trying to hide that they didn't finish all their homework or something. 😄

The other post is actual frustration on what I have seen as zero improvement in communication from customer facing Tesla employees and the customer. It also is frustration in that they have redefined the delivery experience except clearly haven't put together a robust guide. I think I'm fairly on top of stuff, but if I was less computer savvy or older, or less knowledgeable about the cars, it would be insanely frustrating. I hate managers and meetings at work because I often feel it slows work down, but this is one case where I feel like Tesla could greatly use some tight management practices and weekly or even daily morning meetings with small groups of sales and service people.

Reactions: Corndart
Note that this is not a moderator note, just a regular post, as a regular user, not ment to represent TMC, TMC moderators, or even "jjrandorin the moderator". It is the opinion only of "jjrandorin the regular poster".

With that out of the way......

==========================================

I dont see overblown or over reacting (in this post), but this OPs other thread they started recently fit within that category to me, so people could be reacting to the combination of those things. Also, perhaps its a generational gap thing, but not everything needs a new thread / post, imo. This could have easily been combined into "one more thing" in the OPs other thread about "Tesla is SOOOOOOO BAD at their Job!", as building a car is also part of Tesla's job.

Instead, it was broken out as another new thread.

With that being said, it is pretty bad that something like what is shown in the OPs post could make it all the way into a customers hands without realizing its not right. I absolutely agree with that part. I just happen to think not everything needs to be a social media post / thread, but as I said, that may be a generational thing.

With that being said..... Get off my lawn!!!!

View attachment 854479

🤣
Could be...I think for very active forums where any new topic gets scrolled off very quickly then larger combined threads are fine...otherwise it keeps the forum active and discussions can be about specific topics..but that's just a philosophical discussion...

I have no issues with thinking this should be in the other thread...I just think there are too many people that think this type of thing is just not a big deal and we should just move on...and to me that's just wrong...

I’ve never had defect of build issues with any car I have ever bought in the last 39 years. It’s not unheard of. My 2 month old Y has the door panel delaminating on the interior and two new dash boards. My last 3 had two seat replacements, steering wheel and dash replaced. Seems Tesla can’t find a way to keep materials to stick to other parts, still.

Tesla literally doesn't care, they want to check that vin as sold. The SA adviser will stand with you at pick-up, look at these defects with their own eyes, and just say you have 48hr and 100 miles to make your service claims.
I was actually told the 100 miles is basically gone now. He stressed that if it was something big (for example what I found) that they'll make it right, but if it's gaps, scratches, paint chips, etc then it's basically now once you drive away it's done. Apparently people were "abusing" the 100 mile deal.

Lets be realistic, the abuse probably were actual issues from the factory but just were way more than what would have been discovered from an initial walk around.